Bouncing off ideas thread.

Talena Mae

in this thread I would like all the writers and people hoping to become a writer to bounce off ideas with each other. It is always handy to have another view or suggestion on where to go and what to do i found out though my years of writing.

So how about I go first...

In my new story, I have the dragon, human and half human/elf about to actually start their adventure, now, I want the girl to get into a little trouble in the first village they enter as she is not used to conversing with normal people.

So any ideas on how she could start a problem?

Cultural confusion/ignorance. She could ask a question in an effort to be nice that turns to be highly offensive. For example, for some Arabs, asking about their wives and/or daughters in specific is a big no-no, even if you're just asking how they are. You can ask how the family in general is, of course. Maybe she turns down some food and that offends them. She could comment that something is pretty and someone offers it to her as a gift, but she refuses them, again insulting them.

Maybe she accidentally treads onto sacred grounds? Or speaks rudely to a village elder without realising it. Or maybe she's just wearing something inappropriate, but doesn't understand why everyone is being weird around her.

I would say that she should be seen as an outsider and some of the more shady elements see her as easy prey. One big gambling losing streak later or something, the others find her and they run with whatever it was that she lost. Then law enforcement tries to get them too.

Another idea is that she gets insulted by something that another person says or does, like hitting a beggar for grabbing her or berates someone for using foul language.

I would say that she should be seen as an outsider and some of the more shady elements see her as easy prey. One big gambling losing streak later or something, the others find her and they run with whatever it was that she lost. Then law enforcement tries to get them too.

Another idea is that she gets insulted by something that another person says or does, like hitting a beggar for grabbing her or berates someone for using foul language.

I could picture her accidentally taking fruit/food item off a vendors stand without paying for it.

As for my story ( http://forums.kametsu.com/showthread.php?t=31327 ), I am debating on elaborating more on hell, or demonstrating how Edgar touches the decedent to find their lost soul.

"That is acceptable, proceed. Kevven sat up as she knelt down in front of him. Before he could change his mind she gripped his head he lowered all his barriers and felt all his knowledge about humans imprint in her mind. Then the influx of things about the dragons and dragon knowledge flooded his mind until he could think no more."

Maybe I should edit that so say "words" and not all the knowledge he had of humans?

As for your story Lib, I think you should elaborate more on hell, I like hell and it is interesting to see the way different people write it up ^.^