Do Anime voice actors know about their accent?

aliqandil

I've had a burning question for a while now. And just now after seeing Psycho-Pass Movie, I have to ask:
Do Japanese voice actors know they have a weird english accent? (Most of them.)

Let me clarify,
I've seen a bunch of animes with english dialogues, And It's nothing out of the ordinary to hear an accent when the character is not a native english speaker. I get that.
In my own mother language, (farsi) changing your accent while trying to say a few words in english will be considered weird!
Ex: The word "Spring" Will be changed to "Espiring" if one only wants to use the word in the middle of a farsi sentence.

But I've seen many situation where the character is supposed to be a native english speaker. And yet they have a rather strong japanese accent.

Let me give you some examples:

Angel beats: TK. (Not sure though! His past WAS a mystery!)
Eden of the East: (First Episodes took place in new york I think.)
Golden Boy: (The boss, First episode, Kintaro even compliments how well she speaks! but What does he know?!)
Durarara 2x: (First episode. But actually another character mentioned that his accent was "dodgy" for an american!)
Psycho pass: Of course! A whole nation with japanese accent! But they don't know japanese!

And my god! Those openings and endings...

BTW, do you have any opposite examples?

Edited by aliqandil

TK was an odd choice since they apparently brought in Michael Rivas from Hawaii to voice TK since he spoke English in the Japanese dub; so I don't know why you thought he had a Japanese accent.

Eden of the East may have started in New York; but the main character was Japanese as well as everyone else with a Noblese.

• Like 1

TK was an odd choice since they apparently brought in Michael Rivas from Hawaii to voice TK since he spoke English in the Japanese dub; so I don't know why you thought he had a Japanese accent.

Eden of the East may have started in New York; but the main character was Japanese as well as everyone else with a Noblese.

I may have compared TK with it's English dub. (I think the dubbed version of him fits his character better!)

But I still think something was wrong with they way he speaks.

Yeah that might be the case with Eden of the East...

BTW, that reminds me, I haven't heard anyone use 'Johnny' to reference to a man's *****! Is that common?

• 2 months later...