Do english dub ruin a Japanese anime story??

spike00

Most dubs are truthful to the story. The only thing that you will really miss if you watch the dub instead of a good sub is that you will not see any of the japanese jokes and a lot of the japanese culture will also be removed. So for action and that, you are not missing anything. For some slice of life and comedies, it will not be as good dubbed as it is subbed.

You will not miss any plot.

What lemming said is quite true, you miss out on a lot of japanese culture. Some dubs are just terrible, one good example is Initial D when tokyopop did it, they changed the character names and modified the story, music sounds, etc. Funimation took it up later on and made it true to the story. There are many bad dubs, but some cases subs can be even badder than the dubs.

As far as I know as long as the person translating has common sense a dub can be vary proper to the original. How ever theres a layer of comedy missing from all English dub. Japanese use phonetics to create there alphabet. The meaning of a word can change drastically just by pronouncing it differently or even by writhing the word horizontal instead of vertical. In many subbed shows as long as you know when it happens you can pick up on the joke even if not shown in the subs. Like the scene in one peace were Luffy is riding on the trains engine while leaving city 7. He says go faster, but every one thinks he's talking about frogs. This stuff is vary common and plays many parts in many different kinds of animes, but in English these things just don't exist.

I am notoriously picky about dub anime... I watch subbed versions of animes because most animes loose seem to much of their tone and humor in translation to dubbed english. And sometimes, just one bad voice actor can ruin the enjoyment of the rest of the anime for me.

Do you have any recommendations for really good dubbed animes out there?