RPG x FPS

LimitLess

I know these are different genres but there have been some games which combine both fps and rpg games.

For example, deus ex and far cry 3.

Deus ex is a rpg with first person view whereas far cry 3 is a fps with rpg elements. I want to know whether you think it's a good idea to combine these genre and if so which type would you prefer, deus ex or far cry 3.

p.s: I'm refering to the type of gameplay you would prefer, deus ex type or far cry 3 type, not the actual games themselves.

I don't mind them, but they can get a bit...broken.

In DE: Human Revolution one of the 'perks' was pointless and the boss fights didn't fit with the rest of the game.

FC3 was, overall, a fantastic game, that suffered mostly from 'I want more', and no 'sell all' button in the inventory.

-Which Blood Dragon sort of provided.

I'm also a fan of games like 'Sins of a Solar Empire' and 'Haegemonia - The Solon Heritage' that combined 4X and RTS.

Edited by Tanis

I love Far Cry 3 and played it till the end with everything unlocked, although most of the time I prefer RPG games but hybrid games whether its RPG with FPS with and FPS with RPG elements to me its just plain awesome and not very annoying either because its kinda lengthy takes a lot of my time away.

Recently been trying out game hybrids, typically with RPG elements. Valkyria Chronicles for example is a turnbased Strategy RPG with a realtime thirdperson shooter element. Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 1&2 were great, although Far Cry had an issue with having so much freedom that you could burn out without ever moving the story on.

But back on topic, I vastly enjoy RPGs over FPS with the exception of coop/competitive multiplayer. There are a few RPGs with coop, but they tend to be added on rather than a focus.