Mutual Destruction [Sign Up]

The constant feeling of being watched. Your stomach sinking every time you turn your back to the mirror. And the ringing in your ears is so loud, you can’t help but feel like it’s hiding something from you.

Someone—or something—calls your name and pulls you from sleep. Your throat burns a little, and as you open your eyes, you’re certain you’ve never seen colours like that before.

Today you learn you were never the sole occupant of your body.

===

The Story

You are among those who share a body with various supernaturals. Each entity manifests differently, and you learn there are specific types. Species of a different plane of existence? Manifestations of a host’s depths?

You aren’t certain, and they don’t seem especially willing to talk about it.

All you know is the fragile balance between these entities and their human hosts is in danger.

The Entity-Host Relationship

Although it would seem most entities share an antagonistic relationship with their hosts, there are those capable of maintaining mutually beneficial arrangements.

As entities can only come forward for limited periods, it is in their best interests to care for their hosts. Whether it’s eliminating business rivals or acquiring material wealth, entities can provide for a host well beyond what the host can do for themselves. However, building a tenuously amicable relationship with a host ultimately leaves them at the mercy of the human.

More domineering entities may wrest control from the host completely, allowing them dominion over the body. This domination can tear the body apart, ejecting the entity and killing the host.

Each time an entity comes forward, it slowly absorbs the host’s energy. If the host isn’t given regular control of the body, they will eventually become little more than a faint voice. Crafty entities are more than capable of assimilating themselves to societies, living ostensibly as a regular human being.

(Are you strong enough to maintain control of your body? Perhaps you’ve always wanted someone else to live your life for you.)

===

The Races

The Rueru

You don’t comprehend how such large creatures can fit inside of a person. You don’t want to think about it.

(Your thought processes pull you in every direction, sudden flashes of violence seizing you at the most inopportune times. Something inside you craves dominance, demanding complete control of your body.)

Some are bulky and stout, wingless and bearing club-like tails, with horns thick and numerous. Some are lean and sleek, with wings that seem to stretch for miles and horns that seem more ornamental than functional.

Most are twisted creatures that seem endless, filling your field of vision with colours and hues.

You hear whispers that only the oldest of rueru are capable of manifesting into comprehensible forms.

Destructive and powerful, rueru are less inclined towards psychic attacks.

Bitter icy breaths. Impenetrable flames. Roars that tear through your eardrums as the sound demands your full attention. Teeth and claws sharp enough to sever an entity’s energy from its body with a single move. These are their preferred shows of force.

When they come forward, they suck all the energy available, rendering human bystanders useless and forcing others to push aside their hosts and come forward.

(Perhaps you’ve been affected, afflicted with sudden fatigue, limbs heavy and lungs almost useless.)

The Caracomi

You know it takes every ounce of your being not to succumb to a caracomi.

Lacking the power to overwhelm opponents by strength, caracomi rely upon manipulation. They can change their appearance at will, constantly shifting to adapt to their environment. They take full advantage of deep-seated fears and lusts, extracting this information from samples of their victim’s energy.

(Perhaps you’ve looked in the mirror and didn’t recognise the person in front of you. Perhaps you’ve seen the way your reflection smirks at you, the way its eyes twinkle with malice and suspicion.)

You aren’t certain if they even have an identity of their own. You aren’t certain it matters.

(You would give your body willingly, won’t you? To have your cravings sated, to have your fears destroyed?)

The Kopic

You are certain these are the creatures of your nightmares.

Kopic are towering and spindly creatures, with wide eyes and thin fingers. They can unhinge their jaws, stretching their maws to cavernous and hypnotising dimensions. Stare long enough and you’ll find yourself drawn inside, eager to immerse yourself into the darkness. Upon feeding, their belly swells and they sleep, allowing its human host to reclaim the body and come forward once again.

