am I playing 10bit videos correctly?

Lewdindex

this is what my OSD looks like during playback of kametsu's Nagi-Asu 

inpyrs.png

I'm seeing "D3D11 windowed (8bit)" so I'm unsure of if i'm actually playing the video in 10bit.

And the main monitor I'm using is Acer XB271HU

I also followed the mpc hc guide from here 

Edited by OppaiHeroStar

2 minutes ago, OppaiHeroStar said:

thanks for that, so 8bit monitors can correctly play 10bit videos is what i'm understanding

would a 10bit monitor play it any differently in terms of quality?

No problem. Video playback comes down to what CPU/GPU hardware you have, as a higher bit depth takes a lot more resources to decode. You could playback a 16bit video if you really wanted to. The video file bit depth has more of an impact on the encoding outcome and quality/compression (10bit solves issues like banding).

As far as I understand it when it comes to monitors, the difference between 8 bit and 10 bit versions would be negligible/not applicable as the only thing you are changing is the amount of available output colours.

3 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

well bd disc is actually 8 bit  so its not that you need 10 bit monitor. 

That's just for compatibility reasons though. If every playback device had 10bit support, guaranteed BD's would be 10bit, 1) they would be able to fit a lot more on one disk and 2) the encoders would have one less thing to fix \o/

• Like 1

yeah i meant just not yet, unless things change xD i dont think bd standard can be 10 bit though

a guy rumored to be dynit encoder wrote a nice thread about that a while back.

supposedly he found a trick and thats why dynit bds are so good compared to jp but he clarified its not real 10 bit

Edited by sfaxt

well bd is just a disc i guess you can put anything in it. i was talking about the current standard of bd video. they have to sell different players first, and thats unlikely to happen till they change disc format.

-----------------

if you ask me i dont even bother. never bought a disc in years. im a digital distribution guy, because i hate dusting and wasting space xD

Edited by sfaxt

4 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

...and thats unlikely to happen till they change disks

lol, that's a catch-22. And they are unlikely to sell 10bit disks until 10-bit players become "the standard" (which is influenced by the availability of 10-bit disks). I think the bottom line is that the hardware needs to change first and then disks. At least it will be backwards compatible.

yeah first we ll see new format specs  then players then content. but in the end after 10 years every disc is a mass of useless plastic :P because dated

they only release discs and players for the $$$ its not close to hdd conveniency

Edited by sfaxt

On 12/22/2017 at 2:36 PM, Moodkiller said:

lol, that's a catch-22. And they are unlikely to sell 10bit disks until 10-bit players become "the standard" (which is influenced by the availability of 10-bit disks). I think the bottom line is that the hardware needs to change first and then disks. At least it will be backwards compatible.

This is already occurring. The new 4KBD+HDR standard uses 10-bit video, and any display that's listed as HDR compatible should be a 10-bit display at minimum to meet HDR spec.

Which is why we want that your name 4KBD decoded; it has HDR spec and should theoretically have the additional color space provided by 10-bit color that 8-bit colors just won't include. could be gorgeous.

• Like 1