How to fix your Xbox 360 (RROD) 3 Red Rings

cloud1414

Well I got my Halo 3 SE 360 in the mail a couple weeks ago. Playing Raging Blast until I heard it beep and it froze, turned it off and back on just to see that it has 3 flashing red rings. I was like NOOOO!!!

But I do have a 90 day warranty but I dot want to waste money just to send it back to the guy I got it from ebay (Never buy anything Used or Refurbished on the internet) just a warning :)

So I'm thinking of fixing it my self this weekend when I get paid. I said whats there to loose. I only paid $150 for the xbox. If all else fails I can always buy a new console since it came with a wireless controller and a 20 gig hdd.

So I saw this video on youtube which will show you how to fix your 360 super cheap. All you need is a star screwdriver, thermal paste, and some nilon washers, metal wasthers, and some bolts/screws. And you can go to radioshack and lowes to get the things you need.

Here is the video :

xeWwB2l6thY

I will let you know if it worked for me, I hope this helps anyone else if they have the same problem.

Just updating you all to tell you that I got my 360 working again with this method, when you are finished with the xclamp fix, be sure to turn on your 360 with the av and power cord connected and let it overheat on purpose until you get two red flashing rings. You want to do that so the paste will bond with the cleaned gpu/cpu and the heatsinks. It was acting wierd when I started playing games I think the reason was because I didnt let the paste bond. I'll post more updates :)

Just updating you all to tell you that I got my 360 working again with this method, when you are finished with the xclamp fix, be sure to turn on your 360 with the av and power cord connected and let it overheat on purpose until you get two red flashing rings. You want to do that so the paste will bond with the cleaned gpu/cpu and the heatsinks. It was acting wierd when I started playing games I think the reason was because I didnt let the paste bond. I'll post more updates :)

My friend gave me his old 360 which was broke which I then gave to another friend because my brother bought me on for my birthday last year and we tried that method and it worked which really surprised me because I didn't think it would and the only problem he has had with it was the dvd drive went out so he had to get a new one which was only about $40.

Well doing the towel method will only warp your board. The only reason I overheated my 360 after I did the xclamp method was to bond the thermal paste to the heat sinks and the gpu/cpu which was safe, but if you do overheat it, once it turns to 2 red flashing lights after about 2 minutes you will have to unplug the ac cord from the 360 since the power button wont work. I hope the best for anyone who needs to fix their xbox. I only spent about $5-10 at burke hardware.

$1.00 for a screwdriver with 5 different bits

$1-2.00 for torx t8 & torx t10 bits

Rest was for washers and bolts, dont remember what size they were

best thing to do is take one heat sink with you and just try different screws and washers that fit the hole

I hope this info helps you out :)

So far my sisters 360 hasn't had any problems. But if it does, I'll be sure to take a look at these methods of repair. ^_^

If you're sister got it brand new and it got the RRD I would just send it back to Microsoft.My brother has had the RRD about 3 times and only had to pay to ship it their but the only thing that sucks is talking to customer serves because they outsource it.