diffpics is dead possibly, need a replacement

Catar

So my go-to comparison site was http://diff.pics, which was fantastic. Way better than pretty much every other offering on the upload interface. 

That said, about two weeks ago, the site started dropping errors when uploading anything, which prevented me from doing comparisons for a few of my releases. Finally, yesterday or the day before, it hit a 502 error and is now dead.

so I need a new option. I looked at screenshotcomparison.com, which is fine but slow and the interface kinda sucks. Same with BakaShots' compare tool. anyone got other decent screenshot comparison tools available?

or the cool option: we could take diffpics' open source github and just run a Kametsu mirror ourselves for Kametsu users. 

BakaCompare is only for stuff being offered at BakaBT. They'll usually delete anything you upload there and actually PM you on BakaBT to stop using it as such. I know because it happened to me.

Screenshot Comparison is fine for the most part, except that it only allows two different releases to be compared at a time.

As for running our own, I've thought about it... but I'm just not so sure the diff.pics source is maintained enough or written with security in mind and often scripts that allow any sort of uploading, typically have ways of being exploited to inject some bad scripts into the server. So it'd be something I'd rather have someone who knows what they're looking for, go over before I would actively want to offer a live-site for such a thing on this server. Plus I need to make sure we have all the required dependencies for the scripts.

• Like 1

Just now, Koby said:

As for running our own, I've thought about it... but I'm just not so sure the diff.pics source is maintained enough or written with security in mind and often scripts that allow any sort of uploading, typically have ways of being exploited to inject some bad scripts into the server. So it'd be something I'd rather have someone who knows what they're looking for, go over before I would actively want to offer a live-site for such a thing on this server. Plus I need to make sure we have all the required dependencies for the scripts.

well, I tried throwing it on my webserver and no dice just dropping the source in, and I do have a working Python installation on there so it's not that... oh well.

No idea on security or anything, that repo is pretty empty and dead in terms of contributions. I would note that if you're worried about security/usage you could always limit upload permissions to verified Kametsu uploaders (ie: the uploaders group, or even just projects group), but yeah, I probably wouldn't go for this without looking over it more thoroughly.

rip diffpics