Their hair grows long and fine, and it’s the softest you’ve ever felt. To possess even a single strand of this hair would be divine. Perhaps it may keep you safe from being seduced by their eyes, mark you with their scent and make you an unattractive target. But you’ve seen it. The way the hair—so fine, so soft, just a single strand to keep you safe—snakes around the person and drags them away with unbelievable strength, leading them into that womb-like abyss. The screams eventually fade and they stop struggling.

(Perhaps you share a body with a kopic. Perhaps you hear it growling in its sleep while you are forward. Perhaps you find yourself wishing to peel away your skin, wishing to possess but a strand of the hair that emerges from your undeserving skin.)

In a cruel twist of fate, kopic are proficient healers. Gain their favour and they will tend to your wounds, physical and psychic. You’re certain it has to do with their hair. (Soft, soft. So soft.)

They are pale creatures, almost devoid of colour. You think you can see the faintest hints of blue in their flesh, but drawing near only intoxicates you.

Their language sounds crude to your ears, grunts and screeches and whistles. Somehow you can feel the words forming in your ears.

It was never your intention to learn about them, but they’re not much interested in your intentions.

(Come near, child. I’ll keep you safe, keep you close. Rest your eyes and stay a while.)

The Cyiaah

You have the feeling there’s more to them than they tell you.

Human hosts mostly retain their physical appearance when a cyiaah comes forward—their eyes cloud over to a milky white and large feathered wings emerge from their backs. Sometimes you think there’s something underneath, something else attached to those wings, making the hosts puppets rather than angels.

(Perhaps you felt something crawl beneath your skin, stretching into your limbs, reaching into your core and wrapping itself around you. Perhaps you haven’t noticed until now.)

They reek of blood, a thick coppery scent that easily overwhelms. They smell of death and murder, betraying their angelic appearances.

Each cyiaah has their own colours, with wings covering the gamut of colours, from deepest black to vivid red to blinding white. You can discern no pattern to the colours.

Cyiaahs are blind to the material world, instead capable of reading energies and auras. They can track energy trails, though with the overlap and crowding of beings, it had best be a powerful entity they’re tracking or a fresh trail, lest the energy be quickly overwhelmed by noise.

They can harness the energies around them and twist it to their needs, allowing them to invade a person’s mind, snaking into their cores.

(Have you felt something like worms in your head? Felt the crawling of bugs upon your flesh? Become clearly aware of the flow of blood through your body?)

(Like someone else is pulling your strings.)

The Osia

You believe the osia are dead.

Sharing a body with a dead entity is perhaps less favourable than a living one. (Perhaps it’s all in your head.)

When it sleeps, its presence is nigh invisible, even to the cyiaah. If a host pays close attention, they can feel it steal a breath or two from them.

When it comes forward, the host’s body disintegrates, leaving behind only dust, and slips into the flow of energies. The osia pay no attention to the material world, easily passing through objects and beings alike.

Osia prey upon dying and unrealised entities, snatching creatures from hosts before discovery and absorbing others before they die.

As a being of pure energy, they are often partnered with—or exploited by—other creatures. They allow others to feed upon them—for a price. As an entity uses an osia, it entwines with the entity’s own energy, eventually becoming inextricably tied to them.

The osia take their payment in full as soon as this merger is complete.

The power an osia can grant is intoxicating, tempting beyond belief. They whisper syrupy promises, offering tastes of what could be.

(Perhaps you’ve heard them whisper in your ear, felt them lead you down self-destructive paths.)

It is through the host’s own energy than an osia can continue to exist and avoid being fully consumed. Once a host is nearly depleted, it usurps another creature’s host.

(It isn’t as though the host will notice or care.)

===

Tidbits

An entity can take over the bodies of infants through a pregnant host. At this point, the body is likely to become the entity's and the human is relegated to submission in the body, if they survive the takeover.

Body sharing is strenuous and there are no guarantees if an entity is ejected from a host (which results in the destruction of the body) that it will be able to find another.

Not everyone shares a body.

Entities are predators and more than willing to eliminate each other. As such, most tend to keep to themselves or travel in small groups. It is more likely for cyiaah and caracomi to congregate than, say, the rueru or kopic—rueru tend to crave dominance and a kopic's appetite doesn't allow for meal sharing.

