Sub's or dubs?

Toonamivhs

So do you guys like watching anime subbed or dubbed? For those who hate dubbed, why? Lastly, is there anything that bothers you about the commubity? For me I watch dubbed. The reason, I can't keep up with everything at once. Lastly a lot of the subbed community bothers me because they hate and bash anything dubbed because it isn't good enough for them. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

First, I would like to point to similar discussion in Anime District - Anime: English Dub Vs Sub.

So do you guys like watching anime subbed or dubbed? For those who hate dubbed, why? Lastly, is there anything that bothers you about the commubity? For me I watch dubbed. The reason, I can't keep up with everything at once. Lastly a lot of the subbed community bothers me because they hate and bash anything dubbed because it isn't good enough for them. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

As someone who prefers subs over dubs, I may provide my opinions on this matter.

I don't hate English dubs in general, but I consider them being inferior comparing to original Japanese audio. My reasons are:

• as someone who knows more than one language (~2.5 in my case) I have had option to compare some titles in their original and dubbed forms. In all instances dubs were highly inferior and lost many details in translation. So I try to watch anything in original language if possible and subtitles is the closest I can get for anime
  • subtitles have more freedom in translation than dubs (like adding notes)
  • characters speaking in Japanese or English might be a plot point which is lost in dubbing (like in K-On! The Movie)
  • many (if not majority) anime takes place in Japan (or Japanese speaking place/region), so changing language in which they speak is inconsistent with setting. Opposite is also true, but creators of anime have better options to handle this than dubbing studios
  • availability - anime usually firs becomes available in sub-only form and not always gets English dub

As far as dual-audio release (I don't download anime with English dub only, if Japanese audio exists) go, many of them place emphasis on English dub and provide lower quality subs than sub-only groups. This trend has somewhat changed in recent years as dual-audio releases more often are made from sub-only releases by adding English dub and corresponding sub track.

I guess, that dislike toward English dub may be due to historical cases, where US releases had heavy alterations to source material or low quality dual-audio releases which contains lazy subbing job.

I started as dub-only watcher and due to lack of access to dubbed content went on to watch subbed content.

• Like 1