In the face of oppression, what is the best course of action?

TheLostFool

What would you do?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Oppose the Oppressor!
    • Fall in Line!

For as long as there has been a recorded history of mankind, it seems there has always been oppression. Where those who feel they are in power or authority, ignorantly believe that because they feel they are either stronger or more intelligent they know better than everyone else. Whether on the larger scale of leaders controlling every aspect of peoples lives to the micro of groups or individuals taking away freedoms and rights to try to control and steer the direction of peoples lives. From controlling information, censoring ideas and beliefs, inducing propaganda to keeping people ignorant and misinformed. Or denying the ideas and opinions of those they don't like and label them wrong, stupid, evil, communist, ect. To controlling the economies and markets of the world to keep people poor and hungry. To denying civil liberties and rights that make people feel less about themselves, to break them down to be more controllable. There are many forms of oppression that one can run into and see just about everyday. And not all these forms of oppression have to come from governments or rich and powerful individuals, they can come from anyone with a bit of power or at least individuals that feel they have power.

So now the question is, in the face of oppression what do you do when you and others are being oppressed in a system where the oppressor has an overwhelming amount of control and power? Perhaps not all are aware that the oppression is even happening, but often that is just the case. Do you oppose the oppressor whether it be directly or subtly, or do you just fall in line and take orders by following the rules of the oppressor because you are either apathetic, scared, or comfortable enough? (And this is from the view point of a regular person, meaning just you as you are. Not say the view if you were a politician or some businessmen, unless in fact you are actual already something like that.) And then why would you take that stance?

In the face of oppression I myself would oppose it adamantly. Even though the worst might happen to me I would even go so far as to call out the oppressor to show my conviction. Whether I be locked away and further denied my liberties I would not falter. Because I believe an oppressor can only take away your words if you stop saying them, whether because you are afraid or just feel it's a hopeless situation. Then once I have proven my conviction and drive I would then begin to subtly look for others who might share the same stance to organize and better work against and combat the oppression. In a letter from Thomas Jefferson to James Madison he used the phrase "Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem" which more or less means "I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery" Now this term can be debated and interpreted many ways. And when he used it there it was to compare different systems of governance in regards to rebellions that were happening around that time. But to me it means if you want liberty you have to constantly fight for it and it doesn't come easy. But if one just wants easy peace, then you must forsake your liberty or just not care about it and you shall have a care free life because all your decisions will be made for you. lol I've overly simplified my stance to get the discussion started, but once other write their ideas I'll elaborate more.

I would say its entirely situational. So let me get some clarifications. For one, if their power is overwhelming as you say, then how could opposition do anything? Secondly, in what way would we be oppressed? Finally, would I have a satisfying and comfortable lifestyle in this oppression? Would life be better, the same, or worse?

But as my general answer, I would subtly oppose any oppression that did not favour me.

I would say its entirely situational. So let me get some clarifications. For one, if their power is overwhelming as you say, then how could opposition do anything? Secondly, in what way would we be oppressed? Finally, would I have a satisfying and comfortable lifestyle in this oppression? Would life be better, the same, or worse?

But as my general answer, I would subtly oppose any oppression that did not favour me.

Let's see,

Well it really depends on how strong the conviction of the opposition is to the oppressor I think because even in an authoritarian regime it can still be overthrown by an opposition. I mean of course such things definitely wouldn't be easy or quick, but the opposition could do anything realistically if organized, resistant and resilient. So in answer to the first question the opposition could do anything and as far as they are willing to go and struggle against the oppressor.

As for the second question could be any serious form of oppression. Censorship of ideas and beliefs, economic making all else live in poverty, or denying other civil liberties. Or if you want to the more extreme where everything is controlled.

The last question would be subjective to the one answering. Could be seen as fight and struggle to maintain freedoms and liberties, or live a comfortable but controlled life by doing nothing and falling in line. As for better or worse or the same, think of it realistically that no one can predict how things will ultimately turn out. Does this help?

