Occultic;Nine

Koby

6a2QqCU.jpg

MAL

Synopsis: Yuuta Gamon is a second year high school student.

Hoping to strike it rich, he runs the affiliated occult aggregator blog, Kiri-Kiri Basara, tackling occult matters day and night to ”hack-and-slash” the myriad of paranormal phenomena occurring in this world with science.

But thanks to his blog, he finds himself surrounded by utterly rabid, oddball enthusiasts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beave said:

I'm not really liking this anime.  It seems rushed to me.

The first episode was extremely rushed, but the second really slowed down the pacing, and the third was actually very nicely done in my opinion which redeemed my hope a little for the show overall. So the pacing has been improving.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like this is doing bad, good, bad, good episode-wise. It's neither consistently one or the other. It's slightly better than Chaos;Head, but it's no where the levels of Steins;Gate and I personally haven't seen Robotic;Notes yet so I can't say on that one. I know Occultic;Nine isn't set in the same universe as the others, but it's still all by the same guy so the comparison sticks imo. Still not entirely sure what's going on with a large chunk of the story though and the character designs or rather 'chest-blobs' are freaking out of this world retarded and outright badly done.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Whether or not Occultic;Nine can payoff with a worthwhile ending is what will seal the deal for me on this show.

This is coming from someone who is thoroughly enjoying the series. Concerning the pacing, the characters speak quickly, normally don't repeat themselves, and settings can change on a dime. People who enjoyed Steins;Gate's esoteric episode structure from episode 1 will feel right at home here. However, I say that because most people did not like the first episode of Steins;Gate until they were further along in the series for it to 'click'. Occultic;Nine continues to keep the watcher's head on swivel much farther episodically than Steins;Gate did where you would get moments or respite to know the characters and world more. I think this is much to Occultic;Nine's detriment character wise (chest-blob airhead girl looking at you >.>), but oh baby is the world building good. I love shows at incorporate modern technology seamlessly like this show is doing, the focus on social media being a sort of conduit for part of the cast to interact with each other like in real life is nice, and as a plus it keeps the show eerily bound to our reality despite the wild stuff and subplots that are slowing revealing themselves as of the latest episode. 

I think this could be a sleeper hit, but with the potential to be just "ok" if its conclusion is unsatisfying. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...