WINDOW 10 install Error (the selected disk is of the GPT partition style)

EonJone

Hello ,

I brought laptop last year .. it came with window 8 ..I dont like window 8..Due to new laptop  i do not messed with window 8 ..Now  i am thinking install window 10 or window 7 ..But during installing message came the selected disk is of the GPT partition style..so plz tell me how to install window ?? How to convert GPT without losing data..

Edited by EonJone

Then you'll probably end up loosing your data.

i already know about diskpart command  ..that command may loose data ..i dont understand laptopes company Polices ..they only make 2 drives of 1tb hdd ..one is 900 gb which is C drive and other 30 GB which is D..

Edited by EonJone

Well there is a way of changing it from MBR to GPT and you would not lose any data. I'm rather lazy to give you a step by step guide and I suggest you go read up about the Linux 'dd' command and MBR + GPT, since you need to know what part to clone from MBR and GPT. It's how I would do it if I had to convert. Though I never had this issue as I always install my OS to a blank disk.

Then you'll probably end up loosing your data.

i already know about diskpart command  ..that command may loose data ..i dont understand laptopes company Polices ..they only make 2 drives of 1tb hdd ..one is 900 gb which is C drive and other 30 GB which is D..

If you didn't realise by now, you have at least two partitions since one is your OS installation partition and the other one is your recovery partition. It is cheaper to make a recovery partition than giving people a DVD disk or some shit like back in the ol' days.

EDIT:

I also should note that the 'dd' command is pretty destructive, so it's not my problem is you don't read the documentation properly and fuck up your partitions.

Edited by ZeroPenguins
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

That’s actually the reverse ! If your disk is GPT, you need to boot in UEFI Mode and not legacy because windows only supports gpt with UEFI active (contrary to linux which supports gpt anyways)

EDIT : oh and windows only supports UEFI in 64bit so you’ll need a 64bit copy (contrary to linux which supports it even in 32bit… but on a 64 bit computer, using a 64bit copy is better anyways)

In your boot menu, make sure to choose "UEFI : your install media" and not just "your boot media"

Edited by nephanth

• 1 month later...

yes you have to boot on uefi mode when you choose your drive  uefi have to be before the name of your dvd drive..... if you cannot you have to save your data by another method like using on an external HDD and with gparted or disk partition software, you have to convert gpt to mbr and install like usually you install os