I'm getting fed up with my PC

Tsu.Ku.Yo.Mi

So, two weeks ago, when I have the abomination that was Windows 10, one day my PC couldn't wake up from neither sleep nor hibernate mode; my PC and all my ext HDDs would function but my monitor won't show anything except the power blinking on and off. Next I tried everything, from disabling hibernate, to installing older versions of Intel MEI, to alterating shit on Power Options.....ALL RESULTED TO NOTHING. So I wiped out Win 10 with EVERYTHING in it and re-installed Win 7 fresh, thinking I would solve the problem, but NOPE! Same shit's happening with that as well! What the hell is going on...it hasn't even been a year since I bought the PC or even 6 months that I bought the monitor.

Now, the only thing that does work is to leave my ethernet to wakeup on LAN, but the problem with this is only the monitor goes to sleep, while all of my hard drives AND the PC is still on the whole time, and that's NOT what I want.

Please help a man who's this close on losing it...

The fact that you switched OS's completely tells me it's not a software issue anymore, but rather hardware. I would have a look into your BIOS settings and check what the sleep status of the CPU is set to. Iirc there are 2 major options, s1 and s3 sleep modes. More here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/225833/Tweak_Your_Windows_PCs_Sleep_Mode.html

Besides that, does the computer run okay when you're using it? I.e doesn't  turn off randomly?

1 hour ago, Tsu.Ku.Yo.Mi said:

Ever since I got this thing in March, apart from power outages via weather or some jackass messing with the wires outside, absolutely no random turn-offs.

Hmm, yeah then I would look at the BIOS just to be sure. And maybe even trying a different sleeping mode for the CPU if you have the option.

I would locate anything in BIOS regarding sleep or hibernate and disable them. Let Windows control how your PC sleeps.

Personally, my system is on all the time. My monitor will turn off after half an hour of inactivity but, for the most part, I leave everything running.

I have a WD utility that puts my external drive to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity and practically all my programs that I leave on all the time are running on my nVME drive.

So, the actual mechanical drive in my PC isn't really doing a whole lot most of the time, unless I'm accessing it or playing a game that is located on it.

Anyway, disable anything in the BIOS regarding sleep. Even if this prevents Windows from controlling sleep settings, at the very least, you won't have a broken sleep/hibernation mode anymore. From there, you can also slowly turn on settings you want to get it where you want.

Okay, a few things:

I have a HP (PC: HP Compaq 8100 SFF Elite, technically only updates for anything this is Win 7/8, but not 10). Also, it doesn't support S1 or S2 sleep modes, just S3 (from the cmd, I tried BIOS settings but didn't have anything MK listed down).

I saw a website of a problem similiar to what I have and came across a method that you'll need every device to wake up the PC when it sleeps. Well, I know I have a wireless keyboard and mouse which I use a lot to wake up, and my ethernet for...whatever reason, but they also state to drop-down human interface devices and open everything that was inside of it and allow the device to wakeup the PC to be checked. I did that, put PC to sleep for two hours, use the mouse to wake up, and IT WORKED!

Now the real test is to see if I can wake it up after sleep overnight for many hours.

On 12/3/2017 at 4:45 PM, Tsu.Ku.Yo.Mi said:

Okay, a few things:

I have a HP (PC: HP Compaq 8100 SFF Elite, technically only updates for anything this is Win 7/8, but not 10). Also, it doesn't support S1 or S2 sleep modes, just S3 (from the cmd, I tried BIOS settings but didn't have anything MK listed down).

I saw a website of a problem similiar to what I have and came across a method that you'll need every device to wake up the PC when it sleeps. Well, I know I have a wireless keyboard and mouse which I use a lot to wake up, and my ethernet for...whatever reason, but they also state to drop-down human interface devices and open everything that was inside of it and allow the device to wakeup the PC to be checked. I did that, put PC to sleep for two hours, use the mouse to wake up, and IT WORKED!

Now the real test is to see if I can wake it up after sleep overnight for many hours.

Hm, glad to hear you have at least found something promising. I didn't realize you had a wireless keyboard and mouse - I remember having a similar issue with my setup before on a wireless system but since switching to a wired keyboard and mouse, all has been well.

Did it work after the longer sleep?? Also you should be able to press the power button to wake it...