Haibane Renmei

I just started reading Haibane Renmei, but I'm realizing that this process may be a bit more complicated than I inititally thought. I have seen imagery from this series for such a long time at this point, dating back to really old imageboard times, that I assumed it was more popular. I've always been drawn in by the blurry, sepia tone...it's so melancholy & unique! As it turns out, it's fairly niche and even someone as experienced as me got tripped up while figuring out where to start.

I try to read mange first whenever possible before watching an anime, but upon receiving the manga from the library (yes, I still use those) I read the back of the book..."anime manga?" This series is from the early 2000's, with the manga being published in the US during 2006. This is still well within the years where "animanga" was a phrase, as well as those bizarre releases where they would use stills from the anime to sort of create a manga in reverse. That's what I think the US release of the manga is. It's all in color too. I had assumed that this book would consist of the original doujin or perhaps the expanded re-write. Those are available within the top 2 Google results from scanlation websites, but I had hoped to read it in physical format. What I got was a janky anime frankenstein (making no comments as to the quality of the story, haven't read it yet). In my defense, when I requested this from the library its name in the catalogue was simply "Haibane Renmei." It was a shot in the dark, which is sometimes part of the fun.

Thus, I ask you: have you watched Haibane Renmei? Read the "anime manga"? Is it worth my time? Should I watch the anime then read it to compare? Or just read the scanlated source material, then watch the show (skip the animanga version)? There are bound to be some old heads here who remember Haibane & have an opinion on watch/read order for a newbie.

h5r5PiN0XA4.jpgqvtpuqE8Yfv.jpg

Edited by Zemekis
Put both images on the bottom to shorten post
  • Like 1

I have a general appreciation for ABe's works and distinct style, and this is no exception. I've only seen the anime but I enjoyed it. My understanding is that only 2 chapters of the manga were released before the anime was announced and he stopped working on it, so it just covers the first few episodes.

Edited by Arisien