FFX HD for PS3 and PSVita

nemarious

This story may interest some of you:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1194253p1.html

For me, Final Fantasy X was the first Final Fantasy game I had bought then completed on my own. I had played bits of VII when I was younger but I didn't really remember it. I thought it was okay, not the best but it was certainly better than 10-2 that's for sure.

Anyway, as usual, if you have any thoughts, type 'em down here.

EDIT: I know the story's not really much to go on at the moment but I wouldn't mind having a remake on a handheld. If this was also on the 3DS for example I'd actually have a reason to play on it :/

EDIT2: Love reading the comments on IGN's FF pages. Most IGN users are pretty stupid anyway but the FF lovers on there make me laugh so hard :) I bet you can all tell which other FF game was mentioned immediately can't you. Oh dear.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT2: Love reading the comments on IGN's FF pages. Most IGN users are pretty stupid anyway but the FF lovers on there make me laugh so hard :) I bet you can all tell which other FF game was mentioned immediately can't you. Oh dear.

LoL i haven’t even look at the IGN FF page yet but im pretty sure they are talking about a remake for FF7...

I actually have a question about all these HD remakes. We were told by Sony that the PS3 doesn't have the power to emulate PS2 games in software. Yet we're seeing HD versions of these games running on this system. The architecture of the PS3 is completely different to the PS3, so its not a question of just swapping out textures, you'd have to reprogram the games from the ground up. At least, that's how I understand it, so I could be wrong.

Edit: Oh, and I might play FFX...if they just got rid of Tidus. God that laugh scene of his makes me want to kill myself. Check out Spoony's review of FFX.

http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/game-reviews/final-fantasy-x/

Edit: Oh, and I might play FFX...if they just got rid of Tidus. God that laugh scene of his makes me want to kill myself.

I think you should play it, I like FFx. In fact FFX has the best leveling system ive seen ever! Don’t judge a game by a guy’s laugh becuase you’ll miss out on a great game and i mean the story/music and gameplay. I would say one of my top FF also.

I wonder how much “remastering” would be For Final Fantasy X. But this makes me ask one question... why is FF 5-9 haven’t been remastered... which means FF 10 is just really easy to remake because of the graphics it have alrdy.

That is exactly it. It's quite easy to update the graphics between a PS2 game and a PS3 game particularly because it's largely just the resolution and textures you would need to update. I imagine the architecture would be pretty similar so there would be very little to reprogram. Compare this to the PS1 games where, really, they were mostly just flat drawing with focus drawing things added on top of them to make them look more lively. That's why, you'll notice this if you replay them, that for the majority of the time the camera is set on a fixed point whereas with 10 onwards you can change the camera angle yourself.

For the most part the PS1 games would be too costly to remake as they would have to make the entire game again rather than just upscaling a lot of the textures and stuff. Plus for it to comparable to the modern games in the series they would have to add VA which would be another layer of complexity. Someone once said that it would take longer to make than it took to make XIII with a team twice the size that worked on XIII so I doubt they will ever be remade. It has surprised me that they haven't released them all on PSN though. Last I checked you could get XIII and IX on there for around £10 each but I'm surprised VII isn't on there as it does - for reasons beyond me - seem to be the most popular.

LoL i haven’t even look at the IGN FF page yet but im pretty sure they are talking about a remake for FF7...

That's exactly right.

Don't get me wrong, FF7 did do a lot of good things. It introduced the Limit Break/Overdrive style things (although they do have roots in FF 6) into the genre that pretty much every J-RPG since has had in some form or another.

Story wise I found it to be quite convoluted and mismatched but that's a view that isn't shared by most people it would seem. I found the majority of the cast to be quite unlikeable, particularly Cloud, Barrett and Yufi who particularly got on my nerves.

Despite that, even I have to admit that Sephiroph is one of the best villains in a J-RPG, perhaps even video-games in general, to have ever been created and anybody that plays or has played VII will always remember the scene where he kills Aerith despite the rather tame nature of the scene. For a moment remembered as one of the 'most shocking' or 'violent' scenes there is no blood involved. Mostly because that was a taboo back in 1997 when the game is released. A taboo that has since manifested itself separately in sex as blood has now - largely - been accepted.

Overall one of the misconceptions that has always surprised me is how many people think that FF series is really popular. The DragonQuest franchise is the most popular, highest selling franchise of all times in Japan probably only matched by Pokemon. FF is third is this table and the Tales of... series has been fourth for a long time as far as I'm aware. It's just a common misconception that irritates me that's all.

I think you should play it, I like FFx. In fact FFX has the best leveling system ive seen ever! Don’t judge a game by a guy’s laugh becuase you’ll miss out on a great game and i mean the story/music and gameplay. I would say one of my top FF also.

