Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King

Kid Ryan

My characters are at Level 13, and I'm at Port Prospect now.

I'll probably grind my characters to Level 15 or 20 before I confront Jessica.

It's a really fun game so far, I'm ashamed at myself for not buying it back when it was in brick and mortar stores for $19.99 New.

(I had to buy it online for the same price after shipping).

I'll probably grind my characters to Level 15 or 20 before I confront Jessica.

Level 15 is more than enough. When I met her I was like level 13 maybe. I beat the game on level 36. In like 25 hours I believe. I'd have to go check. Haven't did the extra Dragovian quest yet though that is unlocked when you beat the game.

Level 15 is more than enough. When I met her I was like level 13 maybe. I beat the game on level 36. In like 25 hours I believe. I'd have to go check. Haven't did the extra Dragovian quest yet though that is unlocked when you beat the game.

Alrighty, I just want to make sure "hero" doesn't die like he did in the first boss battle.

I do not use Tension Up, it's a waste of a turn imo.

I never said anything about using Tension up. :/ So don't know where you came up with that from, lolz. Really the first boss is so easy that the only real way to lose is to try to lose. Just normal attack him, heal when necessary and you should have done fine even as low as lvl 3. I've personally beat him as low as lvl 3 before. Anyways last time I played it, I lvled a little more and was about lvl 7 when I faced him. Ended up owning him in 3-4 attacks and never had to heal.

I never said anything about using Tension up. :/ So don't know where you came up with that from, lolz. Really the first boss is so easy that the only real way to lose is to try to lose. Just normal attack him, heal when necessary and you should have done fine even as low as lvl 3. I've personally beat him as low as lvl 3 before. Anyways last time I played it, I lvled a little more and was about lvl 7 when I faced him. Ended up owning him in 3-4 attacks and never had to heal.

I can heal in battle? Totally did not notice that, I'm so full of fail right now, lolz.

I can heal in battle? Totally did not notice that, I'm so full of fail right now, lolz.

You can buy healing items (forget what they are called on DQ), but also... on level 3, the Hero learns the Heal spell. Hence why I said you can safely beat the boss as low as level 3.

You should try early on in the game (would be at least after first boss) to get Yangus' Humanity up to 10 points, because he will then learn the Heal spell too which helps early on to have both of them be able to cure, even if Yangus has low magical power.

You can buy healing items (forget what they are called on DQ), but also... on level 3, the Hero learns the Heal spell. Hence why I said you can safely beat the boss as low as level 3.

You should try early on in the game (would be at least after first boss) to get Yangus' Humanity up to 10 points, because he will then learn the Heal spell too which helps early on to have both of them be able to cure, even if Yangus has low magical power.

Thanks for the advice Koby, but that's only really helpful if I plan on making a new game save, which isn't really necessary.

I'll keep in mind about being able to use the healing items and spells in battle though.

Thanks for the advice Koby, but that's only really helpful if I plan on making a new game save, which isn't really necessary.

I'll keep in mind about being able to use the healing items and spells in battle though.

also mind the alchemy thing since you can make lots of items there basically the healing items. just cook and cook in the couldron! :D

I played this game years ago, honestly one of the best games I've ever played. I beat it in 10 days (no-lifed it since it was a rental...twice for 5 days each XD). Dragon Quest Monsters game for the DS was loosely linked to it with some monster references, I enjoyed that. Once you get closer to the end of the game and that crazy staff starts screwing with everyone, THAT'S when things get fun.

I just arrived at Pereguin Quay now, I really wish I had leveled up Hero and Yangus to Level 20 before leaving to battle the Sea Monster.

Mainly because of the creatures around Pereguin being tougher than usual.

I'll survive somehow though, meh.

this game really brings back memories.. i can still play this thing if i got home in my country since i did not finish this game when i played it years ago.

This is my first time playing the game, and it's fun so far!

When I get a chance to play anyways, lol.

I just received the BradyGames Official Strategy Guide for the game in the mail today.

Hopefully it'll help me be prepared for my future battles, without taking too much fun.

By the way, I'm still in Pereguin Quay, I haven't touched the game for almost a whole week now.

I just received the BradyGames Official Strategy Guide for the game in the mail today.

Hopefully it'll help me be prepared for my future battles, without taking too much fun.

By the way, I'm still in Pereguin Quay, I haven't touched the game for almost a whole week now.

actually, i played this game for about 60 hours and i still did not finish it (it's because im a slow gamer and always a perfectionist :D)

lol, same here, I like to grind my characters to higher levels super early.

but what i really like the most in this game is that it's to funny and hilarious to play. and the world map especially.. i missed that style of world map back in the playstation 1 days so i was really fascinated when i actually first seen it.

actually when they released this game years ago.. the world map of this game is the best i've seen in the ps2 console engine (of course, disregarding Final Fantasy XII's world map in terms of graphics)

but what i really like the most in this game is that it's to funny and hilarious to play. and the world map especially.. i missed that style of world map back in the playstation 1 days so i was really fascinated when i actually first seen it.

actually when they released this game years ago.. the world map of this game is the best i've seen in the ps2 console engine (of course, disregarding Final Fantasy XII's world map in terms of graphics)

Final Fantasy XII has way better graphics then DQ8 imo, but whatever xD.