Rurouni Kenshin Live-Action

MABFanForLife

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I finally got to watch the live action Rurouni Kenshin film and...

I was sadly disappointed.

Now, when it comes to Rurouni Kenshin, I'm too much of a "traditionalist" or "originalist" or whatever you want to call it. When I heard they were going to be making the movie and adding as many characters as they said, I said, "Okay, well I can understand that a few things have to be changed."

However, the amount of changes made, especially to the individual characters, were...frustrating to me.

I won't go into extensive detail, but just note that many of the characters are almost unrecognizable from their manga/anime counterparts. Their motivations, behaviors, attitude, everything is almost completely changed in most of the characters, which is what frustrated me the most. So, if you're like me and you wanted a real adaptation of the manga/anime, be prepared to be disappointed, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After finally seeing this I was thoroughly entertained. The only regret I had was that they took out the humor that *in my opinion* added to Kenshin. Watching this movie was like watching a 2h 30min tragedy and I felt that the humor could have balanced it out. Great action choreography and soundtrack and ...Goddamn Sanosuke! I didn't think they could have made him work in real life but they did.  

After finally seeing this I was thoroughly entertained. The only regret I had was that they took out the humor that *in my opinion* added to Kenshin. Watching this movie was like watching a 2h 30min tragedy and I felt that the humor could have balanced it out. Great action choreography and soundtrack and ...Goddamn Sanosuke! I didn't think they could have made him work in real life but they did.  

They totally didn't make Sano work in real life.

Sure, they picked some thugish looking dude to beat people up. That's the easy part. Where they screwed up with Sano was, not so much his personality but his motivations. The only reason Sano fights against Kenshin in the first place is for the money. It was no longer "I'm gonna fight you because you stand for everything I hate" like in the anime. It may have been the same character, per se, but robbed of his original motivation, it was a hollow shell to me.