Desktop/Laptop Recommendation Request

Afternoon Nap

Can you please suggest a desktop/laptop buy/build for my watching anime around $300 that can handle any video/audio thrown at it smoothly, even 60 fps? It'd be nice if I can play some games with it too.

I was planning for this: http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-600-and-1200. But then I might be better off buying one comparable since it's just a low-end pc, so I can avoid the hassle of assembling it.

Edited by Roots of Unity

The 'hassle' is what saves you a bit of money. With such a low budget, you will need to build it yourself to stretch out every last dollar.

The system on the page you linked looks fine for 1080p@60 videos. You might have to find alternatives to the products listed as the article is from September last year.

Hmm I say, if you're able to test used parts or a used computer system. Go that path, if there is a really good deal. Plus I see a lot of high schools and university over here sell out their 2-3 year old PCs which has i7s, i5s, Intel Core 2 Quad CPUs for $50. Some of them with SSDs (2X120GB), workstation GPUs and all of them has at least 8GB of RAM.

That's one hell of a good deal if you ask me, all you have to do is replace the PSU (they use like 300-350W) to a 500W+ PSU (~$50 for a decent one) and get a half decent GPU ($200) since they all use PCIe 2.0 at least. You could probably max out a lot of games and still have a really nice fast system due to the 2XSSDs, especially if you just do software RAID0 or RAID1.

Both of them are very good. But I think the HP Desktop offers the best bang for the back.

You get a Haswell quad core CPU, 2 or more usb 3.0 ports, and other perks in comparison with the Lenovo Desktop.

The only downside (of the HP) is that the mobo hasn't other free slot for adding more ram. For the moment you'll be fine with 4 GB, but if in the future you want to add more, for exmpl 8GB Ram in total (2 x 4GB), you'll have to shell more $$.