Most prefer to keep a low profile and avoid the public, though this is largely dependent upon the entity's ability to control its hunger.

===

The Application

Host Name:

Host Age:

Host Appearance:

Host Personality:

Host Backstory:

Entity:

Entity Appearance:

Entity Personality:

Host-Entity Relationship:

===

Younger characters are acceptable.

===

I wanted to be cool and have a sign up story too!

This is in the same universe as Reflections. It is a rebuilding of an old project, an attempt to breathe new and more believable life into something that was originally pretty cheesy. Hopefully this is a bit more successful.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

If anything is unclear or contradictory, please feel free to point it out, since I am nearly falling asleep as I type this.

• Like 3

Host Name:  Corben James

Host Age: 31

Host Appearance: Looks like a young H.B. Halicki

Host Personality: A realist who is overly cynical from being a cop for far to long, Corben's a lone wolf end of the world glass half empty killer who has no problem with pulling the trigger. He sleep's often and has a strange fascination with his hair. Like his poker tell whenever he feels uncomfortable or estranged he will run his fingers threw his hair uncontrollably and although he lives alone he has a distant need for a friend or companion. He's a full blown alcoholic and carries a flask in his boots and his Hawaiian shirt pocket. He constantly dress's like he's on vacation and has no sense of style. 

Host Backstory: Corben has been married and divorced 3 times and hate's his life. He was just fired from the police force 3 day's ago and has been waking up in strange places without any recollection of how he got there. He was fired for being drunk on the job for the 9th time and after a internal affairs investigation ruled self defense in his favor for killing a teenage robber his long time friend and police chief Michael Thibodeaux had no choice but to let him go. Each bar he's been to he has been staring at young woman's hair for some reason and at one point actually contemplated cutting some off a young brunette with a fruit peeler. He can't stop drinking and can't understand how he can drink so much without killing himself. He's fairly sure he hears snoring when he's alone in his room and can't shake the feeling he's sharing a connection with someone..... or something. He knows something's not right and is currently searching for answers on his computer to his problem. 

Entity: The Kopic

Entity Appearance: Not sure if we are allowed to name the entity so I will name him Ramiel and you may feel free to remove said name should they not need one. The creature is a quadruped thickly haired with large empty eye sockets. The darkness of the eyes is only slightly tinged by the fact that from another perspective you can see straight into the empty wholes to it's brain. It's hair is a gloss gold mixed with blackish red streaks that drag down by it's feet. It's severely skinny like the dog Alien from Alien 3, to the point where it almost looks like the creature could be dead from starvation. It's claws stretch out on sinewus bone feet with pasty, gangly, fungus jutting out from the area where the nail and bone meets its pasty flesh that is not covered by hair. The creature is top heavy and it's head takes up about a good quarter of it's body and when it's mouth opens it's a cascading kaleidoscope of teeth and miniature worms that tear your flesh to pieces as it draws and impales you on the teeth of it's maw.

Entity Personality: Kopic is obviously a narcissistic type. He does not care about his host or the people his host comes in to contact with. All the entity wishes for is to feed it's hunger and to stay alive. Almost the polar opposite of his Host Corben who does care and has morals (all be it skewed ones) The Kopic wishes to tap the very depths of this mortals soul and fill it's belly to the point where hunger is no longer a factor. If that means coming closer to the host or consuming him than so be it.

Host-Entity Relationship: Corben is not aware of the Kopic just yet. The Kopic on the other hand is quite aware of him and need's to feed. The entity can sense his host is damaged goods but can also sense that Corben has a good heart and thinks that figuring the entity out (even though he doesn't know what it is yet) will some how help him fix his life. The Kopic only wants a meal and will help his host if it means eating the solution at the end of the road.

Edited by LTJG RIO

I haven't seen a message yet, but since I'm about to get ready for the day and might not be able to get back until later this afternoon.

