Discussion from SOTW #159

Apollo

I also have never heard of it.These games....I'm so not a gamer, but okay.

I had no idea where to go with this theme.  So here is my entry...

Orj24K.jpg

Theme: Marvel

I have no idea.  I just winged it.  I had no clue what to do with this theme.  Never heard of this game.

Awesome signatures Aphrodite, dnangel and Yuma!!!

Really?  I had no idea what to do with this theme.

Wow, how many times is it going to take to get your point across? Four posts bitching about the same shit? Seriously? Are you done?

I never understood why it matters whether everyone's heard of the theme or not. You google it, find a render, and just make something. As long as it looks good, who gives a shit? If I can stumble through themes like random anime or obscure visual novels I've never heard of and not constantly moan, bitch, and complain about it, I think others can do the same with themes they're not familiar with. When people act like this, it's kind of rude to the person who chose the theme. You're basically saying the theme sucks and by extension the person who chose the theme sucks. If you feel this way and it bothers you THAT much that it requires four posts to make sure everyone understands just how much you don't understand what to do with the theme, then omg don't fucking participate. And honestly, I see nothing wrong with a theme I don't know about. It helps people learn a little bit about something they've never heard of. At the very least, we can appreciate the art of it. Or something. It's just about respect for the last winner and the theme they chose, no matter the theme. When the theme choice is literally the prize for winning these contests, can't we let the winner have this and not belittle it by bitching about it so much?

Sorry, it's just something that has always annoyed me, and I finally had enough. I'm sure everyone's just going to think I'm an asshole, but I really don't give a shit. I don't really mind when it's just like a post here and there, but four in the same thread? Whoa.

Edited by Apollo

I want to stress that it's not just Aphrodite and it's not just this time. I have been noticing stuff like this for quite a long time now. I even know someone who stopped participating because this kept happening to her.

I've seen it all. Even stuff like, "Oh, this theme? I'm sitting out." is entirely rude and unnecessary. If you wish to sit out, by all means please do. No need to announce it though.

It just takes the fun out of winning when someone shits on your theme choice.

• Like 1

If everyone would kindly read all of my posts on the matter, I have said it's not just Aphrodite. This has happened many many many times, and I felt like now was the time to finally say something about it. Aphrodite said that she didn't realize she was doing it. Chances are a lot of people didn't notice they were doing it. By bringing it up, a lot of people will probably notice that they've done it. If I would have PMed Aphrodite about it, how would everyone know?

This wasn't an attack on Aphrodite. It just so happens she was the one who did it this time. Of course, I've seen her do it countless times. I'm sorry, but I hold her to higher standards because she's my fellow Graphics Team member. It is our job to uphold fairness and respect within this section, and when my teammate is the one disrespecting someone, I had to step in and say something. It's disrespect whether you realize you were doing it or not.

My whole point was for everyone to learn from this. But yeah, I know, I'm the bad guy. It is what it is, I guess.

Edited by Apollo

^

I don't think anyone was attacking you, we were just making small talk about the situation. =p

A lot of you guys seem to have used similar characters, maybe you could try asking for the character from them if you don't have one?

I went with mine because it was the easiest to render.  I have a two year old and a 8 month old...so I have to try for what will get down done fastest.  LOL1

EDIT:

Sorry for that wrong word.  I am trying to feed my 8 month old and she screamed at me for not feeding her fast enough.

Is rendering making the character?

Whatever works best for you, you guys are the experts here. :D

I guess I just don't see it as disrespectful as you did. If someone had done the same to me I wouldn't have given it a second thought.  I do apologize thou for it.  I just rather you had contacted me about it instead of quoting all of my post to make your point.  A general post about it would have made it look a lot less of an attack on me.

That's just how I would have handled it.

I finally had enough and quoted all your posts because this was probably the worst case I've seen, if you must know. I figured this would really open some people's eyes because I swear I think you broke the record or something. I've seen you do it so many times, probably more than anyone else ever does, but never this much in the same thread, so I've always kept my mouth shut. You've said before that you can be too blunt and that you often say things that you didn't mean to sound bad, so this shouldn't really be a big surprise or anything.

Edited by Apollo

I know this isn't really my place to say anything, but can you guys like um take this elsewhere. And leave this thread alone with minor issues. This is a place for people to show off their art based around a specific theme. Not for people to bitch & moan. And others to bring it up with a personal opinion.

Apollo, you seem like a great guy, but the way you're going about things is just so wrong. Take it elsewhere if you would so kindly. And let's have fun with this SOTW.

But for people to say they're sitting out due to the theme is just ignorant and pathetic. No one cares if you're sitting out. And if you gotta cry about you not knowing anything about the theme. Who cares. Its a theme to base your focal on. In other words, you find a render. you get said render. And you do your art. Do what you normally do. No need to cry about shit...

But this is just my two cents pretty much. So can we please refrain from further bullshit here. This is suppose to be a fun place for people to compete and determine who can work with the theme the best. And make things play together a bit more.

• Like 1

But for people to say they're sitting out due to the theme is just ignorant and pathetic. No one cares if you're sitting out. And if you gotta cry about you not knowing anything about the theme. Who cares. Its a theme to base your focal on. In other words, you find a render. you get said render. And you do your art. Do what you normally do. No need to cry about shit...

Did you read my first post? I literally said these same things. This is the point I've been trying to make this whole time. And this has happened countless times. I've just finally decided to say something about it.

And all I truly want is for everyone to have fun. Again, that's part of my point of doing this. The theme doesn't matter. Work with the theme or not. But allow everyone to have an equal chance to have fun with it. And that includes the person who chose the theme in the first place.

I'm sorry I allowed this subject to get a little out of hand, but I felt it was finally time to bring it up, especially because it's happened to my themes in the past, and yes, it hurts your feelings sometimes.

I have been feeling very strongly about this issue for quite a long time, and I guess I finally snapped. I'm sorry Aphrodite had to be at the receiving end of it this time. It could have been anyone. At the time, I felt it was the best way to handle it, with examples. Maybe there were other ways to do it.

I'm mostly sorry for getting off of the subject of this thread. This will be my last post on the matter. We can continue on with the contest, and I guess now that it's all said and done I've just made an ass out of myself. But someone had to say it, and I felt that it was my duty, even if everyone's going to hate me now.

I do feel like I should have toned it down a bit, but I swear I started this discussion with good intentions.

Edited by Apollo

This might continue further, pls delete these irrelevant posts.

That would go against what Apollo is aiming for. If he's trying to make members aware of the situation, then people need to see his posts.

I'm not taking sides, but just pointing out the practicality of it.

Anways, it isn't my place to say anything, just pointing that out.

@Aphrodite

I don't think removing your entry helps anyone! =p

Edited by Flowz

I'm probably going to reiterate a lot of what Apollo has already said, because I share his feelings on this matter.

I've been doing SOTWs here for four years. And as Apollo says, this isn't the first case. It is so disheartening to hear people complain about your theme choice.

Not knowing what something is shouldn't deter people from entering. I view it as a challenge. And as Apollo said, it's a chance to learn about new things. I don't think I would have discovered Persona if people hadn't kept choosing it for themes.

And yes, it's harder to work with themes that you have zero background on. I've given up on entries numerous times. But just keep it to yourself and wait it out until next week.

This is supposed to be a fun, friendly competition. It's meant to challenge the artists and help them improve.

• Like 2