Yen Press or Baka-Tsuki?

koyomi

So I am planning on reading the light novel, Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, or HakoMari.

I've heard it's really good but I can't decide between the Yen Press translations and Baka-Tsuki's. 

This is my first time reading a LN so I don't really know much about the translation quality or level of localisation of any of those two.

Does anyone have some experience with the quality of both Baka-Tsuki and Yen Press?

I've read all the (currently available) High School DxD LN volumes on Baka-Tsuki (several thousands of PDF pages) I've never noticed a single spelling mistake or error... or maybe a handful of them at best. So I'd say Baka-Tsuki is very good. Never heard or tried Yen Press... sorry.

Edited by Scyrous

• 3 months later...

Yen Press is official american company, that publishes manga and novels translated, they do print also and do digital release trough amazon kindle, nook and further. So  it depends, I guess they're comparable, but bakatsuki will probably retain honorifics and other stuff because they're fan translations . Meanwhile yenpress makes it more localized as official product for English communities, and you won't have to worry much about translation quality besides that either. I think both are sufficient to fully enjoy series, but I myself prefer official. Of course if you can't find it ripped by someone , you've then buy it online, or order through amazon in print. Also your wanted series will come out by Yenpress only in October 2017 1st Volume. The series has 7 volumes in total, and bakatsuki translated all of them already completed, meanwhile Yenpress tends to officially release like 1 volume per 2-3 months if not longer it takes for them.  Why not just read bakatsuki if you want it so much? and if you like it then order through amazon or bookdepository or try to find online rip by yenpress, or buy digital on kindle. If you have no money and want yenpress luckily sometimes other people upload ebook files on nyaa and other trackers. Of course having printed book is the best, as it doesn't strain eyes for me as much xD I recently can't find any time for novels, as am too distracted, even though i've a lot of time sadly:(

Edited by dorall

Yeah, right after posting this thread, I found out that yen press hadn't even released it yet. Guess I should've looked it up a bit more. ^_^

I know that nyaa and BakaBT have a lot of official and unofficial releases of LN and manga (most of which I downloaded during the freeleech week last month. xD) But yeah, I''ll try reading the Bakatsuki translation and if I like it, I'll try to buy the official releases.

Well, I'm the opposite. I want to watch and read so much but just can't find any time. Damn you exaaams!!

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.