Granblue Fantasy The Animation

Koby

kV3WVL7.jpg

MAL

This is a world of the skies, where many islands drift in the sky. A boy named Gran and a talking winged lizard named Vyrn lived in Zinkenstill, an island which yields mysteries. One day, they come across a girl named Lyria. Lyria had escaped from the Erste Empire, a military government that is trying to rule over this world using powerful military prowess. In order to escape from the Empire, Gran and Lyria head out into the vast skies, holding the letter Gran's father left behind—which said, "I will be waiting at Estalucia, Island of Stars."

• 1 month later...

This has mostly been a disappointment.

There isn't really any depth to any of the characters that isn't just superficial. Characters can be described as: naive boy who wants to go where his father is, naive damsel that everyone protects, woman knight, sarcastic repairman, hyperactive magician-in-training. Beyond that, there isn't anything to them and one of the biggest reasons for that is we've had almost no backstory to any of them. All we know about MC is his father left him alone in a village to go to some mystery island no one seems to think it's possible to get to and thus MC wants to chase after him. Which is cliche as it gets. HxH did the same deal with having Gon wanting to chase after his father... Only they actually built on that and gave us the reasons he felt as such. Here not so much.

Then in terms of actual plot progression, nothing much has happened on this front either. Only 4 episodes to go and all that has happened is: MC happens upon a girl being chased by soldiers and ends up dead. Girl splits her life energy with him which means they must always stick together, so he leaves the island with her on an adventure to find his dad. They end up crashing on an island because the Knight didn't know how to pilot an airship. Conveniently the island they land on has a master airship mechanic and a great airship ready to go. So after some random incidents they fly to another island for no other reasons than to randomly chance upon a little girl who decides to go with them. So they fly off to another island. There, you're fully caught up with pretty much everything. Yes, they took 9 episodes to tell events that could've very easily and normally would have been told in half that. Instead we've got only 4 episodes to go and we're still just randomly island jumping and gathering random crew members so they can chase down MC's father that abandoned him.

Nothing grandiose and expectations have severely been let down. I was hyped about this show... but obviously I shouldn't have been. This is another mobile phone game adaptation by Cygames, but it's certainly not on the level of Rage of Bahamut by any means, which is unfortunate. I was really looking forward to a nice fantasy-themed anime with dragons and whatnot. Similar to what one would expect of an anime based on a classic Final Fantasy game <- which would be awesome if it happened. Final Fantasy Unlimited was terrible and doesn't exist, okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Mind if i ask whether you'd be releasing subs for the last 2 episodes. Reading the above wouldn't be suprised if you weren't but I thought it's no harm in asking.

I actually liked the show so far despite agreeing with most of the stuff you wrote. Propably because I just likely "fantasy adventure" in general and cliche RPG tropes. 

• 2 months later...

Any suggestions for similar anime to watch? Honestly maybe this is not worth a db release even if it's not that good, unless it gets season 2 and during it the character evolves more.  I'm a huge fan of fantasy theme, demons, elfs etc, liked Gate , Bahamut, Densetsu no yusha and further. Interesting whether there's anything more to pick up to archive. Great review by the way! I've only read manga of Gran Blue yet and checked the artbook with characters guide, it seemed kinda ok but nothing special. I can say that characters are  very nicely designed, but yeah the story didn't have any kick in manga either. From your review it seems like the plot you described could've been really put into just few episodes.. but not 70 percent of the show's footage...  Also since aniplex licensed it , then most likely if it gets an USA release then it might've not a dub even... and aniplex pgs subtitles are kinda pixelated from what, I remember back in the past :o 

Edited by dorall
fix