My Used 160GB Slim PS3 Won't Play Games

Kid Ryan

My Used 160GB Slim PS3 is refusing to play any of my physical PS3 game discs.

I think it's the bluray drive/laser, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, I was hoping someone here could help me solve the issue please?

Preferably without having to spend much money, I'll be broke until July 26th at least.

Edited by Toddler Naruto

Did your mom buy your ps3 new or second hand Toddler Naruto?

FMR wants to know do you clean your drive heads?

My mom bought my 160GB Slim PS3 used (second hand) from a random Amazon Marketplace seller back in 2011.

I've never cleaned the insides of my PS3 before, though that's due to my paranoid fear of ruining my PS3, if I tried opening it up and damaged it somehow while messing around inside.

I heard that clearing all the dust is usually a good way to solve the problem. If the blu ray drive is gone then unless you have another ps3 that you can replace it with, you will have to spend money in some way to get it fixed.

You should take it to an engineer/repair to have a look at it to atleast identify the problem, I don't believe they charge for that. Then once you find out what the problem is, you can decide if you can fix it without money.

• Like 1

I heard that clearing all the dust is usually a good way to solve the problem. If the blu ray drive is gone then unless you have another ps3 that you can replace it with, you will have to spend money in some way to get it fixed.

You should take it to an engineer/repair to have a look at it to atleast identify the problem, I don't believe they charge for that. Then once you find out what the problem is, you can decide if you can fix it without money.

What's your recommended method for clearing out dust? I've heard that using an air can or vacuum is a no-no.

I'd gladly buy another PS3 or pay someone else to fix it (Sony, friend, or a store etc) normally, but I need to save up all of my future money towards a Xbox 360 and Wii U this Christmas. I usually only earn around $50-$100 monthly myself, so yeah...

I also need to save up around $130 to buy nine more PS3 games from now to the end of August: http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Toddler_Naruto/games/wishlist?platform=113

2011?wow

either you dont game much or it really was the environment that killed my ps3s xD

mine didnt last a year..new....

in any case,have you inserted a disc and checked to see if it even attempts at reading it?

before mine died you could still see that little spinning icon

but yeah,if youre comfortable-id open it and clear it out of dust.

if thaat dont fix you know for sure laser is dead :]

but be careful,i opened mine and after closing one of them-it didnt even turn on anymore hehe

What's your recommended method for clearing out dust? I've heard that using an air can or vacuum is a no-no.

I'd gladly buy another PS3 or pay someone else to fix it (Sony, friend, or a store etc) normally, but I need to save up all of my future money towards a Xbox 360 and Wii U this Christmas. I usually only earn around $50-$100 monthly myself, so yeah...

I also need to save up around $130 to buy nine more PS3 games from now to the end of August: http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/Toddler_Naruto/games/wishlist?platform=113

I'm not too sure on that as I have heard that the vacuum was a common method... Just as long as you put something in front so that too much air doesn't go in.

I would suggest going to youtube and looking at a few videos and also checking the comments to make sure there are success stories from others using the same method.

Have you also tried putting in a DVD disc to see if that is readable?

I had a RL friend take a look at my PS3, and it seems that it is indeed the bluray laser that's malfunctioning, not the bluray drive, DVD laser, or anything else.

I plan on having him repair it, as soon as I can save up $30 Amazon in August to buy the replacement bluray laser. I could buy it this weekend instead, but I would like to buy three more PS3 games before I have to start saving money.

You could always mod the PS3 and play games from your internal HDD copied over from your computer. Then you wont even need to use the internal disc reader. I don't think you can play online games on PSN though if you do that. They might brick the system.

Thats only an option if you have the right firmware or feel comfortable about opening up your ps3 and downgrading the firmware which requires a certain skill to pull off.  Unlike the Wii where you just put an sd card with the Bootmii and it does all the work for you.

Quick question:

Do you live in a place with animals/smoking?

IF so...

KEEP THE SMOKES AND ANIMALS AWAY FROM YOUR ELECTRONICS!

