Retainers/Braces help

RazorDan

The retainer might stop them from moving any further, but I don't think they'll help push things back into alignment. I think there are things that look like retainers that can do some voodoo on your palate (palate spreaders??), but, yeah, I think in general retainers don't do the job braces do.

Which is a total bummer because braces are super expensive. I want to get my bottom teeth straightened out because it gives me headaches and my jaw hurts from their stupid placement, but the Air Force never bit for that. I also don't like trying to con the system, so that probably played a big part in it, haha.

If they no longer fit, you may want to pay your orthodontist another visit. Teeth tend to shift back into their original positions, which is what the retainers are meant to prevent in the first place. If you've avoided wearing them long enough for your teeth to have gone crooked again, you may need a re-treatment, but you can't know for sure unless you get a check up done. Sometimes, minor corrections can be done by simply using a fixed retainer for an extended period, so you may not need braces all over again.

(I'm a dentist, by the way).

I'm in a similar predicament. I had my wisdom teeth removed after getting my braces off, and at that point, stopped wearing my retainer. Putting it back in is excrutiating. My teeth haven't moved that much, so I'm just dealing with less-than-perfect teeth now. But I agree with Shima; if you feel like they're getting bad again, have it checked out. Maybe the orthodontist can correct it with Invisalign or something, instead of going back to full braces. It's probably better to get it checked sooner rather than later in that case.

So many of us fall into this trap, haha.

• Like 1

I'm in a similar predicament. I had my wisdom teeth removed after getting my braces off, and at that point, stopped wearing my retainer. Putting it back in is excrutiating. My teeth haven't moved that much, so I'm just dealing with less-than-perfect teeth now. But I agree with Shima; if you feel like they're getting bad again, have it checked out. Maybe the orthodontist can correct it with Invisalign or something, instead of going back to full braces. It's probably better to get it checked sooner rather than later in that case.

So many of us fall into this trap, haha.

I am so glad my wisdom teeth were removed before they even thought about coming out. that being said, i won't have an excuse to not wear my retainer.