You're free to interpret any of the entities' appearances and personalities as you wish. Depending on how old of a creature it is and how many hosts it has gone through, they can be fairly human-like and have a good understanding of humans, including how to interact with other entities and hosts. Whether they're more interested in feeding or have greater plans is an individual thing.

Their appearances can vary within the parameters set in the descriptions. So in your case, as long as it's tall and pasty with long fingers, huge eyes, and sweet hair, you can play with the appearance as much as you like. Obviously they're meant to be a little nightmarish and unsettling, so I probably won't accept any applications that call for a kawaii-ass kopic, haha.

I haven't seen a message yet, but since I'm about to get ready for the day and might not be able to get back until later this afternoon.

You're free to interpret any of the entities' appearances and personalities as you wish. Depending on how old of a creature it is and how many hosts it has gone through, they can be fairly human-like and have a good understanding of humans, including how to interact with other entities and hosts. Whether they're more interested in feeding or have greater plans is an individual thing.

Their appearances can vary within the parameters set in the descriptions. So in your case, as long as it's tall and pasty with long fingers, huge eyes, and sweet hair, you can play with the appearance as much as you like. Obviously they're meant to be a little nightmarish and unsettling, so I probably won't accept any applications that call for a kawaii-ass kopic, haha.

That's my fault! MY FAULT! I'm very sorry I had to go to a meeting just as I was about to message you and I completely forgot. Sorry. Your info was very helpful and I am updating it now. Please use and change the character entity or both as you see fit.

Here's my character template! Let me know if anything sticks out to you and I'll have it changed. I wasn't too sure how to express the entity, or the relationship between the host and entity. Hopefully it turned out fine.

This seems really cool though. I'm excited to read!

Host Name: Michael Larkin
Host Age: 24
Host Appearance: Above average height (185cm), clear skin, scruffy brown hair, and deep hazel eyes. A thin build.
Host Personality: Methodical about everything he does. He'll always assess the risk and gain before making 95% of his decisions. The other 5%, however, appear to be completely random. He says if he doesn't have at least some random aspect to him "then I'm no different to a machine". Generally, he's neither happy nor unhappy, and stays at a neutral state.
Host Back story: Michael is an aspiring poet who spends most of his time researching and writing. He's loved humans since he can remember, but has a hard time capturing them in words. When he was a child he entered a poetry contest only to have his work brutally criticized. The theme was 'living', but his work would always resemble a machine. Something automated. He would do everything by the book, and if that was wrong, the book was wrong. The only solution was to get a better book. When he was studying in school he was the top student in both academics and sports, though he dropped out at the early age of 15. This only caused Michael's place in society to fall even steeper, furthering him away from human contact. He's never been with a woman, nor man, though it could be said he has absolutely no intention either way. He's been with the entity since the age of 14, though he believes himself to be schizophrenic. He considers him his only 'friend', but at the same time disregards his existence entirely.

Entity: Caracomi
Entity Appearance: Michael is not sure what his appearance is, though the Caracomi has sometimes re-used the same forms. He mostly appears as a manikin, a robot, an elegant black-haired lady, or most rarely it will appear as Michael himself - with a few differences depending on his mood.
Entity Personality: The Caracomi's personality is a bit hard to grasp for Michael. It feels somewhat sadistic (or is it Michael being masochistic), and very curious. On first meeting it has a very childish attitude but on a deeper level it feels wrapped in enmity.

Host-Entity Relationship: Michael considers the Caracomi to be a repressed part of himself coming to surface in his mind. Something that should be part of him, but somehow got splintered off. Because of this Michael is sure that the Caracomi doesn't exist. However, the Caracomi isn't angry because of this. In fact, it could be said that he even enjoys it. He questions Michael a lot to find more about him, and uses everything he knows to try warp Michael to his will.

I added some tidbits to help with character building—someone of it you can probably glean from the race profiles. I am world-building in the meanwhile, so don't be afraid to ask questions!

