First lesbian couple voted homecoming king and queen in the US

Mute point

http://news.yahoo.com/high-school-students-crowned-americas-first-lesbian-homecoming-140805984.html

That says it all. I'm very happy about this, even though I had nothing to do with it. It makes me hopeful that the upcoming set of voters will be more likely to support basic rights and freedoms for all people, not just straight people.

While it is nice to see I suspected before reading the article that it would have to be in California, and it was, so while yes it may well be a leading indicator of things to come (since California does have that history within the US, especially on social trends/customs) I suspect and fear there is still going to be a large percentage of the new generation raised in the Bible Belt region and such that will continue to advance the prejudices of "tradition" (I loved the young woman's Facebook response to those angry at her school regarding what tradition/traditional truly meant especially for women, too many women under the age of 50 totally forget that there was a time not so long ago where everything she listed was reality in NA for women, because of the activists in the 50s, 60s, and 70s that really changed but is still resented by many that prefer more "traditional" ways even now).

Still though it is an encouraging sign in a nation that has been for all its smugness about being tolerant and modern very openly homophobic for the past decade or so (thank you GOP, and especially GWB riding the waves of homophobia to holding power in 2004 in particular), it will be interesting to see how this plays within the US and especially with other high school aged young Americans across the country. I suspect this might be a hot topic in social media for a while, and it will be interesting to follow that if it is. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Mute point, greatly appreciated.

Thank god, but I fear for these girls cause their name is out there. There are people that will hurt them for being lesbian. Just gotta hope nobody is stupid/crazy enough to go that far. I'm not lesbian but I don't mind if someone else is. There will always be people against this, but little by little gays and lesbians must be accepted as perfectly normal people.

my views on the world has been on a consistent "coin relativity" which means i can go back and forth on a subject or choose neither one.

i'am surprised to see this, and a bit happy, at the same time i don't really care.

people are as people do, but there are so much more people in this world that will see this as an opportunity to attack the innocent couple.

i do like dreaming of the day when someones personal interests and decisions are not apart of the news.

• 3 weeks later...