Member Tournaments

Anooxy

If you say, "Which one is better, Bill or Frank? Write your vote down on a slip of paper and put it in my hat," it's a popularity contest between those two because there are no guidelines about why you should vote for someone--just "who do you like better?"

If you say, "Who has the best hair/is the best dresser/curses the most, Frank or Bill? Write your vote down on a slip of paper and put it in this jar," it's the forum superlatives, which already exist.

I said it from the beginning.

"[...]

Technically, we have forum superlatives already."

Is that not clear enough?

I didn't really understand what Sasukex was asking/saying, so I continued to explain until I saw some sign that he understood.

"[...]

If you say, 'Who has the best hair/is the best dresser/curses the most, Frank or Bill? Write your vote down on a slip of paper and put it in this jar,' it's the forum superlatives, which already exist."

Is that not clear enough?

And I said it once more, because he said he still didn't understand what I was saying.

"What you are requesting already exists.

That is what I am saying."

And apparently that's the clearest, even though I said it twice before?

Keep in mind that not everyone is as literate as you are, and not everyone has the pacience to read and write meaningless posts

She didn't say anything confusing, and even if she did, there's always a dictionary. I apologize if you are unable to use one. Patience? Damn, I must have forgot that if a post is longer than fifty words, it's incomprehensible and must be meaningless.

She didn't say anything confusing, and even if she did, there's always a dictionary. I apologize if you are unable to use one. Patience? Damn, I must have forgot that if a post is longer than fifty words, it's incomprehensible and must be meaningless.

Are you american? Seriously, are you?

Well, I'm not. Nor british, nor any other nationality whose main language is english. So yes, it can be confusing. I apologise for not dedicating my life to using expansive and/or words that you need to check a dictionary for to understand. And yes, a post can be pretty pointless if you could either just say yes or not then a small simple explanation of the why, don't you think? I guess not.

I'm sorry for being "rude" to you, EO. There, that what you wanted, Milkjob? That was really my point. Sorry EO, seriously. Verbal-arguments are definately not my strong point. And I guess I have to apologise to The Incredible Hulk here for "saving the day".

Stick to what matters? My first three posts were on-topic. My answers were straight-forward. None of my first three posts have any flourishes or airs.

But apparently they're pointless because I had provided explanation? Do you not like explanations? Is it better for things to happen and you remain oblivious to why it happened? I try not to have an "I know better than you; don't question me" attitude. I don't mind explicating what I know.

The fora I participate in are generally comprised of adults--for the most part they do their own research and then ask for assistance if they can't find the answer themselves. Is it wrong that I expect my own peers to act the same, to be willing to do a little work and possibly expand their minds?

I'm not expecting that everyone has the same affection I have for words, but just a willingness to expand their vocabulary a little--most adults I'm around have a broad vocabulary to draw upon, but maybe they're all "scholars".

Yes, I realise that not everyone's primary language is English. Several of the same fora I mentioned earlier are comprised of many people who did not learn English first. However, most of them usually don't get upset when they don't understand something and tell people to stop "smartin' up"--they ask for clarification. Many of them even speak English just as well as a native English speaker, so while there is some leeway in terms of "English isn't my first language", there are many people who can and did become adept at it. Excuses can only go so far.

I hope to be a linguist in the AF--I can't imagine how hard it would be to learn a language if I just slammed the books shut every time I didn't understand something and ignored it rather than putting forth some effort. When I took the DLAB, it was on a made-up language. Can you imagine taking a test on a made-up language that you've never seen before without any notes about how it works? It's easy to just be like, "Uh, I don't want to take it--sounds too difficult." But goodness, have a little pride in yourself--don't just shy away from a challenge just because you think you'll be devoting your life to words by picking up a dictionary or asking for clarification.

I realise that I may be writing at a level that some people cannot read at, or that I may be wordy (even though I think my first three posts were fairly terse for me--but I've definitely crossed the twenty word threshold by now). However, I'm more used to people, again, asking for elucidation if they don't understand rather than throwing a conniption. And really, I have no issue if you don't even read my posts if you don't want to understand them. Just block me if you think I'm little more than a bringer of useless posts.

My English teacher always said to "write with a dictionary, read with a pencil", but when he saw several of his students (this is an AP class, mind you) were unwilling to look up words they never saw before and couldn't figure out the meaning from context, he mused that perhaps he should change it to "write with a dictionary, read with a pencil and dictionary."

Is your apology meant to be sincere? You're separating yourself from your words if you put it in quotations. I'm more irritated by anti-US sentiments than I am about any negativity people feel for my posts.

Question:

What forum do you have that puts 2 members into a POPULARITY CONTEST with poll voting?

Answer:

If you say, "Which one is better, Bill or Frank? Write your vote down on a slip of paper and put it in my hat," it's a popularity contest between those two because there are no guidelines about why you should vote for someone--just "who do you like better?"

If you say, "Who has the best hair/is the best dresser/curses the most, Frank or Bill? Write your vote down on a slip of paper and put it in this jar," it's the forum superlatives, which already exist.

Sorry, but do you know what I expected to get as an answer when I asked this? A DAMN LINK. ISN'T THAT QUESTION CLEAR ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND?

Oh Mujklob, stop defending, should I get a dictionary to find the link of that forum?

"Sorry, but do you know what I expected to get as an answer when I asked this? A DAMN LINK. ISN'T THAT QUESTION CLEAR ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND?"

I didn't understand what you were asking because you were typing in caps and it changed how I read it--if you saw that I answered incorrectly, you could have clarified or asked again. "No, no. I was asking for a link. Where have you seen this before?" I thought you were being defensive about me calling your idea a popularity contest, since you were typing in caps at me, like you didn't think it was a popularity contest or something.

Most fora I go to don't partake in something as blatant as that.

Why would you want a link to a forum that does that anyway? What does it have to do with your topic? What did I say that made you think that I saw it at another forum?

And you did say that you saw this at other fora (which is possibly the reason why you brought it up), so why would I provide you with even more links? You can't possibly need more if you already have proof that it exists elsewhere.