Dead Space Fanfic ~Introduction And Chapter One~

Dark_Angel13

Reloading his weapon he accidentally drops the belt feed ammo box due to his now shaky hands, the team’s doubts about his leadership about to come up yet again until Spectre speaks quickly “Shut up! Can you all hear that?”

~

Meanwhile back on the landing pad Dozer has begun to look around the area, moving through the minefield to check out open vents and whatnot. At one point shining his flashlight into a closed vent and seeing something move inside it quickly as he jumps back and fires a shotgun shell off into the vent. Calming himself for a moment he slowly backpedals to the ship, stepping backwards through the minefield.

Moving back to the ship he looks around, starting to panic a little when he hears noises from all around him but when they silence he calms, moving then to check on the pilots and see if they’re okay inside the shuttle.

Checking on the pilots he leaves the entry to the shuttle open so he can easily move out, lowering the helmet on his rig as he calms the pilots when they ask what the shot was before. Dozer explaining that he thought he saw something but was just a shadow. The pilots quickly becoming more anxious at that, having heard about what happened on the Ishimura and having a basic knowledge of how Necromorphs attack due to those stories.

Glancing around the cabin, Dozer notices that one of the pilots has a pistol from the storage in the back. Dozer taking it off him quickly and shakes his head “You two are civilians, you don’t need weapons”.

Seconds after he finishes that sentence and Infector suddenly rushes aboard the shuttle, having made it around the mine field easily and when one of the pilots spot it behind Dozer he yells in fear, making Dozer turn around fast as his eyes widen and he goes to shoot at it but it’s too late.

The infector already enveloping Dozer in its wings and due to his helmet being down it easily spears it’s proboscis into his forehead.

Blood sprays all over the infector then from the head wound as the pilots yell and rush out of their seats, moving past the Infector and Dozer and out of the shuttle. Slashers suddenly breaking out of the vents all over the room as one of the pilots pushes open the crate Dozer was sitting on, grabbing out a pistol and starts firing at some of them.

The pistols’ round too weak as the other pilot yells to him about the mines and how there’s no point in wasting ammo. The other pilot nods as he rushes into the shuttle and shoots at the Infector in an attempt to get it off Dozer’s body but to no avail, it simply dropping Dozer after successfully filling his head with yellow infecting bile.

Outside the second pilot is still panicking as he watches the Slashers move around the edges of the mines as if waiting for something. The second pilot glancing at the door the team went through, swallowing thickly as he starts moving through the minefield, standing in the middle of it, figuring he’s safe standing there as the Infector comes out of the shuttle, followed by a Slasher.

The slasher coming out of the shuttle has torn parts of the pilots clothing on it, Dozer still inside apparently as the Necromorphs just look at the pilot who suddenly yells for help loudly. Unfortunately the team is out of earshot by then and the only way to communicate with them is from the shuttle or Dozer’s radio.

Panicking the pilot scans the room around him, ignoring the Necromorphs for the moment as he tries to find some form of escape but sadly doesn’t find one that isn’t blocked by a monster.  The Necromorphs simply waiting him out as a voice suddenly comes over the landing pad speakers, a man speaking through them to the pilot.

“Well you do seem to be in a spot of bother don’t you young man? Perhaps I can help you out, just give me one moment” The pilot looking up quickly and hearing static now from the speakers in the room as he yells for help, unsure if the man can even hear him but desperately hoping he does. The voice returning then “Oh it seems I’ve found out how to hack into your shuttle’s on board computer, let me just fiddle with this for one moment”

The shuttle suddenly shuts down then, it being the power source for the minefield as the Necromorphs rush in quickly and tear the pilot apart who cries out in anguish but is quickly silenced as the voices comes over the speaker system again “Terribly sorry about that, perhaps I will have better luck with the others” A soft chuckle heard then as the system goes dead after that.

~

Back in the food court the team has begun searching it for any survivors, it a fruitless task as they return to the centre of the room, Simmons pointing to a door that leads deeper into the Sprawl then. “We’ll go through their next”. Spectre glancing at him for a moment before pointing to a door on the opposite side of the room, “That would be the better option I believe if you’re trying to find survivors, there’s an escape pod bay through that way”

Simmons simply nods as Spectre’s remarks and points to the door he mentioned. “That way it is then, get it open Hacker”. Hacker moving to it quickly as the team hears a loud scream from upstairs, the woman from the bathroom running out, covered in Swarmers that bite and tear at her flesh as she frantically tries to pull them off, managing to throw a few away but eventually trips down the stairs and the swarm kills her outright.

