Community

poetictragedy

Community is an American television comedy series created by Dan Harmon that premiered on September 17, 2009 on NBC. The series follows a group of students at a community college in the fictional locale of Greendale, Colorado. The series heavily uses meta-humor and pop culture references, often parodying film and television clichés and tropes.

I recently discovered this show (through Tumblr, surprise), and I think it's brilliant. I've never been a fan of comedy, but there's something different about Community. I remember somebody commenting that Community celebrates being a nerd, instead of making fun of nerds like shows such as the Big Bang Theory. (At least I think that's how it goes on Big Bang; I've never actually watched it.) Maybe it's because I'm a huge dork, and get all of the pop culture references and fandom jokes, but this show is hilarious to me.

My favorite "comedy" (though technically it's been labelled a dramedy) is M*A*S*H, because of it's quick witty humor, in contrast to its serious side. I think Community has that same feel, though obviously, the comedy outweighs the drama. And sometimes the drama is so ridiculous, you find yourself laughing at it, regardless.

Does anyone else watch this show?

Dean Pelton is hilarious! With his silly costumes and his huge crush on Jeff. Always funny.

I don't know who my favorite character is... Everyone is so great. I'm kind of leaning toward Annie, probably because she's like me in a lot of ways.

My favorite episode though might be either Modern Warfare (I just really like all the paintball episodes) or the Epidemiology Halloween special where everyone turned into zombies. The Law and Order spoof episode Basic Lupine Urology was pretty funny too.

I was just looking at the descriptions, and realized I skipped an episode! Off to watch it now, haha.

Someone actually mentioned this to me the other day, saying my TAFE (school) I go too reminds them of this show, I've never seen it so I was kinda lost, is it worth watching or no?

I think part of the reason this show is so funny to me is because my college was a lot like Greendale. It wasn't technically a community college, but it seemed close enough, haha.

I think it's totally worth watching. I'm not sure how it would go over in another country because of all the American culture influences and things, but I'd say give it a try.

It's funny! Well worth watching! The reason why I personally like it is because the supporting characters. They're all funny, always. Actually, after reading this thread the other day I decided to youtube some clips. I found some webisodes (that don't show in Australia), oh lord it was funny.

I might pick up watching it again, Season 4 just came out I believe?

I just found out about the webisodes, and haven't had a chance to watch them yet.

And yes, season four just started last Thursday. So Valentine's Day will be episode two. And it's a Halloween episode, which I think is hilarious in its own right. I guess the cast is calling it Valloween, haha. Joel McHale was talking about how NBC decided to push back the premiere from October to February, and that messed up the timing of all the episodes; so the Christmas special will be some time in April, whoops.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...