Get to Know Me

Quinton Cole

Hello, everyone. My name is Quinton Cole. I am a 17-year-old autistic and I like Japanese culture, movies, and video games. One of my favorite manga series of all time is Akira Toriyama’s Dragon Ball. I am currently collecting the Digest Editon, which is currently going on. The Digest Edition of Dragon Ball recreates the chapters of the manga as it was originally serialized in Weekly Shōnen Jump. I am also trying to pass a law to the U.S. Government that will protect the rights of the people to watch animation on home media in its original, unedited version, whether its a old-school short cartoon, an animated movie, or an anime movie or TV series, which means no company must refuse to release something in its original, unedited version, whether its Disney’s Song of the South or Warner Bros.’ Censored Eleven. On animated movies or TV episodes that gave people seizures when it originally aired, there should be a warning saying such. This law also means that films or TV series that are hybrids of live action and animation should be shown in its original, unedited version. This law I’m trying to pass will also protect the people’s rights to read illustrated books in its original, unedited version, whether its prose, like Roald Dahl’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or English translations of manga, like Dragon Ball or Pokémon Adventures. I also believe that the length of a copyright term here in the U.S. is WAY too long. I personally believe that the length of a copyright term here in the U.S. should be how it was back when it started in 1790: 14 years with an optional 14-year renewal. I am trying to make this happen so works from the 20th century become part of the public domain. Here are my requirements for this copyright law if it is approved.

1. Works that have already been around for two 14-year terms (28 years altogether) should automatically enter the public domain.
  2. If a work has been around for 14 years and a company that owns the rights to it decides not to renew the term, it should enter the public domain.
  3. Even if a copyrighted work originated in a foreign country, it should still enter the public domain here in the U.S. if it has been around for two 14-year terms.
  4. Once a work enters the public domain, it should never exit.

Thank you for reading this post and please comment.