Once done with her they turn their attention to the team who quickly dispatch them with ease, having not fired before for risk of harming the woman. Simmons refusing to look at her body as he moves over to the door Hacker is at and hits it. “Get this fucking thing open!” The power going out then suddenly as the room is flooded with darkness, flashlights instantly being turned on as the team looks around quickly.

Jin stands there then for a moment before drawing his plasma blades as the speakers in the food court emit some static before the man’s voice from before comes through “I hit the light switch by mistake, let me see if I can get them back on”

Screams and growls from Necromorphs heard then as they start flooding into the room from air vents and the floor, Simmons and Hacker desperately trying to get the door open while the team start to open fire on their attackers.

Just finished this, it hasn't been entirel edited so may be some errors and I think I changed tense again... but oh well, enjoy it all the same those who are reading this

Everyone is dying. Those poor nameless pilots.

I feel like there should be a chart like in Battle Royale to tell me who is still alive and who has been 86'd, haha.

Haha yes those poor nameless pplz. Well I can do a little thing like that if you wish so you know who's left, right now the only character who is dead is Dozer, and there's 6 left now, I have character sheets made for each character too, would anyone like me to put those up so you can get a little backstory and a feel for the characters?

Edited by Dark_Angel13

While Simmons and Hacker frantically try to hack open the door the team continues to hold their position, using stasis units to slow their enemies as they tear them limb from limb with their firearms, leaving none alive as the door suddenly opens only for several survivors to run through, being chased by more slashers, the team moving quickly as one of them lobs a sticky grenade down the hall.

The grenade going off moments later and killing the remaining enemies, the survivors in a panic and clearly suffering from some form of dementia as they don’t stick around, running from the team upstairs to some other door, yelling that their still being chased by something and that it got the others.

Snow moves forward then, drawing his plasma blades as he heads down the long hall first, the team ignoring the survivors when they rush off like that, not having time to chase down people. Moving down the hall the team is quickly disgusted by the sight of dozens of dismembered bodies all over the place, limbs scattered about aimlessly.

Snow continues on, ignoring the bodies as the team rounds the corner to find several recently killed survivors, one of them suddenly sitting up though, missing an arm as it looks at the team. The man drenched in his own blood as he tries to call to them for help but just brings up a lot of blood, coughing a lot before dropping.

Doc moves to the man quickly then, about to check his vitals when his RIG suddenly makes the flat line noise and she sighs, just closing the man’s eyes gently before standing up. Hawk moves around the room then slowly, looking at the bloodstained walls and the mess all over the place, seeing messages crudely written on walls from survivors, the messages wrote in blood and other items.

Simmons clears his throat then, telling the team to move on as they continue on, leaving that small hall room as they continue on, and going deeper into the sprawl. Having no idea what’s happened back at their shuttle yet.

The team eventually comes out into a larger open area then, some form of business area with several ramps leading up to the businesses, signs at the foot of the ramps as Tex moves in, checking the motion scanner as the readings show life within the buildings. Tex orders the team to set up a perimeter then and to start searching the businesses.

Once the perimeter is up the team begins their search, moving in groups of two, being thorough but quick with their searches, finding several survivors as they bring them out into the centre of the room. Hawk stands by them then; guarding them as he listens to their inane babbling and watches them twitch and look around, clearly panicking and afraid.

Simmons continues searching by himself then since he ordered Hawk to guard the survivors, Simmons moving through the small office as he checks around the place, trying to find the heat signatures on the motion sensor as he comes across a girl sitting with a dismembered body, the girl holding the bodies hand, the arm the only limb left on the body.

Simmons sighing sadly as he moves over, gently pulling her away from the body as she cries, calling out for her father as Simmons gently pulls her outside. The other team members suffer similar experiences, everyone grieving and distraught, some even seeming completely out of their minds.

Once the team has gathered up the survivors Simmons tells Hacker to radio back to the shuttle that they’re coming back and bringing survivors. Hacker doing as ordered as the team hears the static from the radio, Hacker repeating the message several times before looking at Simmons who kicks a nearby sign down and yells fuck loudly.

