Live-action Robotech actually happening...

Emrys

Live-action Robotech actually happening (Thank you, Pacific Rim!)

It's been in development hell for more than five years, but it looks like the '80s mech classic is finally happening.

Back in 2007, Akiva Goldsman and Tobey Maguire set out to produce a live-action version of one of the most beloved Japanese mech anime ever made, Robotech. They went through a number of script rewrites and didn't seem to be getting any traction. Looking back, it's not all that surprising, considering there didn't seem to be a market for that sort of picture.

But that was then, and this is now. With Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim getting tons of press, a new Godzilla movie on the way and a major Eastern influence on The Wolverine, there seems to be a lot more room for a picture like this to make some headway.

That's exactly what happened, and today we can confirm that first-time film director Nic Mathieu has taken the job of bringing Robotech to the big screen. This isn't the first time we've seen this recently, either. Remember that popular comic series Y The Last Man hired a first-timer, too. In this case, Mathieu's background is in commerical directing. Specifically, the kind of high-concept stuff that makes him a good fit for this sort of filmmaking.

Link: http://www.blastr.com/2013-1-25/live-action-robotech-actually-happening-thank-you-pacific-rim

• Like 1

Well. It really does depend on what they actually do? Are they going to do an adaptation of Robotech or Macross? Robotech is the US version of Macross of course, but they changed many major story elements; for instance that all the Zentradi are beaten by singing (which is what happens in Macross) as opposed to them not really being beaten at all.

I mean, there could be a huge difference either way. Harmony Gold has the rights to their version of the story, so they'd probably do that one. But that means they'd still have to get permission from Tatsunoku Productions for using their mecha designs and character names. Its a bit of a property quandary.

But I'll be watching this intently. I'd love to see a live action version of Robotech but I'll stay sceptical until there is a definite announcement that its happening... 

EDIT: I also forgot they'd have to get the rights from the guys that made M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A and SDC: Southern Cross. I mean heck, that is a lot of negotiation right there...lol

Edited by Anras Rune