New media codecs

Kakashi_Hatake

not forthcoming and probably will never come. High 10 is purely an archival format and has no relevance to the consumer market at all ( and no current gpu's support decoding it so it's not likely to ever find it's way into any consumer playback systems.

It's nice that the current scene distributions are being done in hi10 where possible but it's really not that useful (you still have to transcode it to something standardized to use it in anything other than vlc or some other type of experimental player like it. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

h265 will be a standard in several years and that's where you'll probably see something like it supported as things scale to 2k thru 8k and beyond. It's nothing you'll have to think about too much for at least 5 years or so (h264 took nearly a decade to become mainstream and efficient- software and hardware accelerated)

h265 is going to take - considerably longer because of problems in the way it's been developed and the scattershot way it's being implemented. Anyone who remembers the first generation of dvd and later blu ray ripping etc were at the front of discovering just how freakish and proprietary it all was until things shook out and matured.

Edited by spheris

Speaking about H.265, you can actually hardware decode it on a few platforms (namely x86, CUDA, DXVA and ARM). What spheris said is somewhat true, but I think your timeframe is a bit too generous, I believe it's coming in a year or two. Since now you have smartphones that support H.265 (Snapdragon and Mediatek AFAIK) which means your Blu-ray device, media set-top box and TVs are going to be able to playback H.265 in the near future.

If you ask me why I believe that? It's mostly UHD content is going to become popular and the industry is leaning torwards streaming paid content, so there will be a push for a new standard to deliver it.

Anyhow, don't know if this relevant to other scenes, but some kDrama encoders are already using H.265. I know this from personal experience as I been watching a lot of new kDrama recently. Of course to my surprise, my outdated decoders (CoreAVC) didn't render it so I had to do a complete overhaul.

LAV Video decoder allows you to use your GPU to hardware decode. I believe a lot of other players are stealing source code from LAV, i.e. Potplayer. So you might be in a surprise to realise that you could hardware decode H.265 when you get around to updating your decoders/renders.