Enough with the button mashing!

Nero D. Ace

I don't know about the rest of you guys but i am personally sick of games that are filled to the brim with gameplay that you can rush through simply by mass-spamming the X button all the time.

What the hell are the rest of the buttons for then!?

Even Birth By Sleep, which i enjoyed a lot was slightly ruined by the fact that in Beginner Mode, anyone could go through the game start to end simply by killing all enemies down with the X button and just occasionally using the Commands when surrounded by more than 3.

Even in Proud Mode, after reaching a certain level, it really pissed me off cuz i had spent so much time customizing my Deck and whenever i ran into a group of Unversed, i could usually dispatch of them even before my Time Splicer was fully charged.

Whatever happened to all those games in which enemies did more than just standing around waiting for you knock their lights out while they stood there doing nothing but watch?

Games like Double Dragon II, where you had to know when to pull your punches and separate the enemy from the crowd and take em on one at a time.

Or God Hand, where if you so much as tried to button mash, even on Easy mode, you'd be dead faster that you could say "I summon out the powers of the God Hand!"

And now this disease has left the action games and even affected the Strategy-type games.

I went over to my friend's house the other day and had taken a disc of FF-XIII.i finally understood why people have been ranting about it all this time.

THIS GAME IS A BUTTON MASHER!

If you ever even tried doing something like that in FF-VII or VIII, your party's HP would go to zero in an instant.

*sigh* Lets just hope they've done a better job with XIII-2 otherwise we can say goodbye to the era of the pure RPG.

i personally don't mind the button mashing, since i suck at most complicated gameplays anyway, but i totally agree that nowadays EVERY game consists of button mashing the crap out of x to finish it. i'm pretty sure on my ps3 controller the x button is starting to lock up because of over use.

mine you my ps2 controller only has a slight rattle in it which i noticed about 5 years back and i do the same thing to it. talk about built to last!

I like my RPG's to be turn-based but add something extra to them. A great example of this is the Judgment Ring system within Shadow Hearts. Now that battle system was fucking excellent.

Now days all games come down to hitting one button over and over again no matter what. Even action games like Dynasty Warriors is all about tapping one button to destroy hundreds of enemies with the occasional 'Musou' attack. Final Fantasy XIII was just hitting x for 'auto-battle' on every single battle.

Final Fantasy XII (12) didn't even require any button mashing at all. You setup gambits then never even input any commands to beat any enemies including the bosses. I beat the final boss without even having the controller in my hands.