Final Fantasy VII Remake Being Developed as a PS4 & PS5 Title with Future Entries Released on a Quicker Basis

Koby

We don't know how many games the Final Fantasy VII Remake will be split across, but the title's producer has said that those future entries will have a quicker development time than the experience that kicks things off in March 2020.

wZLgFSY.png

At E3 2019, producer Yoshinori Kitase took to Twitter to say: "While the development team finish the first game in the project, we are continuing to plan and outline the overall volume of content for the second. Due to the work already done on the first game we anticipate development of the second game to be more efficient. We have our own internal schedule and plan, but for now we’d like to focus our information on the first game in the project."

It's definitely good news for fans, who have been waiting for this initial game since its announcement all the way back at E3 2015. It appears that the work done on Midgard will be used as a sort of basis for what comes afterwards, as character models and the battle system will already be complete.

Is Final Fantasy VII Remake going to end up on the PS5 as well as the PS4? We certainly wouldn't bet against it. In fact, we'd probably put money on it getting a PS5 version when the console launches, supposedly in late 2020. But Square Enix isn't quite ready to unveil its plans for next-gen just yet, as you'd expect.

It is, however, willing to say that Final Fantasy VII Remake is being developed as a cross-gen title. Speaking to Game Informer, Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said: "I believe that our teams have made it so that the game will support both the next generation and the current generation of consoles. I believe it is being developed so that it is going to be playable on both."

In other words, the developer is future proofing. We already know that Final Fantasy VII Remake is going to be split into multiple games, and by the time the second chapter comes out, the PS4 will be a last-gen machine. There's obviously no way that Square Enix is just going to ignore the PS5 once it's here, so it makes total sense for the company to craft a game that can stretch into the next generation.

Let's hope it's good enough to buy twice, eh?  Are you pleased with this news? Predict how many years we'll be waiting until this whole thing is complete in the comments below.

• Like 1

7 Parts. Because Final Fantasy 7. 😑

Again seriously please don't let this actually be true. 😒

Buy it twice? lolno. I'm buying it once. If Part 1 re-releases on the PS5 I'll just accept my PS4 version. Especially since PS5 is going to have backwards compatibility. (at least with PS4 games anyway) So, for me anyway, there's absolutely no reason to buy Part 1 twice.

As for it being on PS5... no I'm not surprised honestly. At all. Somewhat expected it. This and half of next year are the last years for PS4 with PS5 confirmed for a late 2020 release. Of course they are going to put it on a next-gen console. It would be stupid not to. They took too long to make Part 1 alone for it to be all on the PS4.

At least I know I'll need a PS5 now (I already kind of did but this makes final confirmation) so RIP my bank account. 😭

This really changes nothing for me. Looking forward to Part 1 still. 😍

• 2 months later...