I've played most FFs (2, 6, 7, 8, 10, 10-2, 12 and 13), although I didn't finish 13, and never really got into 9.

I'm not judging the game by the guy's laugh. I'm judging the game by its horrible storyline, stupid characters and completely boring mini-games. Just that the story would have made somewhat more sense and the characters a lot more bearable if Tidus had never existed.

10 in my top 3 favorites of the franchise and it's the one I've played the most and beat the most. Heck I played it so many times I got to where I know every nook and cranny like the back of my hand. I got my game time down to around 15 hours per playthrough. Sadly I loaned the game out a couple times and now it skips on the final scene a bit.. but hey if they release the PS3 HD version here, might as well grab it! Would look awesome on my 40' through HDMI for true HD. xD

Man, this really shot off over night didn't it...

I actually have a question about all these HD remakes. We were told by Sony that the PS3 doesn't have the power to emulate PS2 games in software. Yet we're seeing HD versions of these games running on this system. The architecture of the PS3 is completely different to the PS3, so its not a question of just swapping out textures, you'd have to reprogram the games from the ground up. At least, that's how I understand it, so I could be wrong.

The way I understand it, being somewhat of a programmer, is that for remaking/remastering a PS2 game to play on the PS3 the majority of the time will be on the graphics. The actual hardware architecture from the consoles is obviously very different so whenever the code calls for some specific hardware that code will obviously have to be changed. The best example I can think of is saving.

Back in the days of memory cards the game would, most likely, locate the memory card, then read it to see if there are any saves, present that information to the player to let them chose what to do then either cancel the whole thing if they change their mind or perform the saving operation. Updating that to the PS3, the actual saving operation will be mostly the same but they won't be looking for memory cards anymore as that would cause a problem. Things like that will have to change and there will probably be some syntax changes or initialization changes.

My point was that the code for walking from one scene to another for example or opening a door won't take as much reprogramming as it would to update a grass texture or improve lighting in one area etc because it's already there. I would imagine the fundamental programming between the consoles would be mostly the same but just with new stuff added.

I'm judging the game by its horrible storyline, stupid characters and completely boring mini-games. Just that the story would have made somewhat more sense and the characters a lot more bearable if Tidus had never existed.

Thought you were talking about FF7 then... haha not. All "joking" aside the person I found the most annoying from 10 was Wakka then Tidus. I thought Auron was badass and that Kimarhi guy and Lulu and Riku were kind of meh. Only Auron stood out for me as a decent character. A problem I think they'll have with the remake is the VA I actually quite liked the gentle yet stoic nature in the VA for Yuna which I think would be missed if we didn't use the same stuff. Then again look at Aaron and Maxi for Alphonse in FMA which, I guess, proves if the effort is put in it doesn't have to be bad to change VA's.

As for blitzball, as it was known, that was indeed boring. It took far to long to get anything done and was the only legendary weapon I couldn't be arsed to get and that includes wandering around and dodging lightning bolts to get Lulu's ffs. Whoever thought of those should be shot.

Don't worry, none of that bollocks in my game. The legendary weapons are - mostly - straightforward to get and are unmissable - you can always go back and get them. I can see one pissing people off but they should have been doing what is required to get it whilst playing the game anyway.

ok i just checked out the IGN site im surprise everyone is all flaming about remake of FF7,FF8 and FF10. I guess FF9(my fav) is still underrated. I mean no one mentioned about ff9 lol... how sad

FF9 is my favourite too (and I've played allllll of them). I have a theory that, for the most part, people tend to like the first FF they played as they don't tend to go back and play the ones that have already been released. The majority of the people that like VII have either played it first or have played the sprite based one before it and because it is now 3D with polygons and stuff they find it amazing regardless of the story. The same is true for Ocarina Of Time. The majority of people that find it amazing usually played the 2D ones first as they always say "the first time I rode out across Hyrule Field and saw the castle" which would obviously be something you'd love and have memories about if you'd never seen it in 3D.

Compare that to now where, I'd imagine, the majority of the community here were around with the PS1, Dreamcast etc as their first console they bought or wanted which was pretty much all 3D or at least 2.5D (ridiculous term by the way) so they won't be all that impressed if they went to play the original one now.

Iam dieing for the remake of FFX. it was the First Final Fantasy game i played and i enjoyed it so much that i would litraly play it every night till 2am.. ut was my fav game and my save had over 1500 hrs of gamplay..

Then i went and bought FFVII which didnt reallly impress me(MY OPINION !!) , i played ffvii for few days and then stoped and havnt played the game till date..

I hope square-enix doesnt change anything in the game or atleast remove anything in the game,,

I have a theory that, for the most part, people tend to like the first FF they played as they don't tend to go back and play the ones that have already been released.