Hawk looks at Hacker quickly then, the second in command as he tells her to keep trying to reach the shuttle on the radio while the rest of the team hands out some of their rations to the survivors, the food seeming to calm them a little.

Hacker tries for ten minutes to reach the shuttle as Simmons sits nearby, rubbing his face a little as he doesn’t know what to do, having not thought shit would hit the fan so quickly. Hawk taking charge over him then, ordering the team to gear up and prepare for the move back to the shuttle.

Meanwhile back at the shuttle the minefield is still shutdown due to the lack of power on the shuttle, the dock lights flickering on then suddenly as Dozer bursts out the back of the shuttle, the hole in his head healed as he coughs up a large amount of yellow liquid.

Dozer looks at his hands then as he tilts his head slightly, the infection having mutated differently within Dozer, taking longer as his hands suddenly snap back at the wrists, causing him to cry out in pain, his entire body starting to snap and reshape as he drops and writhes on the ground in pain.

The mutations in Dozer are less horrible then in most Necromorphs, his body parts refiguring but staying human in shape, none of his limbs reforming as his body stays almost fully intact apart from the bone like claws that his hands have become. His RIG now torn apart in several places due to bones reshaping as he stands a little shakily.

A nearby camera flickering on then as Dozer looks at it and lets out a loud horrifying yell like any Necromorph, the new Dozer then walking quickly for the way the team went, several Necromorphs suddenly coming out of vents then and rushing at him, stopping though when they realise he’s one of them, confused by him but being mindless animals they just forget it and go on their way.

Dozer moves over to one of the vents then and climbs into it, his legs snapping a little then as he grunts and suddenly starts rushing through the vent quickly, his helmet still down so his blood stained face can be seen easily, one of his eyes missing now and there’s just a gaping hole left there with several bits of flesh crossing over the hole there where the mutation began to heal the wound.

Back in the business sector Hawk heads for the door leading back to the shuttle as the strangers voice is suddenly heard, making the team and survivors looks up. “Your friend is coming, there’s no need to go back to the dock anymore”. Hawk looks down then and just grunts, deciding to wait for Dozer.

A few moments pass from then before Simmons hears a beep from the motion sensor, looking up as he checks it, it one of the team as he stands. “Dozer is coming now” The team looking down the hall then, one of them shining a flashlight down it as Simmons watches the motion sensor, it showing Dozer’s getting closer to them but none of them can see him at all.

Hawk backing away then, feeling uneasy as he tells the team to move out quickly in the opposite direction, the team gathering up the survivors quickly as they move through the next set of blast doors, the team and survivors moving quickly through the next network of halls before reaching a locked blast door.

Hacker moving to the control panel and trying to hack it as nearby in a room beside the hall Dozer crawls out of a vent and snaps his limbs back into place, standing as he moves over to the thick glass that looks into the hall, standing in the darkness as one of the team jumps and shines their flashlight on him, seeing him as they gasp and step back.

Dozer looking at the door control panel then and hitting it, opening the door before seeming to just vanish into the darkness of the room. The team knowing their friends demise but unsure as to whether or not they’re hallucinating, moving off quickly to find a safer position.

I can't say I boast of much Dead Space knowledge ( I more so watched my brother play rather than play it myself) but it's moving along nicely! I don't really think it has the same atmosphere as Dead Space but it's definitely getting there! It's also pretty exciting, so another good job there.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it. Keep it up!

Lol no I wasn't gonna, it's already pretty clear what his demise was. I'm working on the dead space vibe slowly, it's just a little hard to capture while making it interesting still because for the most part it's all just eerily long hallways and noises, I don't wanna bore the readers but I'm trying to make it creepier. Nice to get some feedback on this too =)

Edited by Dark_Angel13

It can be hard to capture a specific atmosphere in text. It's easy when you audiovisual elements to work with, but building it with words can be a little tougher. Not to mention a lot of it does rely on the readers' use of imagination. You're doing fine, just keep at it and it will get easier to achieve the effect you want.

tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow.gif

Oh I can capture the atmosphere just fine EO but it's like I said, if you've played the games majority of the eeriness is walking down dimly lit halls while hearing metal stuff clang together and shit crawling around in vents or roaring at you and I don't really think I can do that too often, I'm actually back watching some dead space vids to help with the atmosphere, gonna start playing into the dementia and hallucinations soon too because of the Marker =)

• 3 weeks later...