You can name your entities, haha. They may choose to adopt personal names, though the osia and caracomi are less likely to adopt a name—the caracomi are shapeshifters, so attaching a name doesn't feel proper; and the osia are energy beings that don't care about much besides feeding.

Like I said, entities are pretty open to interpretation. As long as you stay clear of talking about where they came from (that will be explored later, it's not something they would talk about with the hosts), most everything is open season. If they want to try to take over the world, they certainly can. If they hate their host and want to eat them, they can do that too, haha.

Anyway, the characters look good! ouo

I just want to know what you mean by manikin—is it something like this or something like this?

Trying to keep it short and sweet. Also sorry for procrastinating for this, just was an interesting concept so needed to come up with something fun. Feel free to change anything that doesn't fit. I also tried to leave a source of conflict between her and her dad so you would have somewhere to begin writing.

Host Name: Natasha Franzgrote

Host Age: 17

Host Appearance: Tall, long brown hair, brown eyes, and slim; an exact fit for the tall, dark, and handsome role if she actually cared about her appearance. Her hair is typically disheveled, matching the wrinkled t-shirts and sweatpants that she wears every day.

Host Personality: Almost non-existent to others, Natasha will only speak when spoken to and ignores any attempts at friendship. In fact, she is completely disinterested in anything but music, which she fanatically pursuits.

Host Backstory: Her mother died while giving birth to Natasha, leaving only her father to care for her. However, due to his job as a businessman, he is unable to remain at home for long periods of time. Natasha grew up mostly on her own. She spends all her free time trying to create music. This caused her grades to stay low and her figure to stay slim due to malnutrition from forgetting meals. With her finals coming for the end of her senior year, her father has now began to crack down on her habits and is pushing her away from her music and towards studying.

Entity: Cyiaah

Entity Appearance: The cyiaah appears as an angelic version of Natasha's mother. Red wings sprout out of it's back.

Entity Personality:  The cyiaah is completely content to stay back until it is time to feed. However, due to it's long association with Natasha, it will sometimes manifest when she feels strong emotions or becomes stressed. Recently it has been awakened more and more due to her arguments with her father. Whenever it takes control to feed, it tends to go for small game that is as close as possible.

Host-Entity Relationship: Natasha's live has revolved around her entity from the very beginning. Her entity began to show itself from a young age, humming lullabies and appearing as an angelic version of the mother she never met. As she grew, she feverishly began to learn music, hoping to draw out the visions of this wonderful creature again. She now sees the angel as her muse, giving inspiration for new songs, and will willingly turn over her body. She now inflicts self harm to desperately write out the beautiful music and ideas before they disappear, still covered in whatever remains of the entities last catch. Due to the influx of power after feeding, the entity will sometimes heal the largest of wounds inflicted to retain the host. Natasha is aware of the entity and will allow it to take control whenever, trusting it as a Madonna that can never be wrong.

Edited by lemmingllama
  • Like 1

Another upd8.

Hopefully I'm translating everyone's apps properly enough, otherwise this is going to be a very awkward journey. The most awkward.

Applications should conceivably remain open throughout the tale, but who knows.

If there aren't any other character applications hiding in the wings, there'll probably be one more establishing character shot this weekend and then I'll turn the blender on.

Everybody dies.

Hopefully I'm translating everyone's apps properly enough, otherwise this is going to be a very awkward journey. The most awkward.

Everybody dies.

Technically they are your characters, we are just feeding you ideas and then you act on them. A new race, the Forumian entity!

And all good stories should be spoiled with everyone dying, makes people not see it coming!

Thank you for that one and here's my character. So so so so very sorry that it's a long one :(

Host Name: Crystal Chaise

Host Age: 22

Host Appearance: Auburn hair in a pixie cut atop a small head with sharp features, a phoenix tattoo on the right cheek, bright green eyes, a prominent chin giving her face an elfish look, she looked like a model with her tall, slim, perfectly toned body and well-chosen clothes. She didn’t take much effort with her appearance but somehow she managed to look so perfect all the time that she made every girl jealous.

