What makes anime special to you and your favorite genre?

Alegend1994

Favourite Anime Genre  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite Anime Genre

• Action
    • Adventure
    • Comedy
    • Drama
    • Ecchi
    • Fantasy
    • Horror
    • Magic
    • Mecha
    • Mystery
    • Psychological
    • Romance
    • Science Fiction
    • Shōjo
    • Shōnen
    • Slice Of Life
    • Supernatural
    • Thriller
    • Tournament
    • Other

(If you like a combination of genres choose them or if you choose other; say which ones.)

The point of this thread was I wanted to see what was the most popular genre and I wanted to know other people's opinions on anime to see if they were similar to mine.

For me my favourite genre is romance with some comedy in there as well, just because anime romance feels like it can be so real but you know it only happens in animes but it is still heart warming & the anime comedy is the best ever.

And the reason I love anime so much is probably because when I watch it I forget about world around me and start imagining my anime world =). Also because I love the Japanese culture.

Any anime that actually makes you think a little. Stuff like Death Note and Eden of the East are superb. Of course, most anime genres have merit, comedy and action are both excellent too

I love animes like Clannad, Eureka Seven, The Melancholy etc. that are mainly fictitious but if you look for it you can find a deeper meaning.

Lots of times, it's not about all the fighting and fireball throwing and stuff. I appreciate a great storyline that makes me actually want watch it, just so I can see what happens next.

Yea I know what you mean many people I know think anime is just like the Dragon Ball or Pokémon series where it's all fighting but more often the story lines that are fantasy based on reality are better, but that's only my opinion on anime.

Edited by Emotional Outlet

I don't care about what genre it is, I just care that it has good characters and a good plot. Stuff like Death Note, Clannad, and Black Butler.

Yep at least on of the major characters need to have something that I can relate to with my life or a special characteristic about them for me to fully enjoy the anime, like with the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I can't really relate to any of the characters but each of the characters have something that I love about them.

What I like about anime, is how you can have a awesome story and plot in visual form. I love reading paranormal books, but most of the time when they try to replicate it in a live action movie, it turns out horrible. To me watching anime is like the best of both worlds, I get a great story line and its in a good graphical video.

Whatever the anime genre maybe, I think it is all about the drawing quality (frame to frame), the script and the soundtracks. A kind of magic alchemy, seemingly.

The drawing quality can depend because I'm used to classic anime drawing like the picture below but I saw pictures of lucky star & bakuman which are different but still great (pictured below).

The soundtrack is a massive thing for me when it comes to anime, especially since I love getting the songs straight finishing the anime.

Used to:

HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

Different types:

bakuman1.jpgLuckyStar.jpg

What exactly is "tournament"?

Anyway, I enjoy anime based on real life situations and that kind of stuff.

Tournament are things like Yu-Gi-Oh! & Beyblade

What I like about anime, is how you can have a awesome story and plot in visual form. I love reading paranormal books, but most of the time when they try to replicate it in a live action movie, it turns out horrible. To me watching anime is like the best of both worlds, I get a great story line and its in a good graphical video.

I never thought of it like that but I definitely like your reason for enjoying anime. I think that the drawings of the anime characters have a far bigger impact on my imagination than when I watch things with real actors, plus I find it more relaxing to watch anime instead of real actors.

• 5 weeks later...

I like anime that doesn't follow a specific pattern. Some shows start relapsing into predictable patterns. Animes that also get me thinking about bigger ideas are also wonderful for me to watch. That being said, action and adventure animes that don't do that are still fun to watch. For an anime to be ''special" to me it has to actually grab my attention in the first couple episodes (I have a short attention span).

I generally like the same genres that I have for movies. Action, Adventure, Psychological, or Supernatural. The reason I watch anime is to relax. I'm in my final year of school before college and I don't get home till eight. The thought of not watching anime when I come home... *shudders*

Luckily, the animes I've watched have brilliant plots and characters, which makes the experience twice as enjoyable. Give me Bleach over some Live-action series anyday!

I generally like the same genres that I have for movies. Action, Adventure, Psychological, or Supernatural. The reason I watch anime is to relax. I'm in my final year of school before college and I don't get home till eight. The thought of not watching anime when I come home... *shudders*

Luckily, the animes I've watched have brilliant plots and characters, which makes the experience twice as enjoyable. Give me Bleach over some Live-action series anyday!

Yeah same for me anime is to allow my mind to relax, I'm in my final year before University as well so I'm trying to fill my HDD before I leave so I have tons to watch when I get there.

Comedy and Action/Adventure especially comedy its good to always have a laugh

Same, I love the comedy when the characters have nosebleeds when they see something sexual or when the characters fall over because one of the other characters has said something stupid =). Also I like boob comedy as long as it doesn't take over the story.

My favourite is still Romance, just re-watched 5 Centimeters Per Second and it was just magical.

Tell the truth for me the genre isn't so important if the manga/anime has a good story, I gladly read/watch it ~ be action or adventure or comedy or drama or fantasy or horror or mystery or psychological or romance or shōnen...so on ~ if it can grab my attention and it's interesting I even read or watch it 2 or even 3 times ~ depends on my mood how many times I re-watch it.

I grew up watching a lot of Anime such as Dragon Ball Z and Tenchi Muyo to name a few, which is what peaked my interest in art I think, so that's probably what makes anime special to me. I can also remember spending the night over at my friends house and we would stay up late watching Toonami and Adult Swim.

My favorite genres would have to be shonen/comedy.