FFX HD for PS3 and PSVita

nemarious

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like to say that SE Producer Shinji Hashimoto has stated at the Taipei Game Show that this will be a remaster not a remake. The technical difference being a remake would imply new features whereas a remaster is just updated graphics.

I can't see anyone being that disappointed as I figured that this would be what would happen anyway but apparently the words 'remaster' and 'remake' have different technical meaning so there must have been some confusion somewhere. You learn something new every day I suppose.

@alexisonfires as far I know there is no confirmed release date for either iteration of the game. We'll probably learn more at either E3 or TGS if it's coming out this year. If we hear nothing at either of those events I would assume it'll be out next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't wait for this to come out and I'll be able to platinum it on either ps3 or vita. I still wish they'd remake 8 which has always been my favorite and 7 which would be the next in line. I suppose it would be because of the graphics difference and in 10 it was the first time they had voices put into a final fantasy game. So it would be a lot more work to do since they would have to upgrade the graphics and hire voice actors and anything else. It'll be a awesome when they finally do remake them though.

Square Enix’s curious reticence about remaking and remastering the much in demand Final Fantasy series continues, this time with the news that FFX fans will have to wait “a while longer.”

Square Enix’s lineariser-in-chief Toriyama touched upon the remake in a recent interview at the Taipei GDC (most of his other comments concerned Taiwan or his opinion of various events):

Let me take the opportunity to just ask you a few other things – first, how is the progress on the HD version of FFX?

Regarding the HD version, a variety of verification is required, so please wait a while longer.

Those hoping to experience the wonders of cloud saves in FFX will apparently have to wait a while longer.

The actual level of improvement the title will enjoy is still unclear – Toriyama previously said graphics would be “much better,” but it appears strictly to be intended as an HD remaster for the Vita and PS3 rather than anything more ambitious.

Square Enix’s curious reticence about remaking and remastering the much in demand Final Fantasy series continues, this time with the news that FFX fans will have to wait “a while longer.”

Square Enix’s lineariser-in-chief Toriyama touched upon the remake in a recent interview at the Taipei GDC (most of his other comments concerned Taiwan or his opinion of various events):

Let me take the opportunity to just ask you a few other things – first, how is the progress on the HD version of FFX?

Regarding the HD version, a variety of verification is required, so please wait a while longer.

Those hoping to experience the wonders of cloud saves in FFX will apparently have to wait a while longer.

The actual level of improvement the title will enjoy is still unclear – Toriyama previously said graphics would be “much better,” but it appears strictly to be intended as an HD remaster for the Vita and PS3 rather than anything more ambitious.

I'd imagine it'll be a fairly cheap cash-in like most of the other collections have been. That's not to say that is what I hope for, I'd love to play the game again in a proper redone fashion. What my cynical industry following brain tells me will happen though is there will be updated versions of most larger textures and character models with minor touch-ups to other areas.

The thing to remember with something as large as FFX (compared to other HD remakes like God Of War/MGS/Ratchet And Clank collections) is the amount of stuff that would need to be remade. Unlike the games mentioned above is that they generally have areas of recycled resources with the odd minor change so people don't notice. FFX though has so many different monsters and locales from the icy place to the beach area with Wakka et al (can't remember most of the names in the game lol, been too long) to the Guado city all have completely different looks.

The point being there will be more work on main areas like the character/enemy models because that's what you'll see a lot of in battles. The little things like grass textures will see little upgrades to bring them in line but less focus will be spent on them.

Additionally, do we know if they're redoing all the cutscenes or just upscaling them? That would be a lot more work if it's the former too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Am ambivalent to this project. On the one hand, can't fault people for being excited for the return of an old favorite. For myself, however, I think there's too many games out there I haven't already played for this to warrant a purchase. Good luck to Square-Enix though with sales, though.

Personally I love turning off the light and playing a game with a story. I did it with Kingdom Hearts, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, and of course all of the final fantasies. HD upgrade is what all the old favorites need. When i do get to play my old games they really don't look as visually pleasing as they use to X.x.