Host Personality: Her name says it all. Cold and hard-hearted as crystal, she is blunt, bold and daring. There is nothing and no one she fears, even though she has lived alone her entire life. She has no recollection of anything before the age of 6 and despite being a brilliant student in school and university, she has never made any close friends, preferring instead to have an ever-widening circle of acquaintances, associates and contacts to use whenever she sees fit. Using her natural talent for speech, she manipulates people cleverly so she is adored, loved, feared, respected and hated. A master at deception with a cool head, she is never at a loss in a difficult situation and is the first one people run to in times of need.     

Host Backstory: Crystal first realized that she couldn’t remember anything before 6 years on her first day in junior high and the little kids began asking her about her family. Her lying would begin from there, making up multiple stories to cover up her memory loss. She found that she lived in a small room alone and that no one seemed to question her solitary life at such a young age. Having excelled at studies and in a strange twist, at graceful sports like gymnastics and figure skating, Crystal made it to an Ivy League College and a job at an event planning agency. Despite her busy schedule she has never felt a need to get close to any person, physically or emotionally. She is currently following a double degree in Graphic Design and Animation, aiming to get into the national figure skating team, the youngest president of the Student Council in college and Event Coordinator at her job. Crystal is also contemplating modeling for magazine covers.     

Entity: Cyiaah

Entity Appearance: The entity has named himself ‘Ax’ and his appearance is very similar to Crystal’s with the exception of the hair and eyes which are jet black and blue respectively. Large black wings give him a devilish look which for some reason his host seems to love and allows him to sustain for as long as he can.

Entity Personality: Ax can be kind and caring, cruel and harsh; he is multi-personalitied and fiercely protective of his host. He sometimes talks to her when she is upset and supports her since she so very willingly listens to his commands especially when he needs to feed. Ax refuses to accept that he cares for his host in a deeper sense.

Host-Entity Relationship: Ax allowed his host to grow up like a normal child without disclosing his existence till the age of 6 and on showing himself to her, she hadn’t feared him. Ax was pleased and, after erasing her memory and moving her from her home, the pair have been working together in fulfilling each other’s needs. Ax is the dominant partner and guards Crystal jealously, forcing her to comply with his rules and she willingly submits since he keeps her happy and she has no qualms about letting him take over her body or the things that he makes her do. He uses all her skills to his advantage such as her sharp sight, her talent for speech and her brains, but in return he lets her have a graceful body, heightened senses and controls her emotions and desires. He makes Crystal get the tattoo to remind her constantly that other people cannot know of his existence since she is very in tune with his mind and often forgets that he is invisible to others.

No worries, haha. ouo

To be honest, I don't remember much about my childhood starting roundabouts ten. I'm more inclined to believe I emerged from a pod after hitting alien puberty, haha.

But yeah, that kind of memory manipulation wouldn't really be necessary. Our brains play enough tricks on us that they wouldn't need to do anything besides act very convincingly and maybe bribe us with whatever. If they've been around the block a couple times, they'll have picked that up.

I mean, it's cool to mess around with your host, but if you drive them off the deep end one way or another, you might end up getting evicted because now your host is dead or you were overpowered by a psychic surge. Either way, there's no guarantee you'll get another host.

Those were some very interesting articles and pretty scary how they're all true. The mind is a very complex organ and it governs the rest of the body, but it can also turn and twist you around.

Can't remember much of childhood huh? I think I purposely blocked it out as much I could and now, when I need to remember something from my past, it's all fuzzy.

Aliens are not my thing anyways.......

Pretty much everyone is hit with childhood amnesia, haha.

Apparently people used to think it was indicative of abuse if people couldn't remember their early years, but now that's pretty much been debunked. People who remember real early years are more likely to have fabricated the memory from other sources--photographs, someone else telling the story, &c--than they are to have actually remembered it themselves.

Obviously our brains will eventually tell us that it's totally a legit memory and that we totally remember it, even though it was actually fabricated.

I very much enjoy the supernatural and most of what I write is along those lines. It's okay if it's not your cup of tea. ouo