Space Showcase....( ¬‿¬)

-Zero-

I want to try and make some like this. Any tips?

I have some tutorials saved here but unfortunately I haven't been able to complete them. This tutorial on Deviantart however is great for learning how to create planets: http://dinyctis.deviantart.com/art/Planet-Tutorial-3131869

I also have a .psd file here on this page: http://forums.kametsu.com/index.php?/topic/35330-tutorialspsd-filesseraphzer0s-spacesomething/

It's somewhat lacking but I hope it helps.

Like I said I have some tutorials saved here on my laptop but I haven't had the time to complete them. I recommend browsing through Deviantart. That place has a heckload of tutorials regarding space and all. I assume you have Photoshop and/or GIMP and some experience with it?

Well, anyway I hope that helps and don't hesitate to ask me for anything art/sig/banner related. You can also ask the members of the Graphics Team for help as well. Good Luck ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow sky above is sick :D Do you make your landscapes too or are they stocks? Also, do you have a deviantart?

Thanks!

Yes my good sir, I do have a Deviantart account, http://seraphzer0.deviantart.com/

The majority of the landscapes I use are stock. Unfortunately I don't have a decently powerful computer (with me) to render terrain with. I've been experimenting with Terragen and 3ds Max on my laptop but since it lacks the horsepower to render scenes most of the time I have to rely on my friend's PC to render the landscape so for the time being...it's all stock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

trololololo update time!!!!!

Looks like college took me for a wild ride this past semester. I was so caught up with everything that I didn't have the time to craft anything. But now that it's passed, I'd like to demo a new piece I've been working on for a while. Arguably, it's the first of its kind, for me of course. As you may or may not know, I've been relying on Photoshop for my space art, using photomanipulation as my preferred method, although I did dwell on painting a while back. During this semester, I learned alot about Autodesk Maya. To keep things short, Maya has allowed me to bring a level of unpredecented realism to my planets (although I'm still learning so don't expect much right now, teehee). From displacement maps to reverse nodes, the complexity was and still is overwhelming but it allows for a ridiculous amount of customization options when creating something as complex as a planet. There's only so much one can do with a 2D program. Why fake it when you can make it? Yeah.....that one sucked, I'll show my way out....lololol!!

Anywho, the planet relied on 6 spheres to create the surface, atmosphere and clouds. Rendered with Mental Ray at 4k resolution, the spheres were rendered separately and everything was composited in Photoshop, although I am going to be switching to The Foundry's Nuke soon. The background and other elements were added with Photoshop along with other tweaks and fixes.

I'm going to shut up now and let you guys enjoy it.....or not. I'm open to all suggestions and criticisms. I'm still a bit sketchy on compositing so I hope I did a good job. In any case I'll be relying on Autodesk Maya for my scenes for the foreseeable future.

*Note: this image was linked from my DeviantArt.

a_i_maya___skyfire_by_jael_x-d7kprjn.png

Edited by Seraph

• 3 weeks later...

WORK IN PROGRESS!!

Quantum V: New Horizons

new_horizons_wip_chapter_01_by_jael_x-d7

From my DeviantArt description:

"As promised, I have been working on New Horizons from last month up until today. While I didn't include the progress from May 26 (the start date), I'd thought it be fitting to show where I am right now in the pipeline.

The left image shows the scenery, which was created using USGS Satellite Data of the Horseshoe Bend in Arizona - using Global Mapper to change the data to two TIFF files (one for Orthoimagery and one for Elevation) - - which were then scaled down to 8192 x 4096 px (as Maya can only use up to 8k) within Photoshop. After some other modifications the two 8k TIFFs were sent to Maya to be used as a diffuse map and displacement map respectively. -

I then quickly created a simple bump map with Filter Forge inside of Photoshop and connected all 3 maps to an MIA_Material_X shader inside of Maya (as I am using Mental Ray for this). A Physical Sun & Sky was set up. The Exposure Simple node connected to the camera was then swapped for an Exposure Photographic Node, which allowed the camera to be tweaked much more. I rechecked everything, including making sure everything was in linear workflow mode and then I rendered the scene, which is shown on the left.

