Hey guys, 

So I was over at Nyaa the other day, looking at some of the anime torrents by Kametsu users, and I was wondering something. There is something called a 'web seed', which is basically like a third-party service where you can upload your content, and then load the download link from there into your bittorrent client, so that it acts as a seeder. The main benefit is that you need not leave your computer on while the torrent seeds, as after the upload, everything is handled by the remote server. I know Dropbox has such a feature, but you need a 'Private' folder or something, something that not ALL users have, and the main downside of Dropbox is that it only seeds as long it is the sole seed. If another user starts seeding, Dropbox no longer seeds the torrent, resulting in a drastic drop in download speed. Also, there is no point in creating multiple Dropbox accounts, for much the same reason. So, my question is, do you guys know of any other free/freemium services which are either implicitly webseeding services, or can be used as web seeds? Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, velo223 said:

So, my question is, do you guys know of any other free/freemium services which are either implicitly webseeding services, or can be used as web seeds? Thanks in advance. 

I messed around with this a little bit in the past. Basically all you really need is a direct download link. Doesn't matter what host its on (to a degree). I used Uptobox as (for a free user) it was easy enough to get the DDL and save it to the torrent. But ofc it didn't help those in the country where it was blocked (majority of the audience) so I have since stopped bothering.

It's great for initial seeding, but thereafter, the peers should keep it alive (tracker dependant). As ZeroPenguins said, seedboxes / 24/7 dedicated seeding setups are the best way to go. Webseeding suites those attempting torrenting from their home connection.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Moodkiller said:

Basically all you really need is a direct download link. Doesn't matter what host its on (to a degree). I used Uptobox as (for a free user) it was easy enough to get the DDL and save it to the torrent. 

Thanks for that little tip. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these third-party file hosting sites have some sort of expiry for their links? Is it possible to get a DDL that does NOT expire? Also, yes I'm too broke to afford a dedicated server, so this is the only route I can afford to choose, if only for initial seeding. 

• 1 month later...

I do use RDP and let my torrents get seeded there. You can also get VPS then install uTorrent webclient, that should be fine as well for seeding someone else's torrents.

On 2/12/2017 at 1:08 PM, velo223 said:

Thanks for that little tip. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't these third-party file hosting sites have some sort of expiry for their links? Is it possible to get a DDL that does NOT expire? Also, yes I'm too broke to afford a dedicated server, so this is the only route I can afford to choose, if only for initial seeding. 

I have Uptobox premium and currently have 500GB+ of files there I believe, mainly Asian content. They don't delete your files for as long as you have premium plan (but ask them first, don't quote me on this). I bought one year when they were on sale and I don't regret it. ;)