Tribler. Have they gotten close to Anonymity.

professa X

So i'm thinking about using tribler. The use a pretty unique method for downloading torrents. They implement a subset of Tor but not entirely. I was wondering if anyone had used it yet. currently i use the bloated utorrent but wanna achieve for anonymity. I think PeerBlock + Tribler is pretty close to anonymous with our a vpn? What say you?

http://torrentfreak.com/tribler-makes-bittorrent-client-anonymous-built-tor-network-140902/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29

@JF

Supposedly it is according to this from the website: 

The first proxy layer encrypts the data for you and each next proxy adds another layer of encryption...

But then this was mentioned:

Proxies no longer need to be fully trusted. A single bad proxy can not see exactly what is going on

@professa

As far as peerblock goes, I gave been running it the past few weeks and I am surprised how many IP's it 'blocks'. I say 'blocks' because the programme is just comparing the IP's accessing your PC to a database of blacklisted addresses, majority of these peers could easily change their IP and thus have access to your torrents again - jdownloader even supports this option and with its automatic script maker, I can now change my IP address whenever I want to/file host limits my downloads. 

Edit: layout

Edited by Moodkiller

Moodkiller, that's the point. Apparently the data isn't encrypted until it reaches the first proxy. That seems dumb.

Ah I thought you were referring to the actually proxy 1 itself and not the path to it. Then yeah, that would probably be an issue as who knows where that first proxy actually is and any number of people could 'listen' in to what you are sending...  

Edited by Moodkiller

But don't we have encrypted protocols? Idk if triller uses it but if we merge the two plus peer block then we're solid correct? Any who I'm assuming that these are encrypted tunnels to the proxies like in vpn's. Because how else are u achieving anonymity .

To further strengthen your point, there is this one line:

You are the only one who can decrypt these three layers correctly. 

Which to me would imply that even though the tunnels specifically my not be encrypted, the data traveling through them has already been encrypted three times so it would be useless to someone listening to the traffic unless they get the decryption key.

But don't we have encrypted protocols? Idk if triller uses it but if we merge the two plus peer block then we're solid correct? Any who I'm assuming that these are encrypted tunnels to the proxies like in vpn's. Because how else are u achieving anonymity .

To further strengthen your point, there is this one line:

You are the only one who can decrypt these three layers correctly. 

Which to me would imply that even though the tunnels specifically my not be encrypted, the data traveling through them has already been encrypted three times so it would be useless to someone listening to the traffic unless they get the decryption key.

I concur. But isnt an encrytped tunnel just that a connection where data is encrypted between the two users?

I concur. But isnt an encrytped tunnel just that a connection where data is encrypted between the two users?

I would say it is... I was just assuming that the tunnels may not be encrypted in this case seen as you have those proxy nodes doing the encryption... under normal circumstances, what you said above would be correct.