Anime that you'll never ever watch again

HYL

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I decided to check this anime not too long ago and happened to be on netflix, it's called: Ōoku: The Inner Chambers. I somehow didn't enjoy it that much and it's a horror one.  The screenshot of the animation got me like, I should check it out due to great animation and all. If you fully get into it, now you could finally say your piece, if it's actually the greatest or whatnot.

A lot of nice boat 'enjoyers' in this thread... Understandable. 

Smartphone Isekai.

I guess the blandness stood out to me for some reason when trying to come up with something. You could probably win isekai cliche bingo with it. The recent abridged one-shot reminded me of it's existence.

I tend to not re-watch things solely because the eternal backlog. I'd generally prefer to watch something on the backlog than to rewatch something I've seen already.

But there is often a show I'd love to rewatch, I just don't tend to do so.

17 hours ago, Koby said:

I tend to not re-watch things solely because the eternal backlog. I'd generally prefer to watch something on the backlog than to rewatch something I've seen already.

I fully agree with that sentiment. My backlog only grows as time passes.

Though I got the impression the question was about specific anime you had such a negative experience with that you'd never want to see it again, hence all the mentions of series like School Days. Personally, the worst thing I can say about a series is that its uninteresting, which train wrecks that you can't look away from are anything but.

Well if we're talking about shows we watched to completion but disliked it enough to definitely never want to revisit it, one of the first that come to mind for me would be Little Witch Academia.

I actually haven't enjoyed any Trigger Studio anime to this date and have gotten to the point of just avoiding anything produced by the studio. It's just not my taste.

I'm an odd ball in that I actually liked and enjoyed School Days when I watched it back when it initially aired.

4 hours ago, Koby said:

Well if we're talking about shows we watched to completion but disliked it enough to definitely never want to revisit it, one of the first that come to mind for me would be Little Witch Academia.

I actually haven't enjoyed any Trigger Studio anime to this date and have gotten to the point of just avoiding anything produced by the studio. It's just not my taste.

I'm an odd ball in that I actually liked and enjoyed School Days when I watched it back when it initially aired.

I liked Edgerunners, but I can't say i've enjoyed any of Trigger's other mecha works (DITF, Gridman).

School Days was actually my first romance anime. I naively jumped in with no clue of the fiasco about to happen. I don't think it deserves as much hate as it gets though (maybe a little nostalgia goggles I have for anything from that period).

Cromartie High School - Just not my style of humor. Loud =/ funny. I'm sure there were a few good bits, but you'd have to pay me for a re-watch.
Wild Arms: Twilight Venom - Big fan of the game series, but this was somewhat juvenile & had tons of filler.
Gunslinger Girl: Il Teatrino - Boring.
Inferno Cop - Same as Cromartie High.
Ghost in the Shell - GitS hits a really weird spot for me because I know deep down that it's quality material, but the subject matter refuses to click with me. I've seen the series, which I will revisit eventually for a 3rd try, but here we're talking about the movie/OVA, which didn't interest me in the slightest. A lot of people enjoy theorizing about A.I. / robots, and whether they should have rights, etc. I've always found that answer to be an easy "no", so the big question GitS leads up to is a nothingburger for me. Since I'm not interested in the human vs robot analysis, GitS comes across as a bunch of high-brow, intellectual fart sniffing over a simple question.
R.O.D: The TV - Had some good moments, but the budget suffers as the show goes on and there are a lot of boring, throwaway episodes. I can't tell you the names of the characters or what happened despite watching a year ago. The OVA is worth a watch, however. I like Yomiko Readman.

Final Fantasy: Unlimited - Yikes.

Violet Evergarden - Snoozefest. Had to watch a lot of this one drunk with friends to make it through.
Claymore - Had really high hopes for this one, but the budget held it back. The action isn't as frequent or action-y as I expected? I wanted to watch this for over a decade and I think I built it up too much in my head. I was let down.
Shuten Douji - 80's stuff can be really cool, but this was just sort of janky. It was fun to watch once, however. I doubt I'd invest time twice for a middling older series when there's so much to watch.
Key The Metal Idol - GitS 2.0

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zemekis said:

Ghost in the Shell - GitS hits a really weird spot for me because I know deep down that it's quality material, but the subject matter refuses to click with me. I've seen the series, which I will revisit eventually for a 3rd try, but here we're talking about the movie/OVA, which didn't interest me in the slightest. A lot of people enjoy theorizing about A.I. / robots, and whether they should have rights, etc. I've always found that answer to be an easy "no", so the big question GitS leads up to is a nothingburger for me. Since I'm not interested in the human vs robot analysis, GitS comes across as a bunch of high-brow, intellectual fart sniffing over a simple question.

I can understand where you're coming from, but shows like GitS and Psycho-Pass are like my bread and butter. I've enjoyed everything, including the latest CGI SAC_2045 seasons on Netflix.

I guess in a similar vein, that's why I didn't find Time of Eve as boring as most. Also enjoyed Alita: Battle Angel, which despite critics I actually somewhat liked the live-action remake of that and wished it had gotten the sequel as it basically ended in the same spot the OVA did.

Violet Evergarden - Snoozefest. Had to watch a lot of this one drunk with friends to make it through.

Agreed here. It's a 720p production, but their use of lots of filters has people thinking it's some high quality production and they watch it for that aspect alone. But to me the story was so bad that I just can't get past that to want to enjoy the visuals.

Claymore - Had really high hopes for this one, but the budget held it back. The action isn't as frequent or action-y as I expected? I wanted to watch this for over a decade and I think I built it up too much in my head. I was let down.

One of my favorites on the list of "wish it got a manga accurate remake". Enjoyed my time with it, but it's one of those heavy grained standard-definition 480p digital productions of the early 2000s and as such has not aged gracefully in the visual department. The show also jumped off a cliff in terms of the story sticking to the source and ended with an original ending killing any potential for a sequel to happen. Still I enjoyed the character and the stories and it remains rather high on my list of favorites.

6 hours ago, Koby said:

I can understand where you're coming from, but shows like GitS and Psycho-Pass are like my bread and butter. I've enjoyed everything, including the latest CGI SAC_2045 seasons on Netflix.

I guess in a similar vein, that's why I didn't find Time of Eve as boring as most. Also enjoyed Alita: Battle Angel, which despite critics I actually somewhat liked the live-action remake of that and wished it had gotten the sequel as it basically ended in the same spot the OVA did.

Agreed here. It's a 720p production, but their use of lots of filters has people thinking it's some high quality production and they watch it for that aspect alone. But to me the story was so bad that I just can't get past that to want to enjoy the visuals.

One of my favorites on the list of "wish it got a manga accurate remake". Enjoyed my time with it, but it's one of those heavy grained standard-definition 480p digital productions of the early 2000s and as such has not aged gracefully in the visual department. The show also jumped off a cliff in terms of the story sticking to the source and ended with an original ending killing any potential for a sequel to happen. Still I enjoyed the character and the stories and it remains rather high on my list of favorites.

Fair enough. I would have liked a more manga-accurate Claymore anime as well. I understand why other people like GitS, it just misses the mark for me. Folks seem to REALLY like GitS when it does click, so I'm a bit jealous of that actually.