Iam dieing for the remake of FFX. it was the First Final Fantasy game i played and i enjoyed it so much that i would litraly play it every night till 2am.. ut was my fav game and my save had over 1500 hrs of gamplay..

Then i went and bought FFVII which didnt reallly impress me(MY OPINION !!) , i played ffvii for few days and then stoped and havnt played the game till date..

I hope square-enix doesnt change anything in the game or atleast remove anything in the game,,

Thank you very much JinqqPel for proving my point.

FFX was the first I owned. FF7 was the first one I heard of and the first one I saw someone else play. While FF4 became my favorite despite being the played after FFX, FF8, FF12, and FF9.

Yeah, it's not a hard and fast rule. I liked FF4. The emotional connection between Cecil and Rosa comes across really well considering the original has no voice acting.

Technically, the first one I played was FF7 but I was like 10 and had no real memories of playing it. FFX was the first I actually went out and bought by myself.

I have played all of the main series and these are my thoughts (based on original releases):

FFI - Not as good compared to similar RPGs of the time. Phantasy Star had better characters. Both the original DragonQuest and FF had non-named characters.

FFII - The system of stat building was certainly more interesting making it better than the first game but it still had non-named characters making it a bit rubbish.

FFIII - At least it had named characters for the first time in the series which was a plus but the story wasn't as well developed and the end boss was pretty rubbish. My highlight was killing Goldor. Such a pathetic boss. There was very little in the way of sidequests. The DS remake is a better version purely for graphics.

FFIV - As you may have guessed I rate four quite highly. It is certainly one of the bests of the series in my opinion and the DS version's increased difficulty makes it a must have for ardent fans who haven't played it yet.

FFV - Five is kind of meh. The end boss is a tree ffs. Called Exdeath... I think that speaks for itself.

FFVI - Another one of the highlights for me. Not quite as good as four because the character's aren't as good in my opinion but Kefka is the best boss in the series bar Sephiroph. Some argue that Kefka is better because he is truly insane over Sephiroph's more apathetic rage but I still prefer Sephiroph.

FFVII - Not the be all and end all in my opinion. The character's are actually pretty bland and generic although I'm sure, despite that, everyone will remember a certain scene and a certain villain from the game. I liked the more steampunk nature of the world which somewhat developed themes from VI. Also, some of the best music in a game of the time, particularly the battle theme which remains one of the most covered songs on YouTube. Materia system was interesting.

FFVIII - I never really got on with VIII. I will admit this is the only game I have never fully completed. After the end of the main story I have never touched it again. The battle system was certainly interesting but not very well thought out. I thought, other than perhaps Squall and Zell (purely for his love of hotdogs) the characters were pretty ordinary. Seifer had interesting character design (looks wise) at least.

FFIX - Nine is probably my favourite game in the series. I found the Zidane and Garnet's relationship to be similar to Aladdin with the sort of forbidden fruit nature of it, and that end scene when you think Zidane is dead but then shows up is lovely. I also liked the nature of learning skills from keeping accessories equipped, a feature which was replicated in Lost Odyssey. I've also been experimenting with the idea myself in RPG Maker but think I'll leave it out for now. I love the end song "Melodies Of Life". The trance system was a step backward from the Limit Breaks in FF7. The active time event system was another little feature that allowed you to view more backstory of the characters without being bogged down in the 10-15 minute conversations of FF7.

FFX - Ten was a nice game but not the best in the series. Only Auron stands out as a good character in my opinion with Waka being the Vanille of the game and the sterotypically goth nature of Lulu as the black mage I found grating. The battle system at least was interesting as it gave the impression that you were actually all there as a group rather than having a party of 7/8 people and only ever using 3. Blitzball was rubbish. The VA for Yuna I liked, and the relationship between her and Tidus was one of the better in the series but still doesn't rival Cecil and Rosa.

FFXII - Twelve's License Board system was interesting but the combat was a bit too unreliable. How many time's would the healer get stuck behind an enemy and then not be able to get in range to heal another ally making combat frustrating. The increase in the amount of summons available added variety but they became fairly redundant in the latter part of the game. For some reason Balthier's character design and looks - particularly the face - reminded me of Spike from Buffy...

FFXIII - Trying to find a good point about 13 is hard for me, they essentially presented the skeleton of 13 after the soul of the series had been ripped out. A highlight in any RPG for me is always exploring around new towns which is why I spend extra time on them when I make them myself. Vanille's VA is worthy of defecation and the idea of turning Shiva into a motorcycle disgusts me. It does bring back Alexander as a summon which is nice but unfortunately he is given to Hope who's name is ironic as he spends almost the entire game being the most emo turd ever to have existed. The passion with which I despise him surprises even myself.