I work on computers for money, and time and time again an otherwise 'good' owner of electronics will screw them up by having second hand smoke invade them or pet hair get inside the machine.

Some SIMPLE preventative measures:

1) Compressed air, in a can, it's magic!

2) Do NOT move any kind computer with a disc (either traditional HDD or cd/dvd/br drive) when it's active.

3) Keep machine in a WELL ventilated area.

4) Don't let pets near your electronics.

5) Do NOT smoke around electronics.

6) For fuck sake - DON'T have any kind of computer in direct sunlight or near any kind of heat source.

7) No, seriously, heat is the #1 enemy of electronics.

Edited by Tanis
  • Like 1

You could always mod the PS3 and play games from your internal HDD copied over from your computer. Then you wont even need to use the internal disc reader. I don't think you can play online games on PSN though if you do that. They might brick the system.

Thanks but no thanks ^^'. I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I will never pirate video games, ever :).

I actually like that I'm helping the gaming industry with each purchase I make, not to mention I just prefer having the cases, manuals, cover art, and discs.

Besides, I dislike having digital copies of games anyways...I only play a game digitally if a physical retail version doesn't exist.

• Like 1

Thanks but no thanks ^^'. I appreciate that you're trying to help, but I will never pirate video games, ever :).

I actually like that I'm helping the gaming industry with each purchase I make, not to mention I just prefer having the cases, manuals, cover art, and discs.

Besides, I dislike having digital copies of games anyways...I only play a game digitally if a physical retail version doesn't exist.

You don't have to pirate games, just play games you have physical copies of by putting them onto your computer hard drive then onto your PS3. The modding suggestion was so you could play without needing to buy a new laser or drive, that's all. I didn't say anything pirating anything.

I modded my PS2 and put all my physical copies of games into an internal hard drive and its quick and easy loading without having to worry about my laser going bad as quick or discs getting scratched up.

• Like 1

a while back was freezing between games when i played the disc games and then after a while it frooze on specific games like fifa 12, naruto, uncharted 2. i just unscrewed it down, cleaned the inside thoroughly and it ran like a whistle immediately. if you do that it but it doesn't work well to give you a hint you're gonna need a much bigger hard drive

Edited by Kyle_Dimetri

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I had my friend look at my 160GB Slim PS3 again, and apparently it's either the Blu-Ray drive itself that's malfunctioning, which will cost me $80 New on eBay, or it's the HDD, in which case I'm hoping just formatting it and re-installing the PS3 OS will fix the problem.

If it is the HDD and formatting/reinstalling doesn't work, I have my eyes set on a 500GB Western Digital for only $50 New on Amazon.

I just hope they're not both malfunctioning, I can't afford to spend $130 all at once.

Update: I had my friend look at my 160GB Slim PS3 again, and apparently it's either the Blu-Ray drive itself that's malfunctioning, which will cost me $80 New on eBay, or it's the HDD, in which case I'm hoping just formatting it and re-installing the PS3 OS will fix the problem.

If it is the HDD and formatting/reinstalling doesn't work, I have my eyes set on a 500GB Western Digital for only $50 New on Amazon.

I just hope they're not both malfunctioning, I can't afford to spend $130 all at once.

When I see multiple posts from ADC like this from you, it sounds like thats pocket change to you lol.

"I bought 11 more video games recently for $198.64 total from Amazon trans.gif.

Bayonetta (PS3) - $20.90 New

Dante's Inferno: Divine Edition (PS3) - $21.86 New

Demon's Souls (PS3) - $17.40 New

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion GOTY Edition (PS3) - $15.10 New

Enslaved: Odyssey To The West (PS3) - $19.25 New

Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition (PS3) - $20.40 New

L.A. Noire (PS3) - $15.20 New

Ninja Gaiden 3 (PS3) - $16.09 New

Red Faction: Guerrilla (PS3) - $6.94 New

Silent Hill: Downpour (PS3) - $23.00 New

The Godfather II (PS3) - $22.50 New"