Buying Anime from Japan

I want to start making my own encodes after i build my new PC, and learn more about AviSynth...Until then, I have some questions...I was looking at the Amazon.com of Japan (http://www.amazon.co.jp/) and searched an anime title i remember downloading, that said the source was a blu-ray, and i knew for a fact a blu-ray was never released in North America...such as THIS blu-ray release of Chobits :D I noticed that in the info, it said it included both English & Japanese voice casts, also English subs (just like dubs released in North America usually do)...My questions i have are these...

1) Is the English audio normally synced with the video in Japans releases?

2) For Screen size, all i saw was it was 1.78:1, is this similar to 16:9 in North America?

3) Is there a site that has more info on these Japanese release's? Info such as if it comes in 720P & 1080P

Would like some answers for those 3 questions :D Also if there is anything else you guys think i should know before purchasing Japan's releases, it'd be awesome if you told me :D

1) Is the English audio normally synced with the video in Japans releases?

2) For Screen size, all i saw was it was 1.78:1, is this similar to 16:9 in North America?

3) Is there a site that has more info on these Japanese release's? Info such as if it comes in 720P & 1080P

Would like some answers for those 3 questions :D Also if there is anything else you guys think i should know before purchasing Japan's releases, it'd be awesome if you told me :D

1) yes.

2) 1.78 x 9 = 16.02 and 1 x 9 = 9 thus 1.78:1 = 16:9

3) I don't know.

I'm pretty sure either it's been released or was announced not long ago that Chobits would be getting a BD release in the US. I'd have to check.

Thanks for the reply and aspect ratio conversions :D Im not sure about any upcoming release of Chobits, but i was just using it as an example :3 I downloaded a Blu-ray rip of Chobits that was 1080P, so i know it comes in 1080P on the Blu-ray...but can i use the 1.78:1 to determine if releases will be in 720P and 1080P?

Edited by WIRLYWIRLPOOL

What do you mean by "Info such as if it comes in 720P & 1080P"? I think the best place to find info like this would be adc lol.

Have a look here. Gives you a bit more info on the bluray than what amazon.co.jp does.

Thanks for the reply and aspect ratio conversions :D Im not sure about any upcoming release of Chobits, but i was just using it as an example :3 I downloaded a Blu-ray rip of Chobits that was 1080P, so i know it comes in 1080P on the Blu-ray...but can i use the 1.78:1 to determine if releases will be in 720P and 1080P?

All Blu-ray is at 1080p. Though that doesn't mean the source was. For example a lot of FUNimation Blu-rays are upscales.

Example:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is 1080p on Blu-ray because that's what Blu-ray is... however it was animated at 540p, thus meaning the Blu-ray is upscaled.

As for finding out exactly what each series was animated at, I'm not sure there is any sort of database for that.

• 1 month later...

All Blu-ray is at 1080p. Though that doesn't mean the source was. For example a lot of FUNimation Blu-rays are upscales.

Example:

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is 1080p on Blu-ray because that's what Blu-ray is... however it was animated at 540p, thus meaning the Blu-ray is upscaled.

As for finding out exactly what each series was animated at, I'm not sure there is any sort of database for that.

Always have wondered this but does upscaling reduce the quality?

Also is there any way to tell if something has been upscalled or not?