Fall 2023 Anime Season

Koby

🎃 Fall Anime 2023 🍂

AniChart | MAL Chart | AniDB Chart

Finally narrowed down my listing somewhat after taking a more in-depth look into PVs, source material, the people behind the series, etc.

Many of them I'm behind on past seasons for lmao.

Sequels:

• Dead Mount Death Play S1P2 (still need to watch S1P1)
  • Dr. Stone S3P2 (still need to watch S3P1)
  • Goblin Slayer S2
  • The Ancient Magus' Bride S2P2 (still need to watch S2P1)
  • The Faraway Paladin S2 (still need to watch S1)
  • The Rising of the Shield Hero S3 (still need to watch S2)

New Series Potentially Watching:

• Firefighter Daigo: Rescuer in Orange
  • Frieren: Beyond Journey's End
  • KamiErabi GOD.app
  • Shangri-La Frontier
  • SHY
  • The Apothecary Diaries
  • The Kingdoms of Ruin

• Koby pinned this topic
1 hour ago, warriorpirate said:

Oooh, I didn't know Goblin Slayer S2 was coming this season! 😆

I hope they do a better job with Shield Hero this season... season 2 was a bit of a drag. 

I hear the Shield Hero S2 was the low point of the source material and people who read it seem to think S3 of the anime will be much better. I've had some tell me to skip watching S2 and jump straight into S3, but I'm not going to do that lmao.

20 hours ago, Koby said:

I hear the Shield Hero S2 was the low point of the source material and people who read it seem to think S3 of the anime will be much better. I've had some tell me to skip watching S2 and jump straight into S3, but I'm not going to do that lmao.

Ah yes.... that's what I heard as well once I was halfway through season 2.... but I would never recommend skipping... Binging is definitely the better option though... the story will progress at a faster pace! 🤣

• 4 weeks later...

Two episodes in and SHY just hasn't drawn me in. The animation is average, the characters are just boring, and the story is meh. First drop of the season.

Going to give Frieren one more episode to grab me, but that too is currently, after 5 meh/boring episodes, is looking like I'll be dropping it as well.

That said, two episodes into Shangri-La Frontier and it's been surprisingly nice. Better than I expected it to be for sure based on early impressions. Looking forward to the next episode.

Kingdoms of Ruin I'm unsure on. There were things I liked and disliked about the first episode. I fear it's going to drop off, but for now I'm interested in giving it a chance and thus going to see how I feel about it after a couple more episodes.

Firefighter Daigo - Rescuer in Orange after three episodes I thought I was going to drop it, but the 4th episode saved it for me and I'm now looking forward to the next episode. Lets see if the positives will continue to shine going forward.

Dead Mount Death Play I binged the first half of the season a few weeks back and while I did complete it, I didn't like it enough to continue on, so decided to not watch the second part.

Goblin Slayer S2 is of course here to stay. I enjoy the show. It's not fantastic, there are certainly some parts about it that aren't highlights... but the characters stand out and the story holds it own enough. The grittiness and darkness of the series when it gets to those depths is always welcome.

Jujutsu Kaisen S2, four episodes in and thus far it's mostly been a prequel to the prequel movie. Still that bit was better than a large part of S1... I just hope it jumps back to the present soon.

KamiErabi GOD.app ... I'm enjoying it. I just hope they don't keep reviving characters after that first one. The coloration is refreshing. Definitely one of the highlights of the season for me.

Enjoying Shield Hero S3, but hey I'm only 1 episode into it and well I enjoyed S2 when most people seemingly didn't. Maybe it's the difference between binging it and having watched it weekly, who knows.

Still haven't started Rurouni Kenshin 2023, Misfit of Demon King Academy S2, Dr. Stone S3, or Ancient Magus' Bride S2. But I might say something about them once I do.

Pluto hits Netflix this Wednesday, dunno if I'm going to jump into it right away though... Probably not.

I actually haven't started any of this season's anime yet, except for Ron Kamonohashi... I'm a fan of the manga so I'm really enjoying it.

I'll definitely be watching The Eminence in Shadow season 2, I really enjoyed the first season. Same for Spy x Family season 2... manga fan again. 😅

@Koby I wasn't sure if I should go for SHY and Shangri-La Frontier... guess I'll try the latter first! 😉

37 minutes ago, warriorpirate said:

I actually haven't started any of this season's anime yet, except for Ron Kamonohashi... I'm a fan of the manga so I'm really enjoying it.

I'll definitely be watching The Eminence in Shadow season 2, I really enjoyed the first season. Same for Spy x Family season 2... manga fan again. 😅

@Koby I wasn't sure if I should go for SHY and Shangri-La Frontier... guess I'll try the latter first! 😉

Shangri-La Frontier stands out because it actually seems like a serious game-focused rpg anime opposed to the pile of the usual memery of the genre such as Bofuri.

19 hours ago, Koby said:

Shangri-La Frontier stands out because it actually seems like a serious game-focused rpg anime opposed to the pile of the usual memery of the genre such as Bofuri.

Aha... good to know... kinda the reason why I like Eminence in Shadow... it's a very different take on isekai.

Also, I never liked Bofuri, dropped it super early.

Btw, has anyone seen Netflix's Good Night World?

32 minutes ago, warriorpirate said:

Aha... good to know... kinda the reason why I like Eminence in Shadow... it's a very different take on isekai.

Also, I never liked Bofuri, dropped it super early.

I barely made it through Bofuri Season 1, and for some reason opted to give Season 2 a chance, but ended up dropping it.

Good Night World is on my list to watch but I haven't done so yet.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 8:46 PM, warriorpirate said:

7 episodes into it now and while I plan to finish it now that I'm this far into it, I wish I dropped it several episodes ago.

It starts out kind of meh and just goes downhill from there. Doesn't really do anything to stand out amongst the dozens of "VR video game anime" out there and outside of the game world... absolutely all the characters are terrible although that is by design rather than accident... but it certainly kills it for me.

21 hours ago, Koby said:

7 episodes into it now and while I plan to finish it now that I'm this far into it, I wish I dropped it several episodes ago.

It starts out kind of meh and just goes downhill from there. Doesn't really do anything to stand out amongst the dozens of "VR video game anime" out there and outside of the game world... absolutely all the characters are terrible although that is by design rather than accident... but it certainly kills it for me.

Haha... I binged it about 2 days ago too... it was ok... I would have liked Netflix to have the "skip 10 seconds" button! 

• Koby unpinned this topic