Let's see,

Well it really depends on how strong the conviction of the opposition is to the oppressor I think because even in an authoritarian regime it can still be overthrown by an opposition. I mean of course such things definitely wouldn't be easy or quick, but the opposition could do anything realistically if organized, resistant and resilient. So in answer to the first question the opposition could do anything and as far as they are willing to go and struggle against the oppressor.

As for the second question could be any serious form of oppression. Censorship of ideas and beliefs, economic making all else live in poverty, or denying other civil liberties. Or if you want to the more extreme where everything is controlled.

The last question would be subjective to the one answering. Could be seen as fight and struggle to maintain freedoms and liberties, or live a comfortable but controlled life by doing nothing and falling in line. As for better or worse or the same, think of it realistically that no one can predict how things will ultimately turn out. Does this help?

Yes this does help clarify a bit. So then by following these guidelines then I would definately fight the oppressor. For the first point, you say that by trying then the opposition can do anything, so of course if there is a great chance of success then I would fight. For the second, I can safely assume that I would not be in that elite group and so I would not be benifited by this. So I would fight to stop myself from being oppressed. Finally, your last point is completely unhelpful and doesnt really answer my question. So all in all, fighting oppression works best

Yes this does help clarify a bit. So then by following these guidelines then I would definately fight the oppressor. For the first point, you say that by trying then the opposition can do anything, so of course if there is a great chance of success then I would fight. For the second, I can safely assume that I would not be in that elite group and so I would not be benifited by this. So I would fight to stop myself from being oppressed. Finally, your last point is completely unhelpful and doesnt really answer my question. So all in all, fighting oppression works best

Well I mean its coming from a realistic point of view, saying they can do anything doesn't mean that they can do any and everything they set out to do and succeed. Not that there is an elite group, when I wrote they can do anything I didn't mean that they would have unlimited resources, or intel, weapons, or anything to that effect, but that just as any normal human is able to do anything the opposition would be able to do anything, or at least try and attempt anything. No matter the situation or person everyone has the ability to attempt do every and anything. Now how they do it, with what help, or if they are even successful is completely another story. So there is no elite group, you have the ability to do anything you as in reality you have the ability to do anything you want. Thats not to say that others would allow you to do it or won't try to stop you.

And the chances of success aren't super great or anything, think of it realistically. If you are being oppressed by someone, government, organization, or official that has an overwhelming amount of control and power. Chances are it wouldn't be easy, and chances of failure would probably be higher than that of success. Or else then the oppressor wouldn't have such an overwhelming amount of control and power.

And for the last point if up to you to choose which point of view you'd want to take, A the one who either doesn't see or perhaps doesn't care about being oppressed or B knowing and seeing and feeling you're being oppressed. And as to whether things would get better after the oppression ends would be unknown, because there is always a chance that things could very well get worse and not better though there is always probably an equal chance that things would get better. But the question arises would you rather risk things getting worse, from them being pretty bad already, for the small chance that you can some how make it so much better without being oppressed. Think of a situation in modern times, which would have be similar to that colonies v england pre-revolutionary war. Or think Pre-Russian revolution, Soviet Union era, though in a modern, fictitious present day situation.

With the federal government: I will fall in line

With the state government: I will fall in line

With my boss who talks shit and makes me miserable: I will fall in line

Example, I got a speeding ticket the other day for doing 81 in a 65. Although I was not at fault technically, because the guy behind me was riding my ass. It is my duty as a driver to merge right when possible to allow the faster flow of traffic to maintain their current pace. So I get around this big rig, and on the other side a cop and sitting waiting. I explained this to him, he wrote up the ticket. Now I could try to fight him, but I think I would end up in jail. And I could fight the ticket, but I will most likely lose. Basically, the only person I can fight is someone who threatens me or my family, a normal citizen. The rest of the government is just puppets, like the president--in my mind they all work for a bigger corportion similar to Bilderberg (in other words our votes don't mean sh^$#).

• 1 month later...

kinda depends.

hm... well I live in America and from the day I was born I had to follow rules. Now these rules as I was a kid were meant to keep me safe, as I got older these rules were meant to take all of my families money.

So unless its really really bad, I'll fall in line until I see fighting them would be worth dieing for.