Issue with Edit Topic buttons

Bal60

When editing an existing topic, once you're actually in edit mode, there is no save button (as there use to be) only cancel and edit topic buttons. This causes some confusion since it's not really clear that you need to click the "edit topic" button to actually save the changes you just made.

From my own prior experience administering a board such as this, the most likely cause is a change in the actual "button text" defined in the edit topic template (likely during template updates.)

Can the text for this button be changed back to "save" to avoid confusion?

Thanks!

This could be done, but it's also going to require 9 themes, and re-editing them every time a forum software update is required which is pretty much a monthly occurrence. It seems like a very minor thing that would ultimately amount to a lot of extra work going forward and honestly I don't really think it's an actual issue. Clicking 'edit topic' officially publishes the edits you've done. I don't recall if it ever was Save or not and if it was I'm not sure when it was changed as it's not something I ever personally noticed myself. Editing actual posts seem to have the button as save, so it's only when editing the topic that it appears. Technically it isn't actually wrong. Save, Publish, Submit, Edit Topic; it's still fairly straight-forward as to what it does. The forum is auto-saving every few moments while your typing/editing a post anyways and it stores that draft for up to 48 hours. You can see this if you type something, leave the page, and come back to the reply box again for example. So ideally, I'd probably prefer the button say Publish rather than Save.

3 hours ago, Bal60 said:

Thanks!

And I understand the whole having to edit a bunch of templates thing, just didn't realize the templates here where updated that often.

19 minutes ago, Catar said:

Mostly security updates, I'd assume, but even those can affect templates in ways you wouldn't expect.

IPS still haven't got their 'update theme' feature working right. It tends to either not work at all, or mess up something along the way. So every update that has theme edits or changes something that requires IPSFocus to edit something in the theme; we have to delete the themes and reinstall them from scratch and then re-apply all of our customization edits. IPS pushes out a new version of the software nearly every month as IPS4 is still fairly recent and in need of constant updates to add the newer features they plan to add as they continue to fix bugs discovered along the way while also tweaking performance. So I'm pretty much having to do this every month at least once across 7 themes currently that require it. I really wish they would work on getting the Update Theme feature to be less buggy. It works for some and for others it has never worked or only worked on occasion. So I don't even attempt to try it anymore outside of my demo board I utilize for testing things and designing themes.

8 hours ago, Catar said:

Mostly security updates, I'd assume, but even those can affect templates in ways you wouldn't expect.

Been there, done that... have the bruises from trying to figure out why a simple security update messed up a bunch of templates to prove it! icon_bangwall.gif

As for the IPS themes update issue, all I can say is...

icon_thumbsdown.gif OUCH!! icon_thumbsdown.gif

I sympathize with ya and sure am glad it ain't me having to deal with it!

Edited by Bal60