Discussion from SOTW #159

Apollo

I'm probably going to reiterate a lot of what Apollo has already said, because I share his feelings on this matter.

I've been doing SOTWs here for four years. And as Apollo says, this isn't the first case. It is so disheartening to hear people complain about your theme choice.

Not knowing what something is shouldn't deter people from entering. I view it as a challenge. And as Apollo said, it's a chance to learn about new things. I don't think I would have discovered Persona if people hadn't kept choosing it for themes.

And yes, it's harder to work with themes that you have zero background on. I've given up on entries numerous times. But just keep it to yourself and wait it out until next week.

This is supposed to be a fun, friendly competition. It's meant to challenge the artists and help them improve.

Thank you. I'm glad someone understands where I'm coming from. I know I came off as harsh, but this is all I truly meant by everything I've said.

Edited by Apollo

I have moved all the posts from the side discussion in SOTW #159 to this thread. I still feel like this discussion is important, even though it blew up into way more than I originally intended it to. I want everyone to remember that this was not an attack on Aphrodite. I feel like it was an issue long before Aphrodite was even a member here. I only snapped now because I finally had enough, and they were the best examples of what I was wishing to talk about. I am sorry I was so harsh about it. Sometimes it's hard to convey things over the Internet without making it sound like you're attacking someone. I was really just using her stuff as examples. Nothing more.

Edited by Apollo
  • Like 1

I was gonna sit this one out and watch from the shadows since i haven't made a tag in almost a year not to mention that the only communication device I have these days is my smartphone, but watching the thread progress really compelled me to say something.

I was the one who stopped trying with my entries when my themes were consistently laughed at, mocked, marred by an "idk, haven't heard of it", or in one case, totally ignored by most of the people who enter SOTW. You might think it's being funny and edgy to say that, but it's nothing but hurtful and disrespectful to both me and what I happen to think would be a good theme for the week, or my interests as a whole tbh. I'm not singling out anyone because half of those people aren't even around anymore, but it's NOT just harmless when people do that.

• Like 2

This is not pointed at anyone at all, and I'm not mentioning any names or anything of the sort. I'm adding my closing statement and shutting the topic down and throwing the key away.

The thing to remember is: People may have not liked a theme someone chose but they still did it anyways because this is all in the name of fun. When the shoe is on the other foot it is like a kick in the face when people simply refuse to do something because of a theme you chose when you've done themes you didn't like just for the sake of entering.

As a graphic artist, we often fill requests too. Are you telling me that you'd turn down doing a request just because you disliked the theme someone wanted even though you were openly offering to take on requests?

If you don't like a theme, do it anyways or at least be respectful and not bash it.

Lastly; it is in the rules, or was at one point, that if you're not posting a entry you shouldn't even be posting in the thread at all until the point of voting. So basically by posting saying you're not entering you're breaking rules and simply 'spamming' the thread.

• Like 2