Football Discussion Thread

Ronin

'tis my role in life to create this wonderful thread, but I wonder if it will get the same kind of coverage for it's 3rd incarnation.

Anyway, this thread is for discussing all things Football related (as in the worldwide usage of the word, not the American one).

So let's start with the Champions League tonight, Celtic beating Milan was a turn up for the books, wouldn't you say?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wouldn't survive in the English Premier League. Wishful thinking.

They signed his brother at Milan as well, so its highly unlikely he will be leaving anytime soon.

He will move at around the age of 30, like most star players.

-------------------------------------------------------------

On a different question, did anyone see the shortlist for the Fifa World Player Of The Year. It was a joke if you ask me.

FIFA World Player of the Year nominations:

Gianluigi Buffon (ITA)

Fabio Cannavaro (ITA)

Petr Cech (CZE)

Cristiano Ronaldo (POR)

Deco (POR)

Didier Drogba (IVO)

Michael Essien (GHA)

Samuel Eto'o (CAM)

Gennaro Gattuso (ITA)

Steven Gerrard (ENG)

Thierry Henry (FRA)

Juninho (BRA)

Kaká (BRA)

Miroslav Klose (GER)

Philipp Lahm (GER)

Frank Lampard (ENG)

Rafael Márquez (MEX)

Lionel Messi (ARG)

Alessandro Nesta (ITA)

Andrea Pirlo (ITA)

Franck Ribéry (FRA)

Juan Román Riquelme (ARG)

Ronaldinho (BRA)

Wayne Rooney (ENG)

John Terry (ENG)

Carlos Tévez (ARG)

Lilian Thuram (FRA)

Fernando Torres (SPA)

Ruud van Nistelrooy (HOL)

Patrick Vieira (FRA)

Klose, Viera(was out for half the season). Eto'o was out for most of the season). Riquelme (got transfered and couldnt keep first team duties). Cannavaro had a shocking year with Real Madrid Add Lillian Thuram and Buffon for other selections.

Where is David Villa , Zlatan Ibrahimvich, Totti, Fabregas and Luca Toni who all had brilliant seasons for there clubs.

Kaka won it for those who are interested. With that shortlist, it was obvious he was going to win.

Oh and Dida got 2 match ban for his stupidity.

So if I understand this correctly, this thread is for what the United States call "Soccer" correct? xD I thought it was called Futbol or whatever elsewhere. xD Though I was really hoping to be able to talk about football as in the NFL (National Football League). xD Oh well. Hehe.

That list sucks, if you ask me, I'm with ya on the players you mentioned, they all had excellent seasons for their respective teams.

Klose, Viera(was out for half the season). Eto'o was out for most of the season). Riquelme (got transfered and couldnt keep first team duties). Cannavaro had a shocking year with Real Madrid Add Lillian Thuram and Buffon for other selections.

Where is David Villa , Zlatan Ibrahimvich, Totti, Fabregas and Luca Toni who all had brilliant seasons for there clubs.

Kaka won it for those who are interested. With that shortlist, it was obvious he was going to win.

From that list, though, I would have given it to Christiano Ronaldo, even though I hate the little crybaby :P, he was carrying MU on his back most of the season. But I guess Kaka took it cause they won the CL :\

What's this about Dida?

Oh and Dida got 2 match ban for his stupidity.

That list sucks, if you ask me, I'm with ya on the players you mentioned, they all had excellent seasons for their respective teams.

From that list, though, I would have given it to Christiano Ronaldo, even though I hate the little crybaby :P, he was carrying MU on his back most of the season. But I guess Kaka took it cause they won the CL :\

What's this about Dida?

For what they provide to there team, Kaka in my opinion is the better player and personally, Totti to me, is the best and most consistent player.

Ronaldo's form in the premiership is great, but unlike Kaka/Totti, he's not very good in the CL. I also think Kaka would do way better in the premiership then Shevchenko fared. Kaka is way to fast and it seems the premiership leaves more open spaces to run then you would find in Serie A.

NRO, do you think he would be able to handle the physicality in the EPL?

He may fall under the omen of 'Brazilians never go well in England'

He'll get knocked around I'm sure, though in comparison to Shevchenko, Kaka is on another level. He has great balance, control, speed and when he does get knocked he's usually right back up with the ball at his feet.

Though anyone from Serie A will have a hard time, and vice-versa.

I dunno, whenever they've played England, he's one of the few players who actually seems up for a physical contest.

International level is totally different from club level. Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher (or whoever England decides to call) together is almost impossible to take down, suicide even to try coming through the middle, which is how Brazil love to play.

Generally England, Italy & Germany are very hard teams to score on.