So my highlights are 4, 6 and 9 with special mention for 10. Everything else is average in my opinion with some even less than that.

I'm very excited to see the HD version of FFX. I mean FFx in ps2 alone juiced the best graphics out of it. And it seems PS3 hasn't reached its full potential yet in terms of graphics so FFX will at this point will look good. I used to call every possible friends and even strangers to make them see the CG in ps2. Imagine that in ps2. people already know that FFx has a heart breaking story but many will buy bcoz of its graphics. Hope people just dont watch videos of it in ign or etc and be content. People who haven't played deserve a chance to play this masterpiece game.

---------- Post added at 05:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 AM ----------

Dude blitzball dnt suck. If u play it till the end u'll enjoy it man. I reached a point where no one cud beat me and i could score from my goal itself. Only at that point it got a bit boring.

But so many HD versions of PS2. Even DMC all 3 parts are coming. But FF series has more scope due to its fan base in Japan. Square enix knows that the people in Japan will buy FF games like its for free.

Wud like to be see the HD version of FF12 bcoz i loved the hours of gameplay it offered and the no of side missions. Cant wait to spend 15 hrs without a rest to defeat YIAZMAT and see my sweat drop like rain while fighting OMEGA MARK 13 and that with my level being at 100!! Story sucked in FF12 but the gameplay and bosses kept this game alive. But no matter what they must not I REPEAT MUST NOT make a HD version FF X-2. I'll seriously sue them if they do coz that game is a blasphemy for the FF series.

I think FF 12 approach to the fight was interesting coz standing around in a place in FFX even while fighting against SIN doesn't make sense. And it dnt make it easier when the glass shatters all of a sudden and almost giving us a heart attack. Lol. And dont deny it but you held ur breath whenever u were walking in Calm Lands and just praying for the fight to be avoided.

Better get used to FF12 and 13 style of gameplay coz its more realistic and FF13 was saved due to that itself so square enix will stick to it.

For FF Versus 13 the fighting system will as like the one in CRISIS CORE in the psp. oh ya.. would like that remake as well. Only bcoz Cloud is over rated and the reason he's alive is bcoz the main character Zack saved his life and the buster sword originally belonged to him as well. Would like people to know who Cloud respected and who is looked up to.

But no matter what they must not I REPEAT MUST NOT make a HD version FF X-2. I'll seriously sue them if they do coz that game is a blasphemy for the FF series.

Compared to 12 and 13... X-2 was actually EPIC.

It also had, if you ignore the dresssphere aspect, the best battle system of the entire franchise.

FFIX - Nine is probably my favourite game in the series. I found the Zidane and Garnet's relationship to be similar to Aladdin with the sort of forbidden fruit nature of it, and that end scene when you think Zidane is dead but then shows up is lovely. I also liked the nature of learning skills from keeping accessories equipped, a feature which was replicated in Lost Odyssey. I've also been experimenting with the idea myself in RPG Maker but think I'll leave it out for now. I love the end song "Melodies Of Life". The trance system was a step backward from the Limit Breaks in FF7. The active time event system was another little feature that allowed you to view more backstory of the characters without being bogged down in the 10-15 minute conversations of FF7.

Wow man it's funny how someone here see things like i do for Final Fantasy 9. Lol i liked Aladdin mainly because of that reason. (It being like FF9 and all.)

Dude blitzball dnt suck. If u play it till the end u'll enjoy it man. I reached a point where no one cud beat me and i could score from my goal itself. Only at that point it got a bit boring.

I think FF 12 approach to the fight was interesting coz standing around in a place in FFX even while fighting against SIN doesn't make sense. And it dnt make it easier when the glass shatters all of a sudden and almost giving us a heart attack. Lol. And dont deny it but you held ur breath whenever u were walking in Calm Lands and just praying for the fight to be avoided.

Better get used to FF12 and 13 style of gameplay coz its more realistic and FF13 was saved due to that itself so square enix will stick to it.

Firstly, I found Blitzball to be boring at the beginning of the game and didn't stick with it because of that. When the story is more interesting why would I play I minigame I don't like to get a legendary weapon for a character I don't like. I have played it all the way to the end to get said weapon but only because I'm a perfectionist. It is almost universally accepted that Blitzball was a poor minigame.

As for the gameplay from 12 - which is almost nothing like 13 - I didn't have a problem with it as such but the execution was poor. 13 is basically turn based combat just sprayed with glitter so it doesn't look like it. You still have to input commands and wait for them to be executed but because the characters don't stand still until they attack people think it isn't.

I have no problem with 'realistic' combat having played plenty of action RPGs but they go all the way out with the action side of it. They don't do a halfway house which is what the combat in both 12 and 13 struggled with.