Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf

Koby

Personally I thought the anime was a bit drawn out, even though it is a fairly short series. The story was a pretty unique concept, but there was a total lack of excitement through the entire storyline. The art is pretty, and the characters are people you can relate to, but I think you could find better things to watch. I didn't read the Manga, but I heard it is very good... so I won't comment on that.

• 2 months later...
  • 12 years later...

If you haven't heard already, they're remaking the Spice & Wolf anime. Keeping same Japanese voice actors for the most part and the same director, but under a new animation studio and the character designs have been redone to appear more like the novels appearances.

cKsEDJO.jpeg

What do you think of the comparison? Top is the remake, bottom is the original anime.

• Koby changed the title to Spice and Wolf: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf
On 2/1/2024 at 7:15 AM, Koby said:

If you haven't heard already, they're remaking the Spice & Wolf anime. Keeping same Japanese voice actors for the most part and the same director, but under a new animation studio and the character designs have been redone to appear more like the novels appearances.

cKsEDJO.jpeg

What do you think of the comparison? Top is the remake, bottom is the original anime.

I still need to add this on my bucket list.

This is the difficult choice to make of the animation comparison. I'm thinking the remake looks is a bit fire to me. 

I'm happy about this! I was a novel-reader, and I read most of the manga adaptation as well. I don't have a preference between the newer and older styles as far as the anime is concerned. I'll check out the new one because it's a world I'd like to revisit.

24 minutes ago, Zemekis said:

I'm happy about this! I was a novel-reader, and I read most of the manga adaptation as well. I don't have a preference between the newer and older styles as far as the anime is concerned. I'll check out the new one because it's a world I'd like to revisit.

I'm definitely going to be watching it, but I would have honestly just preferred a season 3 rather than a remake in which we may or may not end up getting to new content depending on how well this goes. I certainly hope it does well enough that they continue the story to the end this time. But I'll definitely be more hyped for this once it gets to new content.

• Like 1

Just now, Koby said:

to the end this time.

I never watched through the first anime, so I didn't realize that they cut things early. That being said, this anime will likely end early as well. The light novels are still running. Unless the author concludes the light novels soon (and the anime production folks may know something I don't), this anime will need to find an artificial endpoint.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:15 PM, Koby said:

cKsEDJO.jpeg

Honestly, feels like they overdid the post processing at least on this frame. Kinda looks like someone applying a color correction filter for their AMV xD

Will still definitely check it out. Any news on what season it's coming out?