As for the right image, this shows the scene after I went back into Photoshop and removed all the shadows from the original map, which was resized from 49k to 32k . An Unsharp Mask was then added to well....sharpen it up. I then saved this 32k map (for later use, see below) and I also resized it to 8k x 4k. I then reconnected the diffuse to this new map, moved the Sun's position a little lower and then re-rendered, which gave me the image on the right.

Right now I'm working on Look Dev (the text above explains the process). I'm trying to hammer down the overall feeling and look of the terrain. There is still much left to be done though.

On my to-do list:

- Visibility Distance MEL script addition
-Reflection and lighting ratio tweaks
-Color Correction
-Swapping out the bump map for a more concrete and more solid looking map
-Changing the 8k map to the 32k by splitting up the 32k into 8 8k maps. These will then be applied to the geometry via a layered texture.
-Changes to the Physical Sun & Sky (swapping out the actual sky for an image but leaving the lighting intact + other stuff)
-Gloss map

And that will complete 1/2 of New Horizons. The next Work-in-Progress Chapter will detail all that I will do for the last half."

So yeah, I'm not even 1/2 there yet with this one. At least 1/4. lol.

Edited by Seraph

new_horizons_wip_chapter_02_by_jael_x-d7

From my DeviantArt description:

"Two days of work and the Look Dev part is somewhat complete. Lots and lots of stuff was hammered down into the scene. Bump maps, gloss maps, changes to the PS&S setup, color correction, VD(the pseudo fog you see in the image on the right), reflection tweaks, lighting tweaks, and all sorts of stuff. This takes care of Part 1 of New Horizons. Part 2 is the fun part, not to mention the longest part. Right now, I've set up a basic scene. Now it's time to customize it to my liking. The following will detail what it is I will be doing for Part 2:

-I will up-res the geometry in the foreground and mid-ground in Zbrush and replace the textures in that area with textures sourced from Google Earth Pro. This new geometry will be sculpted to add more detail and to counteract the wacky bump map distortion.
-The entirety of the textures(besides the ones from above) will be upscaled to around 16k. Right now I'm currently making use of 8 8k maps mapped accordingly to the geometry.
-I will most likely ditch the physical sun & sky system for individual HDR lights, as I don't want a day scene.
-Cleanup in MARI
-Fog addition
-addition of other assets such as trees, grass, flowers etc.

In addition to all of that, I will be including a special....someone within the scene. This someone is the reason I am calling this New Horizons.

Part 2 will take me some time to complete. I don't know when I'll be done with it so I'd rather not put down dates, but it's gonna look hella rad!!.....hopefully."

So officially I'm now halfway done. To explain the above in more detail:

Zbrush (as a sculpting tool) will allow me to effortlessly add more detail to the geometry (by making use of its ability to subdivide geometry [this can be done in Maya but it's not as straightforward]). Sculpting will add more details to the cliff, more so than what I could possibly get out of the displacement map alone. Notice how only the foreground/midground will be up-resed. The background will not be dealt with save for the increase in texture size to 16k from 8k. I will use The Foundry's MARI, another 3D program to clean up the textures by literally painting them onto the geometry(that's how it works). The MR PS&S system will be discarded. I don't want this to be a daytime scene so I have no further use for it....sort of. Atmospheric effects such as fog will be added as well, replacing the Visibility Distance tweak that I added. Trees and all sorts of flora will be added to give the world a sense of scale. Right now its pretty hard to judge the scale of the scene. It's actually quite big but the lack of smaller objects (save for the whackass rocks (that I will be removing later)) brings it down. As for the special someone, it's a 3d model I've been working on.....well, STILL working on. I won't reveal anything else on her (there, a freebie, that's it!).

Oh, here's a little extra from my files. This is a screen capture of the shading tree that I created just for the terrain (the one on the right image above):

Shading_Network_Terrain.jpg