Question about Quality

ZoOmi3

Hey Guys & Girls

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've been a fan of english dubbed anime for a long time now.

My question is and you guys probably get this alot but is there any Naruto in 480p or 720p that has english audio.

I like Naruto in english, I've got the entire Part I in english, I've even started downloading Naruto Part I the Boxsets (full iso editions) but they aren't in HD and I hate having to crop my screen on my 23".

Is there a post or site I can go to?

Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards ZoOmi3

Hey Guys & Girls

I'm pretty new to this forum, but I've been a fan of english dubbed anime for a long time now.

My question is and you guys probably get this alot but is there any Naruto in 480p or 720p that has english audio.

I like Naruto in english, I've got the entire Part I in english, I've even started downloading Naruto Part I the Boxsets (full iso editions) but they aren't in HD and I hate having to crop my screen on my 23".

Is there a post or site I can go to?

Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards ZoOmi3

All of Naruto is full-screen (4:3) and Naruto Shippuuden is full-screen (4:3) until around episode 54 where it finally gets put to wide-screen (16:9).

However, while it might start airing in wide-screen on episode 54 of Naruto Shippuuden, it's really not airing in HD. The 720p subs you see are actually upscaled from the TV broadcasters in Japan and most of the sub-groups fail to realize this fact. So while you can get subtitled 720p encodes.. they are not true HD. Naruto Shippuuden is only being done in 480p.

As for Naruto in English, well the dub is now only up to episode 39 of Shippuuden. So you will have to wait like another 15 episodes before it goes wide-screen to 480p.

Thanks Koby for the reply.

Maybe one day they'll release a blu-ray edition of Naruto.

Only problem is my ISP will kick my @$$ :dhh:

Also I've got one or two episodes of Naruto that are .mp4 not .avi.

Which file type do you think is better?

Thanks Koby for the reply.

Maybe one day they'll release a blu-ray edition of Naruto.

Only problem is my ISP will kick my @$$ :dhh:

Also I've got one or two episodes of Naruto that are .mp4 not .avi.

Which file type do you think is better?

If they release a Blu-ray edition, it could only be upscaled Blu-ray releases as the original animation is only up to 480p, unless they animate at a higher resolution than they hand the TV broadcasters, but if that was the case why would they not give them at least the 720p release if they were only going to upscale the 480p? So that leaves me to believe they aren't animating it at a higher resolution. Probably because it saves them time and money.

Most of FUNimation's Blu-ray releases though are actual upscales too and not true HD. But like the TV upscales, they actually look alright anyways. So you just might see Blu-ray releases eventually, but keep in mind they won't be true HD. Although as far as English releases go, I haven't seen Viz do any Blu-rays unless I just haven't seen them cause I haven't looked. Viz is the group that would have to do them if it were ever to be released dubbed.

Yeah you are definitley right there Koby.

With regard to the different file types.

IMO I like .mkv personally but I noticed .mp4 looked better than .avi

Any thoughts?

Well for starters .mkv, .avi, and .mp4 are containers, not codecs. The codecs is where it's at in terms of playback and quality.

Though .avi files usually use XVID as the codec which is decent and plays fine on older computers, but usually needs higher bitrate for good quality.

While .mp4 for the most part use H264 as the codec which is a really good codec for quality and all HD encodes are usually done with it as it compresses better and therefore can be used with lower bitrates to come out with a file equal of a higher bitrate XVID. It's a little slower at rendering though so some older computers can't always keep up, especially when you get up to like 720p or 1080p encodes.

As for .mkv it's just a container that anything gets muxed to. It's mostly used for soft-subs or multiple audio tracks. Since soft-subs when it comes to fansubs means one less re-encode with working with the file, it usually allows the file quality to be a little better than the .mp4. Though usually an .mkv file is just a .mp4 file muxed to .mkv to add soft-subs.

As I'm a fan of soft-subs over hard-subs, and prefer dual-audio encodes over dubbed or subbed only. I also prefer the MKV files.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...