Ys IX: Monstrum Nox PS4 Game Slated for Fall Japanese Release

Koby

The official Twitter account for game developer Nihon Falcom revealed on Monday that Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, the latest entry in its Ys role-playing game series, will release in Japan this fall on the PlayStation 4. The post also revealed a new piece of artwork for the game.

o1XQ5d4.jpg

The game's story takes place in Baldeuk, northeast of Esteria in the Gria Eldlingen region. A new adventure will unfold in this "prison city" and will revolve around the mystery regarding "Monstrum," people who hold supernatural powers. (Note: Location name romanizations are not official.)

The series' familiar action role-playing game mechanics, such as free movement and jumping, and battles against giant bosses, will return for the game. Players will be able to use the "supernatural action" abilities of various Monstrum to explore levels. Players will also be able to conduct "Guild Management" in the prison city.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Tanis said:

Looks like a REALLY different direction, but I hope it works out.

I've yet to play a BAD Ys game, disappointing/mediocre, but not a 'bad' one.

Astonishing to admit, but I've actually never played a Ys game although they seem to be something I'd enjoy if I ever got around to one. I still have plenty of games on my backlog though so still going to be a while before I jump into one. Any specific one you'd recommend? Is it a franchise you'd be lost in you jumped into a certain game or are they all fairly stand alone?

They're, far as I can recall, mostly 'stand alone, but you get some jokes/references if you've played the previous titles beforehand'.
-While there is a 'main MC', and story-line, you can usually play them without being totally lost. Amnesia FTW?

I'd say the newest game, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, is a great way to get into the series.

It's, for a Vita game that ended up on PS4/Switch, PRETTY and plays pretty good with a nifty base mechanic.

Ys Origins is a great starting point, though I do have a soft spot for Ys: Memories of Celceta and the Ys I & II Complete.

There's also two, fairly decent, anime series that cover the first two games....and, yes, I kind of made this long.

TL;DR?
Ys8 is new, pretty, modern.
Ys Celceta is a favorite of mine.
Ys 1/2 Collection is an update on a classic.
Ys anime are pretty solid.

The rest of the series is like Dragon Quest: Your enjoyment of 'classic style' will determine how much you like them.