Looking for recomendations

The amount of anime I've seen is too long to list, I also prefer dubs. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what I'm looking for, but to give an idea, Baccano, Durarara, Steains;Gate, and Eden of the East. I cant put my finger on what exactly it is these series have in common besides a great story and good characters, but I always lump them together and wish I could find other series like them.

As mentioned before, I've seen a lot of anime so please try to suggest things along the theme of what I've said. I should mention that I've seen Death Note, Spice and Wolf, Chaos;Head (mentioned because of Steins;Gate, not that they have anything in common really), Code Geass, The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumia, Angel Beats, and Welcome to the NHK. That list is only there to weed out the usual suspects, and anyone mentioning Bleach, Naruto, DBZ, or One Piece needs slapped with a wet fish, not because there's anything wrong with the shows but because they have nothing in common with what I'm looking for, as vague as that is and there are people who recommend those shows on every list regardless of relevance (i.e. I'm looking for a romantic comedy/ tear jerker, and someone tells them to watch bleach/naruto/dbz/one piece etc.).

Also, not looking for series like Clannad, Kanon, Air etc.

Sorry for being vague, and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

Edited by Mordeth_Kai

Hey Mordeth_Kai,

Have you tried Bleach?.......Lol sorry I had to say it, but on a more serious not how are you with violent anime's that have a lot of bloody scenes? Now not knowing your entire list of animes you have seen I can only assume that you haven't seen what I am about to suggest.

Now these three I am about to suggest are pretty high in violence and contain nudity among other things. First of I would suggest Elfen Lied, has brought tears to my eyes when I first watched it and has romance in it. It is a short anime but a very good watch if you are ok with bloody deaths.

Also I would suggest Grantz and Berserk, not really tear jerker animes but have a good story line and most people I talk to highly recommend them.

Now to something less Bloody two of my most favorite animes are Gurren Lagann and Soul Eater not sure if you have watched them or if you lied them if you did. They are more both good animes with a good fan base but as with most anime it depends on what your into.

I too am a dub person but do watch subbed, all of the above animes can be found in dub.

Hey Mordeth_Kai,

Have you tried Bleach?.......Lol sorry I had to say it, but on a more serious not how are you with violent anime's that have a lot of bloody scenes? Now not knowing your entire list of animes you have seen I can only assume that you haven't seen what I am about to suggest.

Now these three I am about to suggest are pretty high in violence and contain nudity among other things. First of I would suggest Elfen Lied, has brought tears to my eyes when I first watched it and has romance in it. It is a short anime but a very good watch if you are ok with bloody deaths.

Also I would suggest Grantz and Berserk, not really tear jerker animes but have a good story line and most people I talk to highly recommend them.

Now to something less Bloody two of my most favorite animes are Gurren Lagann and Soul Eater not sure if you have watched them or if you lied them if you did. They are more both good animes with a good fan base but as with most anime it depends on what your into.

I too am a dub person but do watch subbed, all of the above animes can be found in dub.

I'm good with violent and bloody stuff, my tastes are fairly indiscriminate. I've watched claymore, gantz, elfen lied, and I've watched crap like kodocha and full moon wo sagashite, and crap like hikaru no go, and then stuff like UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie and Hand Maid May. Thats part of why I didn't give a long list of everything I've watched, because I'm looking for something specific (In spite of not being able to identify what it is) and a full list would throw that off and be way too long. I wasn't able to get into Guren Lagann or Soul Eater, or berserk, for some reason, can't put my finger on why, but I've checked those out.

As I've said, I've watched a lot of crap and those are good suggestions, thank you for taking the time to answer. I think Elfen Lied is one of the best all around series out there, and Gantz was a real treat as F*d up and sordid as it is.

Try some of these

Gankutsuo

Psycho-Pass (being dubbed soon by Funimation)

Gosick

I haven't watched any of those, thanks for the suggestions! Dubbed is a preference, but I make exceptions for series that I like, Toradora for one, and there are some series I can't stand dubed and will only watch subbed (and vice versa) like fushigi yuugi and full moon wo sagashite.

Here's some great ones that don't get recommended quite as much

Ghost Hunt

Gunslinger Girl

Angel Beats

Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Shikabane Hime

Shiki

Gunslinger Girl and Angel Beats are awesome series, I never got around to checking out Shikabane Hime (Corpse Princess) possible because I get it confused with death girl (loved the ovas cant stand the actual series). The rest I haven't checked out, thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: On a side note, I just found and am currently watching Future Diary (Mirai Nikki), which is like Eden of the East meets Steins;Gate (though not quite as good as either in my book). A great series and headed in the right direction, but doesn't quite scratch the itch I mentioned in my first post, but I figured it should be mentioned.

Edited by Mordeth_Kai