Democracy : Idealistic failure or a work in progress?

dremler

I'll get this discussion going. Do you believe that democracy has truly had a positive impact on mankind? Do you feel that democracy as implemented in the modern world truly reflects the ideals signified by this word.

I believe that in spite of its failings democracy is the best option we have at the moment. Only optimists can visualise a system run by dictators who aim to further interests of the public rather than their own. I believe that's a key strength of democracy, when things go wrong, there are methods to seek redress and fight back against systemic abuse without suffering abuse or beating.

The problem is that democratic systems evolve very slowly making progress a laborious task. Another issue is the illusion of democracy rather than its actual practice wherein all the candidates are pretty much the same and there is nothing to choose between either of them.

All in all I'm for democracy but from personal experience I find that when the public loses interest in political affairs then the politicians and their lackeys do as they please and rob the nation blind. We must be vigilant.

If Democracy is a "work in progress", it's sure taking it's sweet time being crafted after over 2,000 years.

I'm personally thinking Democracy isn't a work in progress anymore, rather that it has several flaws in it that make it seem like it's incomplete somehow. But then again, with how humans are, no type of system will ever be perfect, but out of the other forms of government it seems to be the best option. This is mainly due to the fact that the people at large vote for a leader, and leadership is split into several factions that allow power to be distributed and checked evenly throughout each branch.

I don't think democracy is a `WORK IN PROGRESS` since like Astral said its been around for about 2,000 years already.

There are ways we can fix the system and patch it up but doing so will lead new holes being formed so its not perfect but it seems like the best option currently (MAYBE Until someone else creates another BETTER System if that ever happens), in my country most greedy people make up the system T.T

" Those who trade liberty for security deserve neither"  and "the Price for  freedom is eternal vigilance"  i like to keep these two quotes in mind when ever i think of democracy.   because without the principles they embody democracy can not function, (i am perfectly aware that these quotes are not directly referring to democracy)  In the past few decades   democracy is no long truly what eh word define , the rich and power full control voting people are no long are aware of the issues plaguing our  governmental system instead they receive their  information about the topics form political pundits  who  give no real information but only cast blame to have their candidate elected to office.  political debates are no longer about the issues but rather about mud slinging  and deflection. and the  job of  politicians is no long to represent the interests of their constituents but rather to be re-elected.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Democracy may prove to have its place in a just world, but such a world requires the extension of rights and liberty to all - see the universal declaration of human rights, its pretty great actually. Unfortunately, democracy contains a paradox which puts it at odds with universal human rights; that is any democracy must reconcile the problem of majority and minority participation. Ensuring that the majority population does not repress the minority always requires limitations of democratic principles - checks and balances. Also problematic is the need for democracies to determine who can vote, which is why 50 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 we see voting rights being challenged by the party in the US which has firmly staked its bet on the majority white population - Republicans. Even widely accepted examples of successful social-democracy, the Scandinavian states, have incredibly restrictive immigration laws in place to jealously guard the privileges afforded by citizenship. These two problematics are intrinsic to democracy of any form. Democracy as we see it practiced in the US is arguably no longer a system that can be referred to as democratic. It may be more appropriate to call the american system an oligarchy - as representation in the political system is for sale to the highest bidder. An oligarchy which uses the illusion of choice to maintain its power.

All that said, Democracy is definitely still a work in progress.