βøøδ

Hi. I have too much free time on my hands, and idle computers over LAN and WAN. So I put them to work making things that I couldn't find. I am quite fond of some older shows, and had no viable way of storing them other than the straight muxes from my discs. Nobody had any good looking rips that I could find. If you want it done right, do it yourself, right?

Debanded, Degrained, Denoised. All processed in 16-bit RGB and frameserved slower than x265 could actually encode it. They all look quite good. Getting the filters to completely remove the grain along with any mosquito noise and banding it caused with the ~20 Mbps these had allotted on the discs was not an easy feat. All 150 episodes, eventually. I do 1-2 per day because these basically render at 1 minute of video per hour. And the filtering isn't "one and done" either.

And no, the actual videos will not have a split screen before/after look.

comparison screens of  a particularly grainy episode

Spoiler

C-124-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Blu-Ray-x265-10 C-2128-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Blu-Ray-x265-1

C-3916-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Blu-Ray-x265-1 C-9692-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Blu-Ray-x265-1

full size screens

Spoiler

no, I'm not ripping off some RG called V3D. this episode went through 3 iterations before I was satisfied. I (re)learned AVIsynth along the way. Yes, I am an old codger and I have been around since before some of you were born. VapourSynth confused me so I ignored it. If you're old enough to remember being excited about DVDs, you downloaded one of my shitty DivX cable TV caps of some dubbed anime or cartoon, almost certainly. Or not, I wasn't very popular. You're welcome.

124-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Original.png 124-Baseball-Bugs-1946-V3-D.png

2128-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Original.png 2128-Baseball-Bugs-1946-V3-D.png

3916-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Original.png 3916-Baseball-Bugs-1946-V3-D.png

9692-Baseball-Bugs-1946-Original.png 9692-Baseball-Bugs-1946-V3-D.png

Oh, and everything is 10-bit, usually HEVC Main10 L4, but sometimes 4.1 or 5.0. Never higher. x264 Hi10P was unfortunately ahead of its time. HEVC Main10 now has broad hardware decode support. It's part of the UHD Blu-Ray spec, compatibility will only improve. I have a smartphone from several years ago that can handle it. Get with the times people. Your Xbox 360 can't cut it anymore.

Spoiler

There will be anime too. CRF15-20, depending on the source and how well it compresses. Evangelion rebuilds at CRF15 look amazing and are so small you wouldn't believe it.

Where I find it appropriate, NCOP/NCED are cut directly into the episodes.

Original audio only. I don't mean no dubs, I mean no FLAC or AAC. Home theaters expect TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. I don't want Windows or my playback device to have anything to do with my audio. Passthrough is the new REMUX.

Did you make it all the way through that drivel?

Edited by βøøδ
Cleanup