Great Anime List

Wake

I was thinking about how anime (some anyway) can make us feel very very strongly about things that we never thought we could feel before, or new emotions altogether. Animes (for me) like Clannad, Noein, Angel Beats!, XamD Lost Memories, and a few others. I was wondering what peoples own answer was to my question of why can anime be so powerful sometimes when other shows of similar kinds that aren't anime can't?

For me, I think anime has more of an effect than regular TV shows because anime pulls me into a different world. Anime is something that i actively watch where as TV shows i generally have on in the background while i am doing something.

The art/visual style of anime also helps it draw me in.

anime for me is so different to regular tv and movies because half the time anime is set in a different world with different rules or this world with different rules, that with an engaging story pulls you away from reality and the really relaxes me.

i really love anime, it sometimes makes me feel happy :P

im sure everyone who watches animes feels that way, of course it can also have the opposite effect where you become very sad on a whole new emotional level. that is what anime can do to people, it really pulls you in which is why we carry on watching animes whether it be happy or sad

• 1 month later...

I guess the whole emersion into another world has me drawn into it. I like filling out the storyline myself and creating totally new characters that could fit into the story. It has my creative juices flowing :P

Clannad was unbeatable regarding emotional impact (as currently in my experience - will definately look up those other recommended ones. I found it hard to find ones with good emotional depth that doesn't make them painfull to watch as a result).

Anime touches on a primative level with anyone willing to pay attention to it. Its alternate worlds full of amazing feats of strength, determination, love or hate plays on the primative side of our emotions. Power, intellegence, desire, all share that common place inside us. Anime is very much like the super powered heros and villians of the comic books and reading or watching them inspires strong emotions whether happy or sad. I love to ride the roller coaster of the emotional spectrum and therefore will simply say.... Anime FOREVER!

Usually when a show actually causes me to connect Its because somehow I can relate to what the characters are going through. I have found myself overwhelmed with grief when key characters die , Ready to lash out hoping my favorite character survives the latest battle to the death , and even wishing a series would never end. I become immersed in a separate reality and it makes it all worth while

Good anime develops a character better than your average tv show. Ratings, character popularity, and last minute writing changes can't affect its progression. It is, what it is. I think the first anime that moved me as a kid was Kimba the White Lion (Disney totally ripped it with the "Lion King"). Anyway, there was great character development in Robotech 1st generation Macross. Berserk was awesome too. In anime, you tend to care for the characters. Root for them. Even though 20 episodes later it can come crashing down. That's great anime.